Tips for Failure - Or - How to Guarantee a Life Of Being Broke - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    Be TOO obsessed with money. Greebo's post suggested this went beyond just financial failure. You may not have debt and that's important, but being excessively, obsessively frugal can banish a lot of other good and very human things from your life.
    Very True! Money is NOT everything. (It only seems that way when you haven't got any...)
    Sorry - forgot - this thread is tips for FAILURE.

Money IS everything - you should be totally obsessed with hoarding as much as possible!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalandsimple View Post
    A lot fail financially, not because their dreams are too big, but because their dreams are TOO SMALL.
    That's a great one...
    If you must have a goal, make it easy - Earlier I said take no risks. Ok, but sometimes you HAVE to do something different - life is so unfair and throws crap at you all the time, after all. So when something MUST change, make sure you do the absolutely easiest thing possible, so there's practically no chance of failing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LIE -- in order to travel down the road to failure at a nice and speedy pace one must become adept in the skill of lying. The ability to lie so wonderfully that YOU BELIEVE IT is a basic requirement. Self delusion is a must.

"I'll pay this off next month." "I'll get this done tomorrow." "I'm doing fine!!" "I can stop at any time...!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't stay on top of things; Don't worry about overdraft charges, I mean everyone does it, right? Don't worry about paying those pesky bills on or before the due date, those late charges or arrears don't really add up to that much. Don't save up for big expenses, trips, home repairs, auto repairs, just charge it.....and don't worry, be happy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Realize that maintenance is for suckers after all you do not have time for keeping track of that along with everything else. You have the oil changes done after all they only take about 20 minutes at Jiffy Lube but who cares about keeping those pesky automotive maintenance schedules such as when you have to have your transmission/radiator flushed, timing belt changed etc. Afterall if you have to much trouble with your car/truck you will just buy a new one. It is just not that big of a deal.
    Last edited by larabelle; 07-10-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: additions...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalandsimple View Post
    A lot fail financially, not because their dreams are too big, but because their dreams are TOO SMALL.

This is a great thread by all but this one I think says it all!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cry over spilled milk - I've seen some pretty miserable people in pretty acceptable circumstances because they're always looking back bemoaning whatever they did wrong. Clean up the milk and get on with your life!

Focus on what other people think - it doesn't matter to an excess. What matters is what YOU think! YOU are the one you will have to face in the mirror the rest of your life. Do what you think is right, even if it will be thought odd (or even silly) or not stylish or whatever. I'm a master of that one - not inflicting it on anyone else, but I don't think spending time/energy/money on only vanity is right for me, so my hair is simple, my clothes and shoes are sensible, and I have no artificial nails/haircolor/tattoos/etc. I wear a $6.00 watch and replace it as needed. In the environment I live in, this is not only considered odd, it is inconceivable. A few people get it, a few thing I'm poor, a few can't stand me, and a few actually admire me and want me to "teach" them - the majority just wonder why and kindly refer to me as an "ex-Californian" often followed by "you know!" as if that explains it all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Edna_E View Post
    Focus on what other people think - it doesn't matter to an excess. What matters is what YOU think! YOU are the one you will have to face in the mirror the rest of your life. Do what you think is right, even if it will be thought odd (or even silly) or not stylish or whatever. I'm a master of that one - not inflicting it on anyone else, but I don't think spending time/energy/money on only vanity is right for me, so my hair is simple, my clothes and shoes are sensible, and I have no artificial nails/haircolor/tattoos/etc. I wear a $6.00 watch and replace it as needed. In the environment I live in, this is not only considered odd, it is inconceivable. A few people get it, a few thing I'm poor, a few can't stand me, and a few actually admire me and want me to "teach" them - the majority just wonder why and kindly refer to me as an "ex-Californian" often followed by "you know!" as if that explains it all.
    Oh I love this one!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see myself in more of these than I want to admit...

Don't let your kids grow up when they are in their 20's they are adults it is not your problem feed them but stop bailing them out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by itlw8 View Post
    I see myself in more of these than I want to admit...

Don't let your kids grow up when they are in their 20's they are adults it is not your problem feed them but stop bailing them out.
    In addition:
    Let your kids guilt trip you into bailing them out. After all you were a bad parent and they did not have everything which they should have when they were younger. Afterall a new car when they entered highschool was their due along with the latest fashions each school year along with every new/innovative computer gadget which came out. Also, you did not provide the optimal environment for them to grow up after all you did divorce their mother/father although she/he was not a good wife/husband to you. So you owe your kids for the rest of thier lives and bailing them out financially on a regular basis is a very small price to pay for the anguish which you put them through.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Edna_E View Post
    Cry over spilled milk - I've seen some pretty miserable people in pretty acceptable circumstances because they're always looking back bemoaning whatever they did wrong. Clean up the milk and get on with your life!
    Amen sister....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smoke, Drink excessively and be obese/overweight after all medical research which suggests those behaviors are detrimental for your health is just that research and research is not accurate 100% of the time. Also don't you know that marijuana helps a person relax and it really should not be illegal after all it is not illegal in many countries. Nothing will happen to you. Anyway if you have a stroke or heart attack or are diagnosed with lung cancer or diabetes then health insurance will cover the cost after all that is the reason why you have it. Also, why eat healthy all those vegetables (lettuce, spinach, carrots) are just rabbit food plus what about the preservatives on them and then there is the samonella scare related to tomatoes. No you are an American and you are a meat and potatoes man/woman. Your forefathers ate lots of beef and potatoes, drank excessively and smoked and you are going to do the same. Your physical health is in no way connected to your financial status.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Promote your children as well as your grandchildren to a life of being broke due to poor health by modeling obesity to your children and encouraging your spouse to do the same. After all although medical research shows that the risk of becoming obese is greatest among children who have two obese parents due to parental modeling of both eating and exercise behaviors. It is just research and what does the medical community know anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My tips for failure:

1 - Never accept help when you really need it: Everyone could tell you the best way to make your life more enjoyable, via financial means, but you're too busy sticking your fingers in your ears and saying 'LA LALA LA'.

2 - Always live above your means: Buy that gas-guzzling SUV, own every electronic you can have, charge more to your credit card than you can pay each month...just don't think about saving any money.

3 - Give in when your kids really want something, even if you can't afford it: Buy them the most expensive things you can possibly get for them. Sure, they won't have any food on the table or any roof over their head but man, they sure will look good while doing it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't start a retirement fund You can always count on SS to be there.
    Don't start a savings or emergency fund. you can always use your CC
    Don't bother making your own food Why make it when you can buy it or even better go OUT TO EAT and have someone make it for you.
    Don't Re use or Recycle why bother you can just buy new.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast