Tips for Failure - Or - How to Guarantee a Life Of Being Broke - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't keep records

Because if you did, you would know what you own, and then your heirs wouldn't be learning about a piece of property and bonds decades after you die. (Just found out my grandmother had a bond in her name ...probably from 1978 or earlier. My grandfather did many things right, but his records were horrible.)
    Last edited by kita; 11-27-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned but not doing research before you buy. Not haggling on the price. We tend to shell out more money than necessary just because we don't fight over the price of things. Friends and family are not the only people who take advantage of us.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow what a great thread......... but I can't post here 'cos every time I think of some tip..... SOMEONE has posted it before me...give yourselves a pat on the back everyone you already know all the secrets to a rich life -and I'm not talking rich as in money

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Buy the skinny/vacation/someday clothes -- who cares if you haven't seen your feet in 6 years, your last vacation was in 7th grade, you'll wear them eventually... I hear out-of-style clothes are now called retro anyways.

Avoid sales and clearance racks -- you don't want Mrs. Jones walking by as you are looking them over.

Always have the attendant pump your gas -- it just looks cooler when you hand your credit card out the window and having him take your credit card inside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

people pump gas for you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    people pump gas for you?
    In Oregon we can't pump our own gas, which I'm fine with, I hate pumping gas. People keep argue that they should do away with it because it will make the gas cheaper. If they want that to be their position, California shouldn't be right next door, their gas is almost always $1 higher a gallon then ours is.

THAT BEING SAID.

Always buy premium gas at the best gas stations: because anything less and walking into pay is for people who are not as good as you

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Believe that a car is a necessity--Even if you live in a city with good public transportation and can walk to 90% of the places you go on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Refuse to take leftovers from last nights dinner or the big meal you had at the restaurant for lunch to work the next day. You hate leftovers and refuse to eat them.

But...you'll buy frozen pizza, lasagna, Healthy Choice, Hungry Man, Lean Cuisine, Hot Pockets, etc. Even soup in a can could be considered a leftovers.

But no way will you take food for lunch that you made for dinner last night that is probably cheaper and healthier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

bump for the new year

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't think this one's been mentioned:

Focus on the minimum payment and not the total amount of the debt, or the interest rate.

This is a good way to amass huge sums of debt. I know a few couples drowning in finance charges because of this mentality.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't see this one either... but I apologize if it's a duplicate:

Be too busy or tired to plan ahead meals or menus...
    Go grocery shopping without a list... and then, order takeout a couple nights during the week because this lack of planning means
    1) you're missing an ingredient,
    2)forgot to thaw the meat, or
    3)the fresh veggies went bad before you cooked them.

Last edited by mikandmari; 01-01-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Registered User Monroe on a Budget's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't use coupons at the grocery store. You'll be embarrassed at the checkout when the cashier has to spend more time ringing up the order when there people are waiting behind you.

Now, how embarrassed do you think someone would be if she ran out of groceries before the next paycheck and had to stand in line at a food pantry or soup kitchen?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spend so much work time doing private business that you get a warning *frugalvillageforums*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well certainly don't suffer in your homes by being 'too cold' in the winter or 'too hot' in the summer.....make sure you adjust your thermostats so you can still wear shorts & t-shirts in january....

and you don't want to stub a brand new pedicure...so make sure ALL the lights on in each room in case you would want to go into one....

and by all means...don't just settle for and 'grab' something to snack on out of the fridge....stand there with the door open and take your time so that you make the best choice for you at the moment....

and a good place to warm up and cool down (not that you should EVER have to coz you do have the thermo adjusted properly) is nice long-hot showers....in the winter...and long cooling ones in the summer (just IN CASE you perspired)....make sure you allow plenty of time for that water to run and run so that you feel 'really' refreshed when you leave the shower....

and make sure that there are plenty of entertainment options avbl in your home in case you get bored....have plenty of tvs, game systems, stereos, toys, gadgets....etc.... and keep most of them on all the time so that you don't have to bother trying to find the remotes/controllers....

change your clothes OFTEN...(at least a couple of times a day...they could get a spot while wearing) and wash often....hot soapy water is best...you want them really super clean...then throw them in the dryer til nice and crisp...and if you should happen to need to get any wrinkles out of anything else...make sure you use the dryer...its a great tool....

leave all doors open all year round...you never know when you might want to go in or out....

and if you are getting a little warm while lying in that chaise lounge sunning yourself....leave the garden hose beside your chair...and leave it running (so you don't have to get up of course) so that you can 'hose' yourself down....you wouldn't want to get too hot....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Borrow from relatives and don't pay them back because they have it better than you do. Eventually they will wise up and then who's going to bail you out?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast