The kid needs shoes... again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default The kid needs shoes... again!

Sheesh! What's with these Jr High boys, huh? Why do their feet grow so darn fast?

So my son tells me today that his shoes are hurting his feet and are too small for him. On the one hand, Payless is having their BOGO right now so that's good. On the other hand, I was hoping to not have to make any unplanned purchases this month. I did have a lower electric bill than expected this month by about $20 or $25 bucks but still.

Just a week or two ago, he needed new gym shoes (totally different), and he did yardwork with grandpa who bought him a really good pair. Well, it wasn't my money so it was nice that he got good ones- and worked for them too. But those are for PE only, now he needs new "regular" shoes. Not exactly an unforseen event, but not expected this month. I have to get used to him growing out of things faster over the next few years!

On the bright side, it's better than the dog getting hit by a car, or the transmission dying in the van, or a host of other things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

do you know about the idea of a freedom account? mary hunt Debt Proof Living advocates saving monthly for anticipated annual events like new shoes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from! We've had to buy new jeans and shoes for our 12 year old, seventh grade boy twice since school began a little over a month ago. He has shot up about two inches in a month. Now we have to buy black dress shoes by Oct. 14th for his band concert because he had long outgrown last year's pair. It was nice of his grandpa to buy your son his gym shoes, but I seriously feel your pain. At least our kids are healthy and growing, huh?

--Michelle

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know just what you mean! My 13 year old ds goes through tennis shoes like water! He wears size 11 too, so no more boys sizes (cheaper) but men's sizes.
    I did find that buying him black or brown tennies helps because at least they don't look as beat up as fast!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am right there with you. I bought two pair for this winter for my 12 year old, a size 9 1/2 and a size 11. I am hoping he doesn't outgrow the size 11.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember those days well... I raised 2 boys... all they did was eat and grow

Up your clothes budget you will need it... shoes and jeans every 2 months

Then they eat more and grow again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Plan ahead

DD has to wear either blue or black shoes for school and sneakers on gym days. Sneakers can be found year round, no problem. The navy blue or black shoes that aren't 'holiday' style are harder to find once they stock for spring...

So...

I know her feet grow. Last year, when the stores were having their clearance sales, I bought black shoes in the next size up, as well as sneakers. I actually caught a sale at Lands End and I got a few pairs (in different sizes) of the $40 sneakers for $4.00 (no, not a typo... they were 90% off).

She is wearing a size 4 right now... if for some strange reason her feet go wacko and go from a 4 to a 6... I know plenty of parents at her school who would JUMP to pay so little for the shoes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally know what you mean. My 14yo ds wears a man's 15. Those don't go on sale. If I might suggest, go buy a cheapo pair of tennis shoes for gym and bring the better quality ones he's using for PE now to wear as his regular shoes. The better shoes should take more wear and the cheapos will hold up if they are just for gym. It really does get crazy. My 10yo dd is wearing her 12y brother's discards right now. Luckily she's a tomboy and likes having 'boy' shoes. Let's not talk about the fact the 1yo just wears socks, lol.
    Last edited by joyofsix; 10-01-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL, I love all the ideas and the stories.

In the future I will have a flexible spending account but I am just starting out here, doing DR, and building my BEF- shoes aren't an emergency so I'm not supposed to touch what I have in there so far, but I might have to lower what goes in there next paycheck so I can get his shoes. I just hadn't expected this right now.

The idea about the gym shoes would be good- but grandpa is a PE teacher and they went to like 4 different stores to find these shoes so he would have proper support while running, etc. It is important to grandpa that he wear good shoes while doing sports. When they went shopping, they had a hard time finding ANYTHING stocked in his size (he's in men's too- but the smaller end so not much is stocked, not much variety).

I'll check out Payless and see what might be on sale there. Who knows, maybe I'll find a good deal and with the BOGO get a second pair in a bigger size.

My dd is pining over the costumes in the catalog mailer. I'm trying to explain to her that a $25 costume is $75 for me with all 3 of them. She's a bit down about it now, but I'm sure we'll get creative and figure out something. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a "family" thing. We try to spend only $10 for the three of them for Halloween.

