Frugal Village Forums banner

A new chapter - moving in 12-18 months!

13K views 98 replies 12 participants last post by  my4littlebuffaloes 
#1 ·
Been a while since I've been on here...life has been hectic to say the least! I graduated from college in May and have my dream job lined up to begin in early October (in AK). :)

That said, Dh and I are planning for me to put in for a transfer with my company approximately a year after starting (so, next fall; give or take a few months - I'll be watching for openings). We have friends who have worked for the company before and all have had good experiences both with the company, and with putting in for (and receiving) a transfer, within a year of beginning work. We're planning to move to Indianapolis, Indiana. Dh's immediate family lives there, including his grandma, and I have several cousins in the area, as well. We're excited about the decision!! :D

After both being born and raised up here, we would both love to move to the lower 48 for further opportunities for Dh in his field (it's really time now, but I need time in my position here before we go).

We've decided that after hearing of so many stresses regarding moving costs, and the process in general, we would like to begin planning, paring down, and getting our "financial house" prepared for the move.

No fixed move date (obviously), but by our best estimations it could be as early as mid-summer '15, but likely in the October to December '15 time frame.

I have been shifting more and more to a simple-living/minimalist lifestyle over the last couple years, so that will help with keeping shipping costs low...but, shipping anything from Alaska is SPENDY, to say the least!! (We'll ask around, but hope to keep it in the $1.30/lb range). For the last month or so we have been selling things slowly on eBay and craigslist...using the cash for extra debt payments and taking other things to the thrift store or giving them to friends who can put them to good use. We are continuing to do this...have several items up on both eBay/CL now. :)

Goals are to have cash for the move, zero CC debt, and the car paid off. This will be possible, just need to keep on task. I'm going to be cooking MUCH more at home, we'll be taking lunches to work the vast majority of the time, and any drinks with friends (whether out for coffee or a beer) will be "fun money". Period. (We each get $50/month "fun money" and track it in excel). We will continue to focus on using up toiletries we already have before buying more, making what we have last until move time or doing without if things wear out beforehand, and I have aspirations of reducing our already-low utilities further.

So, my goal is to post here for accountability. 12-18 months is a long stretch and we will have a lot of stresses throughout this coming time frame. But, if we stay focused, we will be able to accomplish a LOT! :)

I would love some input on these questions, especially:

1. How are Marsh's grocery prices compared to other grocery stores in the area? I know there's an Aldi and they're on the more affordable end of the spectrum, but have only shopped in one once. We are somewhat familiar with Kroger, so if that could be a frame of reference, it would be great! :)

2. Any extra info on the area would be appreciated! We will be going to Indy to visit family in September and if there are areas/stores/things that would be good for us to check into, I'm all for it!

3. Trying to decide if it's worth shipping my sewing machine. I haven't sewn in about 2 years, but have solid sewing skills. Small repairs I tend to just do by hand, anymore. I know it can be a great tool to have when needed...just not sure if we'll need it enough to justify shipping it? (It's about 25 lbs; in excellent condition). Thoughts?

And, just a side note on our tickets to visit family this fall...they were paid for with airline miles. The fees came to a whopping $70 RT. We get free checked bags down (Ak Airlines), but not on the return flight (initial bag check is with another airline: $25/bag). Dh and I are considering, if it's acceptable to his dad, checking one suitcase that we'll share and 3 boxes of keepsakes/books to store at his dad's place (shouldn't be in his way) when we fly down in September. Each suitcase/box can weigh up to 50 lbs, so that would save us 150 lbs on shipping!! It's super early to move things, but we'll get down there... What do you all think of this idea? It shouldn't be an inconvenience for his dad and it would be things we wouldn't need for the rest of the time we're up here. Good? Too soon? And, we'll be staying with family and they're loaning us a car while visiting, so no extra costs that way. We will take them out to dinner and take a small gift for their kindness...but, that will be in our allotted travel $.

Not planning to move much furniture...nearly all of it we own is second hand or about worn out, anyway. While this means we'll save the shipping costs...we *will* have to replace things when we arrive. Priority will be a new bed and other apartment basics (trash cans, light bulbs, cleaning supplies). And, then we'll add other things: table/chairs, dresser, nightstand, etc. as we can afford them (cash) and we find good deals. This is part of what we will be saving up for in moving costs, which I will need to break down into more specifics as time passes. We will drive one car down the AlCan highway when the time comes, regardless of time of year (weather). If our second car is still running, we plan to give it to our best friends to use for as long as it'll last...if it doesn't make it that long, we'll become a one car family until we move.

