Budge blown already - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ceashels and I had our own accounts prior to and, for a long time, after marriage. We had a joint account prior to marriage, but what went into that was each of our shares of the joint household expenses (about 30% of each of our incomes - yes, we're family communists ).

When we got on the same financial page, and really became economic partners, we consolidated everything.

We would not have ever considered this before we were married, however. Too risky. Marriage is MUCH DIFFERENT, legally and economically, than living together.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find your views interesting , OH and I have always had a joint account , to me its a matter of trust and having separate accounts seems to imply mistrust?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Most rental agencies, and utility providers want their payments all coming from one account only...

When future DH and I moved into a place of our own (that wasn't a shared home with friends), we had to set up a joint account as neither of us wanted the pressure of having all expenses coming out of our own accounts. If future DH decided to do a runner, I'd have been left paying around £1200 ($2400ish) each month out of my own account when my take home pay was about £1100 ($2200) and my debts were about that amount also. Would I have been screwed? Too damn right I would. The same applies to him of course.

So we set up the joint acct... It has NO overdraft (and never will) ,no associated CC (and never will). When we were both working, we would both pay equal amounts into it for the expenses, anything extra was again divided in half, absolutely EVERYTHING for our living together expenses was split exactly down the middle. We are jointly and severally liable for anything that goes in and out of that account, we made sure of that.

Now I'm not working and tackling my debt, my sick pay goes into the joint account, I leave two thirds of it in there, and the rest gets divided up between my debts, and a tiny amount to save. Future DH makes up the rest for our now much cheaper living costs. We have an agreement that I may spend money from the joint account, but ONLY for groceries or teeny treats (like 27p chocolate!) for us both.

It works VERY well for us. Bourne my advice would be to have a chat with your bank with regards to the fact that you're not married, and you both need to be protected finacially. HSBC advised me on what they could offer.

Oh, and don't take the man shopping!! Fool! I love my future DH to bits, but that boy loves to eat expensive stuff!! He stays firmly at home when I shop lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to have that problem with grocery shopping.

Know how I solved it? I started grocery shopping when he's at work

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At least your BF wanted 'edible' extras.

The other day my DH went shopping on his way home from work and came home with a big package of chicken gizzards. EEEEEEWWWWWW. This is not the first time he's brought them home. I complained quite loudly and my daughter actually barfed some up. So hopefully he won't buy any more awful/offal.

Another time, he brought home a big bag of frozen catfish nuggets. I think some of those are still lurking in the back of the freezer.

Seriously, I agree with the above poster who suggested you shop without your BF. And don't let him go shopping on his own unless he spends his own money!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12