We have had some very creative costumes over the years:

four armed alien - green jeans, green fleece shirt, green "tubes" for arms cut out from an old tshirt and sewn up and stuff, elastic from something (think from some jeans that I took apart for another project) attached at the elbows to support the extra arms and give them "bounce", used random strange kitchen utensils as "hands", green face makeup, and purchased eyeball headband for extra eyes ($1)

werewolf - old sheepskin car cover (cut slit in top for head, cut slits for arm holes, cut off "seat" part), used seat part to make fur circles for hands and triangles for ears, basted circles onto gloves and basted triangles onto knit hats for ears, brown make up on face, and purchased werewolfy fingernails and stuck on end of glove fingers ($1).

Elvis (jailhouse rock version) - jeans, jean jacket (that he still wears), guitar, purchased superduper hairspray ($1) - sidenote: apparently they still make aquanet.

Edward Scissorhands - bought cheap blunt scissors at dollar store ($1) and took apart, dug out plastic knives, spray painted all silver, used electrical tape to tape to gloves, safety pins put on suspenders, white makeup on face, eyeliner/eyeshadow scars on face, red lipliner on lips, purchased white button down shirt ($1), white tshirt ($0.10), suspenders at thrift stores ($1) sidenote: spent an hour teasing his hair, he spent a week unteasing his hair - This was one of our spendier costumes at $3.10.

spaceman - grey "puffy" coat (his winter coat for that year), grey sweats, spray painted old child's helmet grey, cut off sleeve of old grey tshirt and put head through sleeve to look like the undersuits in old astronaut pictures, purchased white gloves ($0.50) and grey can of spraypaint ($1)

invisible man - green army coat bought for them to use for pretend play (not counting this as a purchase because they have had it for a few years), ace bandages for head, sunglasses, gloves, hat (that was purchased years ago for pretend play) - this costume is free

nerd - (this is this year's costume, still a work in progress) Dad's pants (large so they can be hiked up high and long enough to roll up too), Dad's plaid reject shirt (bought and he didn't like it for some reason, kept it around because I have three boys and they will grow into it), pens for pocket, need to purchase or acquire: sunglasses to punch the lens out and put tape on and a pocket protector, hoping to either get for free off freecycle or purchase for $1 each

grim reaper - black graduation gown, skull mask (already had for pretend play), and grim reaper hook bought after Halloween ($1)

devil - red sweatsuit, black graduation gown (because I can't find the black cape we have), devil horns bought after Halloween last year($0.25), pitchfork bought after Halloween last year ($1)

Usually, we spend way less than the $10.

Anything that can be reused (sweatsuits, coats, etc) or we already have doesn't count in the $10.

We start really early. Like right after Halloween this year, we will start planning on next year's costume. We look for "parts" throughout the year at thriftstores and such.

Actually, the spaceman costume came about because we found a grey puffy coat that fit the oldest. When he was trying it on, he got this gleem in his eye and said that he was going to be a spaceman for Halloween.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just a quick costume idea. Google do it yourself halloween costumes. Lots of good ideas to ooh and ahh over at a better price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Living a life with an ever growing 13 year old with expensive taste in shoes and his big feet. DS is in a man's 12 and no sign of slowing down. To add to it he is a three sport athlete which means each sport's season a new pair of cleats or appropriate footwear (baseball cleats, football cleats and basketball shoes). Sometimes he has to have two pair of baseball cleats since he plays travel ball year around, on a regular season team and the all-star tournament team. Each pair of sports shoes costs around $50-$100.

Oh, and did I mention DS is a shoe diva. He has about 10 pair of shoes and all are pricey brands ($50-$120 a pair). The cheapest pair he owns are a pair of Crocs that were $35.

Since he has a job cutting grass and likes to have several pair of nicer shoes, he spends his money on most of them. DH and I do buy all of his athletic shoes and between 2 and 4 pair of regular shoes a year. The rest he buys. He is good about looking for sales, using the Sport's Authority coupons, Belk's coupons, and other department store promotions to get the most bang for his buck and still be able to purchase the brands he prefers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My kids are DS 14, DD 12, DS 9 and one on the way.

It is hard to keep them in clothes. My 14 year old is now using birthday and Christmas money to buy the clothes he wants because he knows I only spend my money on good deals.