We want to make the most of our remaining time here...with friends who we will miss dearly (but hopefully, we'll talk into visiting us once we're settled!). ;) Meals at home, along with board games will be a primary activity! Also, movies in...and occasionally at the theater (fun money!). :)

This weekend we pulled the corned beef out of the freezer that's been there since February and made that with potatoes I bought in bulk (Costco) and some bargain cabbage, carrots, and onions I got at our grocery store. Had that for dinner and it will last us another 2 days, easy! :) After that, I have the supplies to make a crock pot of soup. Yum!

Any suggestions, support, or encouragement along this journey would be greatly appreciated! :) TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats.
Kroger I shop at. We get our groc and presc. using our loyalty card for points which then gives money off gallons of gas at their gas station. We had gotten as much as .40 off a gallon.
They have their own dairy so the milk has been holding at about $2.99 here $2.49 occasionally on sale but I found the speedway had the $2.99 price too. This is MI. so the prices will differ.
I recently signed up for 2x point if we gas up on he weekends. Thurs is our markoff day here. Be sure to ask a clerk what day they do most discounting.
Thats all I got.hahaha.

#3 ·
You're already doing what I would suggest, getting rid of absolutely everything you don't love or need. Even then you'll be surprised at how much crap is left over when you've packed it all.

Plan to pack valuables and breakables yourself. You care, the packers won't. Don't wait until the last minute to begin packing. If you're moving in July you can have all the fall and winter holiday and clothing packed and labeled early in the year and put away until moving day.

LABEL EVERY SINGLE BOX. Even if it is just two words like "kitchen - dishes" or "bedroom - sheets". Otherwise unpacking is a nightmare.

You can look at the Marsh grocery ads online Weekly Ad - Marsh Supermarkets And Aldi.

Reactions: Luv2BeFrugal
#4 ·
~Congrats, that's awesome!
On the sewing machine, how much do you love your particular machine? If it's a basic machine and doesn't have a bunch of special features you are sure to miss, you might just try asking around the relatives in IN for a spare machine. You could make up a list of many such items that are "too heavy to ship" and share it with the relatives. They might love to lighten their house load and "warm" your new place at the same time.
Sounds like you have plenty of time to plan so that's a huge advantage. I'm a bit jealous. I would love to be moving back to NJ to be around family again!~

#5 ·
Well, my machine is nicer (about a $400 machine new, so maybe could get $150 on craigslist?), but honestly, I've rarely used any of the bells and whistles. I hadn't even thought about asking family if they have a machine! I *know* his grandma has one and doesn't even use hers! I'm sure I could borrow it! :) Thank you!!

#6 ·
My goal is to post 2-3 x's a week here on what we're doing to keep pressing towards our goal.

Today, I scooped the veggies and meat out of the crock pot from yesterday (put into tupperware for dinner tonight) and used the broth to make an entire pot more of potatoes and carrots. Yum! =) That will stretch things even farther! Still have enough potatoes, etc. to make the soup later this week.

I've loaded more stuff to take to the second hand store into my car and made a list of errands to minimize gas/driving for tomorrow. Have a bag of stuff for one friend and a large envelope of stuff for another loaded, too! More stuff out the door! :)

And, I have 2 people coming by this evening. One to buy a mirror and one to buy a small shelf. Hopefully, they show up...ya never know with craigslist! But, if all goes well, that will be 2 more items out of here and some cash in our pocket! :D Need to get to posting some more stuff to sell soon!

#7 ·
Remember, too, when the time comes you can sell your heavy winter gear. You're not going to need snow boots and parkas in Indy.

#8 ·
I had mentioned this to Dh...he can sell all his snowboarding gear! (He rents a board). And, I can sell my snow gear.

Would you recommend basic winter boots? (I barely wear them here...I am *not* outdoorsy! But, I do have them). Yet another thing to try to figure out if I want to keep! LOL

#9 ·
Oh...forgot to mention another plan we have going... We've been taking all our extra used books and DVDs to the used book store (it's pretty fantastic!) for in-store credit. We will be using the credit for store gift certificates for Christmas gifts this year! :) Should save us about $75 in gift money! We've been building it up for a while now! :)

I'm planning to finish reading ALL my books and turning them in before moving. E-books and the library from here on out, for me! :) And, we would take 90% of Dh's books down this September (still need to check with his dad on this plan).

On the "wear it out" front... I am planning to actively use our crock pot making soups, etc. until it wears out...less to ship and frugal/nutritious meals in the mean time!! :)

#10 ·
Yeah, basic boots for winter if you have to go out, just to keep your feet dry. Dec-Feb you'll see 6-8" a month, in 1-6" increments, with melting in between, just like Kansas City. Temps will range from 0 to 40, with some nights below 0. Positively balmy compared to Alaska.

