42% of New Parents Have No Money
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 42% of New Parents Have No Money

Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not the least bit surprised. I've personally seen it.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It doesn't surprise me.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Doesn't surprise me at all...15 years ago, I was one of them. We had two very healthy incomes and less than $1000 saved when our dd was born. It wasn't the end of the world, and we're doing quite well now. I think for some of us, children are the incentive we need to start saving.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well,my kids are adults but we didnt save anything back then. There was no 5 yr. plan and emergency fund talk. You had a baby shower to help you along and the health ins. paid most of the bill. I doubt we had $500. the whole time we were having kids. It worked out.
    I am a little suprised people dont plan a little more today though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

People in prime child-bearing years are not usually at the top of the pay scale because they haven't had years to climb up the ladder at their jobs. So it makes sense to me that they won't have much money put away, especially if they have student loan debts or a new mortgage. They also might not have amassed the everyday things in life that middle agers often have, simple stuff like the equipment for a well-outfitted kitchen or furniture or a car, so they're spending on things they need.

Lots of babies are also unplanned, no matter how good people's intentions may be or how much they try to delay things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It isn't at all surprising, and there is a lot going into the mix here. If you think about it, the majority of new parents are between 20 and 35, and it's probably a fact that in general, a lot of people in that age-range have little or no savings regardless whether they're new parents or not.

When you add in the traditional advice; go to college (debts), buy a house (debt), make a nice home for your kids (debt), don't rely on your parents too much and (if you're from a very conservative or religious background) don't do any family planning, this is inevitable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Back in the day when we had our kids we were in the same boat. Had enough money to pay the bills and buy food and not much else. Some things never change and that is a shame.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Why would that surprise anyone? EVERYTHING is so expensive in general then add kids in the mix even being frugal only goes so far.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had no savings when we had the first child in 1993. We were busy trying to just pay, the rent and buy baby stuff. We never thought a thing of it back then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I reflected on this post a bit because I have no children. When I was in my 20s and even into my 30s, I felt invincible. I went to college full time and worked full time as well as had an active social life that included travel. I remember "needing" only 5-6 hours sleep. My body felt great. The last thing I thought about was having huge amounts of cash on hand. Back then I made choices that I would not have made today, or even in my 40s. Fortunately, I landed a job with short- and long-term disability, a pension, and a decent wage. Even with this great job and benefits, an accident in 2000 left me partially disabled and with chronic health conditions. Our "good health insurance" denied my claims from Mayo Clinic and I ended up cleaning out my 403b. In retrospect, I should have declared bankruptcy. Had I know in my 20s what I found out in my 40s, I would have been more frugal. I would have made better choices in my day-to-day living.

So I do understand. Maybe having a child would have changed my decisions; maybe not.

I do see many young people changing. My nephew lives on half of his income and his wife works three days a week. They have a baby. They save a lot and they are in their mid-20s. They "get it." Some of my students "get it"; some do not.

The collective knowledge and experience that I have found on this forum has inspired me to recommend it to my students. It's not enough to have the education and credentials. You must be committed to integrate it into your financial life.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some adults still dont have savings & rely on elderly parents for things. Its insane.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm on a local Freecycle page on FB. I often see posts from young women asking for this or that, saying they are pregnant and have no money, and asking "can you deliver it to me as I have no transportation either". I cringe a bit at all this but I don't know their real story.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Since I know many middle aged adults who dont have 1000 dollars I am not surprised at all. I think its a very sad state of affairs when people allow themselves to get into these situations.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's too bad there isn't something that people could take where they could prevent births until they were ready for a baby. Maybe someone could invent it, call it "birth control" or something like that. /s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast