Picking the CC to Pay Off
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Picking the CC to Pay Off

If you look at my signature, you'll see we have several CC's on the go right now. Well, DH and I have our honeymoon coming up in November, and our plan is to go to Texas and Louisiana. His aunt is using her Aeroplan points to get us car rental passes, and his parents are using their Air Miles to get us our flights there and back. However, we're using our Air Miles and money to pay for our hotels and for our food and shopping.

Well, we decided to clear out one of our credit cards and use that for the trip. DH had originally suggested we pay of the Amex, which is over $2000, and use that. Which would give us $2400 to use during our trip.

I got to thinking last week -- why don't we pay off both Visa's? For one thing, it would be cheaper, since our Visa's are each under $600, and in total they're $1000 each, so we'd only be losing $400 compared to the Amex.

So we discussed it and he agreed with me. So we're going to try to clear our Visa's over the next couple of weeks and use those for the trip. Then we'll start bombarding our debt once we're back. We'd like to have the majority of the CCs cleared before the baby comes in June.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you have enough cash to pay off AMEX you have at least $2,200 cash, right?

My suggestion would be to pay off the two smallest cards for $1,120, use them, limit your spending to $1,120, and then pay them off again after you get back.

That way you get your miles AND eliminate $1,100 of consumer debt.

I know you're all caught up in the joy of your new marriage and honeymoon, but if you don't get your spending under control and get rid of your debt, you'll be laying a very poor foundation for your future family finances.

Besides - you'll be on your honeymoon - your happiness should come from each other, not spending money, right?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Greebo said it well! I was going to say, if you can't pay cash then you shouldn't go. I know it is your honeymoon and all, BUT you should never CHARGE vacations (I include honeymoons in that).

I know that sounds harsh. But after looking at your debt in your signature and the fact that you have a baby coming, I feel you should REALLY tighten the reins on your spending.

JMO

Mary

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ditto Greebo and savvysniper. I'd make it a project to see how much $$ I could return from the trip with.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Something to consider, in addition to the financial aspect, is the timing of the honeymoon in regards to your pregnancy. Depending on how your body reacts to all the changes, you may not be in any condition to do much of anything, especially fly. Just something else to consider.