#12 ·
I just moved from the west side of Indy and I cried. I was really happy with where I lived. if you were moving this year....I have a house to sell! lol

To answer your questions..

1. Marsh stinks. IMO, the quality is crappy and the prices are too high. Kroger is much better than Marsh. Meijer is even better than Kroger. Aldi is ok, it just depends on which one you go to. It's been my experience that Aldi quality varies quite a bit by store. The one by my house was crappy for produce, the one by my mom (on the south side) was FABULOUS. Also, there's a new grocery store that just opened on the south side, called Fresh Thyme...OMG, I was sad that opened right before we moved and I am hoping they put one in Dayton (where we are going to eventually end up, Fresh Thyme is a new company) THey are SPECTACULAR for sale prices and quality both. I lived on the west side of Indy, in the Avon area (btw, if there are kids involved, Avon and Brownsburg schools are great schools.) and I would have driven the 30ish miles down to Fresh Thyme each week for produce, over Aldi. The prices and quality are that good.

2. not sure what specific kind of info you are looking for. What side of town is your family on? Weather in Indianapolis, IMO, sucks, but then it's probably better than Alaska. But what sucks is not so much the winter as it is the wild swings in weather. It can be snowing one day, dropping a few inches, and then be 70* just 2 days later. A few summers ago, we had temps as high as 108, multiple days in a row, and we can get winter temps as low as 10 to 20 below (which I am sure is nothing compared to Alaska, but as a temp difference, that's quite a bit.) I got married in March, it was 60* the day before the wedding, on my wedding day it rained, and snowed, and we had wind warnings...and then it was 60* the next day when we left for our honeymoon. As far as sides of town, the only place I would recommend against is the east side of town. It's very easy to live on pretty much any side and commute to whereever else. So even if you work in Carmel, it's possible to live in Greenwood and still get to work withing 30 to 45 minutes.

3. Don't bother shipping the sewing machine. If it gets jostled or bumped or dropped, it can be knocked out of alignment and end up being unrepairable. Sewing machines can be easily found new or through CL. In fact, generally speaking, CL in Indy is pretty awsome.

Ask me whatever you want, I can't promise I know the answer but I will answer what I can :D

#13 ·
Thanks, happysmileylady! :) That was so helpful!

We are planning to live as close to the heart of downtown, as possible (monument circle area). So, anything on that area would be good! :)

No kids, no pets. :)

It's good to hear that craigslist there is so great! We love using craigslist...most of our furniture is from it. ;)

#15 ·
I was just in Indy visiting my sister. I thought the downtown area, monument circle, was a beautiful area. My sister, her husband and I walked around down there for an hour and never even got to the river walk. (next time) My sister lives on the South side, outside the "freeway circle" in a nice little condo sub. took us ~15 minutes to get there.
Near her are all kinds of stores such as Meijer, Kroger and Walmart.

http://www.traillink.com/trail-photos/indianapolis-cultural-trail.aspx

#14 ·
I am not fond of the downtown area. There are parts that are nice and parts that aren't so nice and it can go from one to the other pretty quickly. There's quite a bit to do downtown and being central in the city you would be pretty central to everything. I can't speak towards grocery downtown, but I can say that I am pretty sure there is no Meijer downtown. I don't even know if there's a Kroger, at least not near the monument circle area. But, it would be a really easy drive to get to good grocery shopping. There are a lot of freeways all over Indy and they make getting to nearly any point in the city pretty quick. Even without the freeways, getting from my house (which was on the westside in a suburban area, outside 465) to Monument Circle would only take about 10 minutes or so.

#16 ·
Today was a no spend day. I've been driving to the university to study for my job that starts in October. Ended up getting some free food today! And, there's always free coffee and tea in certain areas of campus. :) I know it takes gas money, but I get SO much more done!! And, I use their electricity, tp, water, etc. All in all, a good bargain for me! I'm taking my lunch with me, so not spending any money.

The sales from a couple days ago (craigslist) both fell through. Sigh. :( Someone may be coming on Saturday for another item I have posted (I say "may" because it seems so hit and miss). Did renew the 5 ads I have posted.

Another item on ebay sold and I put the box in the mail today! So, overall, we are making progress. :)

#18 ·
So, I made the crock pot of soup on Saturday...we had it for dinner Saturday, lunch and dinner Sunday, dinner tonight, and there's enough for one more meal for both of us! :)

Went grocery shopping today. Really pleased with the deals we got!

~ 11 boxes of cereal (7 of them are organic)
~ 4 - 12 packs of soda (store brand)
~ 2 boxes organic crackers
~ 6 boxes organic granola bars
~ 1 box protein bars
~ 2 - 12 packs double roll toilet paper
~ 1 10 pack bar soap
~ 1 method foaming soap pump
~ 1 - 64 oz pace picante sauce
~ 3 - nectarines

All for $74.44!! :D

We'll need a gallon of milk and some bread towards the end of this week, but that's it for groceries! Most of this went towards our stockpile. We're pretty good at stretching our food budget, so this will (hopefully) be a big area of savings!

Sold one more item on craigslist...another $12 in my pocket! :) Renewed the other items still posted.

Really working at keeping power usage down. Dh and I are both actively charging devices away from home (at work for him; on campus for me). And, keeping lights off, etc.

Have a birthday (kid) party to attend this week. I've been working at pre-planning all gifts and re-using wrapping (only if it looks nice/new; nothing shabby). Bday wrapping was repurposed and the 3 small toys I picked up would have been ~$15 at full price. I spent just under $6! :D It's a BBQ, so I don't have to buy/cook dinner that night! Bonus! :) And, fun with friends is always priceless! :)

On that same page, someone gave me something (new) to give to my dad for his birthday this November. Woot! It went into the gift drawer! :)

All in all, we're keeping focused! :)

#20 ·
Another item just sold on eBay! $70, less fees and shipping...so, maybe $55? Woot! :D Moving right along!

Renewed the Craigslist items...no bites recently. Fingers crossed we get those sold soon, too!

Heard back from Dh's family. Not only are they SUPER excited we'll be moving there, but they said we could absolutely store some stuff at their place until we get there permanently. :D So, I've found one box free so far and we just packed it tonight! Max weight for the airline is 50 lbs...we got it packed and weighing in at 49 lbs! :D I can just hear the savings! So, that will go down in September with us...as well as a couple more boxes (as soon as I find some more sturdy ones for free). :)

Coordinated to get a bag of stuff to a friend, yesterday. Also, have 4 more bags to take to the thrift store tomorrow! And, I'll drop the eBay sale at the post office tomorrow, too. Shuffling things right on out the door! It's all going well! :)

#21 ·
Well, I pulled 2 large Rubbermaid tubs out of our storage unit (comes with apt). I was thinking we needed boxes for our checked bag/shipping/savings plan...but, Dh reminded me that lots of people up here check Rubbermaid tubs to the bush (outlying Alaskan villages). I measured the empty one we have and, sure enough, the size works! :) Only had a few things in a second tub, so emptied those out and ta-dah...durable shipping/storage containers! We packed those two this evening. Altogether, they come to 49#, 42# and 38#...a 129# total, for estimated (low-ball estimate) savings of ~$168! :D

In the midst of the packing, Dh found 2 more books to take to the used book store for credit, plus a couple things he decided he didn't want and those went into the donate bag. :) All these little things are adding up!

Had another good grocery run today...got grated cheese, 2 cans tomato sauce, a 16 oz tub of sour cream, 2 roma tomatoes, and a 12 pack of soda (added to stockpile) for $8.53! :)

This week I've been working on taking stock of our foodstuffs. We really don't have much in the way of canned goods, but they're in order, now! We have quite a bit in our small freezer, so I think that will be the bulk of my focus for meals. I know some things are on their way to freezer-burned and I don't want anything to go bad.

We fly out in 6 weeks, so my food budget goal/focus until then is going to be to use up what we have in the freezer, plus whatever canned goods compliment. I'll only be picking up other canned goods if they're on clearance for *amazing* prices. So, groceries should primarily be perishables (milk/produce/bread) until we leave. Hoping to save some $$! We want to make sure we have sufficient cash on hand...I need to do some business clothes shopping while down there. Took stock of my business clothing and I need 3 slacks (minimum), 2-3 tailored blouses. If I can find anything more that's a bargain, GREAT! I'll have loooooooong workweeks and plenty of clean clothing is always a plus! Will have some dry cleaning going on (poo!), but it's a professional environment, so that's just part of it!

Dh will be on a business trip for 3 days next week, so I'm planning to use staple foods here to make a big batch of something, and just eat off that while he's gone...keep the food $/use low. They'll pay for all his meals, etc. while traveling...woot! :)

#24 ·
Right now it is mostly saving money. We need to do some pretty large repairs before moving...replace AC unit, redo flooring in 4 rooms, minor repairs other places. After that, we need to save for a down payment on a larger place. I am currently eating down the pantry items. We garden, so I just refilled the freezer with garden produce, but the cabinets are full. We also need to use up toiletry items. I am selling a few items here and there, but since so much was given to us, bought used, or just worn out, I am trashing much of it. I am selling kids clothes and toys at a consignment place.

#25 ·
Well, I thought about your question of what I was doing to prepare. I thought saving money was my main goal, but as I know (and don't always follow), organization helps save money. I have extra of many items just because I didn't have them organized. I also realized I buy too far in the future. I have about 8 shampoos, a dresser full of clothes for the next two seasons for my kids, etc. Yes, I got this stuff on sale, but now I have to think about packing up my dresser, DH dresser, DS dresser, DD dresser, a dresser full of craft and school supplies as well as winter clothes for the adults, and a dresser full of future clothes for the kids! I could empty and sell the dressers!

#26 ·
Sounds like you're on your way! Selling the dressers is a great plan! :D

Also, if the shampoos are a brand that Walmart carries you can usually do a few returns without a receipt per year. You could gather up everything that you can't reasonably use before your move (toiletries, cleaning supplies, sealed craft supplies) that Walmart carries and do a return. It would only get your store credit, but you could then use that for perishables and other things you *will* need pre-move...even if it's just packing tape, etc! :)

#27 ·
Today I dropped another bag at the thrift store. More out the door! And, I have a bag of stuff ready to go this evening that I'm giving to a friend.

I went to Costco today, but only got eggs. Trying hard to buy only needs on the grocery front.

We are going to go to the movies tonight (fun money), but aren't buying any of the food/drinks there.

I used up some perishables in our fridge for my lunch today. Still working through the freezer...sticking to the plan! :)

Found a good deal on laundry soap, so got 2 bottles. We were running low...that should last us about 2 months.

Baby steps! :)

#28 ·
Had a great time at the movies last night...well, mostly. LOL Wonderful friends to enjoy it with, show was great, but after we got there and I sat down...I realized that during the previous movie someone had spilled a drink in the seat I sat in! Wet backside!! >< I went and told a manager so that they could cover the seat...didn't want the next movie-goer to have a similar experience. She was so nice...she gave me 2 passes! So, next time we go to the movie, it'll be free! :) And, we were good...we stuck to not buying any food or drink there...and made sure to account for it in our fun money spreadsheet when we got home. :)

Today one of my best friends picked me up and we went shopping. I barely spent anything, but it was good fun! Got a couple jars of spaghetti sauce for only $1 each! Used one to make dinner...the rest came from the cupboard/freezer. It fed us dinner tonight and there's enough for our dinner tomorrow night. :) And, got the rest of the items for Dh's sister's baby gift (taking it w/us to Indy) on clearance! Awesome bargains!

I confess, I spent money on lunch at Taco Bell...not very fancy, but was yummy! :) I am so completely going to miss our girls' days out after we move!! :( Mostly we just chit chat and window shop...I enjoy every minute of it! :) Simple pleasures...

#29 ·
Today was a no drive - no spend day. :) We honestly don't have many of those (we drive almost daily).

Ate from the cupboards/fridge all day. And, we both have food ready to take with us tomorrow. :) I do need to go to the grocery store for a few basics this week (need milk, for sure). Did anyone else see the Fred Meyer friends & family discount that came out? I want to go ahead and get a few staples we need (totally out of salad dressing and mayo). Might as well get it while there's a bonus discount!

Today I sorted through some more odds'n'ends...have another small bag of stuff to take to the thrift store. Also, I sorted through our entire file box!! I have 5 thick manila envelopes that Dh is taking to the shredder at work tomorrow! Yes, MORE stuff out the door!! Woot! :D

Getting there, bit by bit! :)

#30 ·
Today is a no drive-no spend day for me and a no-spend day for Dh. :)

I'm still focusing on using up our food stores here... Spent less than $50 on groceries (perishables) this month, so far! =)

Just pinching pennies, in general. :)

#31 ·
Another no-drive, no-spend day for me! Another no-spend day for Dh. :D

Today I used 2 cans of tomato sauce (clearance, 49 cents each), one box of Barilla whole wheat pasta (bought on clearance, 59 cents), and used the rest of the mixed veggies I got a Costco (about $1.25 worth).

So, for $2.82 I have 5 meals for me (ate one for lunch) and 2 (pasta only) for Dh. He'll add cheese and butter to his, about .30 each...and I'll add parmesean cheese on each of mine (5 cents/time), so another .25, for a total of 3.67 for 7 servings. 52 cents a meal!! Woot! (We will get protein from other sources; keeping balanced/healthy).

AND, it cleared out a box and 3 cans from my cupboards and space in my freezer! Not to mention, no cooking (reducing utilities use) over the course of using those 6 remaining servings.

Feeling like today is making more progress towards our goals! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.