Trac Phone??

Thread: Trac Phone??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Trac Phone??

We recently sold our house in order to down size and pay off some debt. We will be living in an apartment for awhile (we signed a six month lease) and are going to try to pay off more debt during that time. I'm looking at reducing our expenses and realized we are actually no longer in contract with Verizon. So I'm wondering if we can switch our existing phones to trac phone? Does anyone have any experience with them? I hear of them a lot when reading frugal or debt blogs, etc. We use our phones for internet quite a bit, although we will have internet at the apartment so it's just using it when out that we'd want to make sure we have. Any ideas on how we can switch our phones or do we have to purchase new ones??

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You'll probably have to buy new phones (or used ones). Your best course of action would be to call Tracfone and find out what the requirements are.

There are several other companies that offer free or discounted service once you purchase a phone. FreedomPop is one, not sure off the top of my head the others.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a tracphone. It was bought as a cheap phone to give our teen boys when we drop them off somewhere. Now that one of our guys has his license, it goes with him when he drives somewhere for him to call us (when he arrives, when he is leaving, etc).

If you are someone who uses your phone all the time, I would do some research. You pay for each call and for each text message and for each minute you use the internet. We did get one that could do internet and texting. You purchase minutes and air time. Air time is good for a set amount of time (the cards we buy are good for 90 days). Texting costs a third of a minute (even those little "no" or "k" texts cost a third of a minute and you get charged for those spam tests also). I am not for sure, but it seems like internet costs two minutes for every minute you use it (we don't use the internet, but it is there if he needs it).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a trac phone AND LOVE IT!!! However I only use it ( talk) in an emergency. I do send/recieve texts on it however.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use trac phone and it is great. Low cost, only spend what you want depending on how many minutes you need each month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been with Tracfone (TF) since 2007 and have been happy with it. It's best for light cell phone users.

Go to TF website and shop phones and put in your zip code. It will show you which phones will work in your area. All TF Android phones use Verizon (but they don't roam), so if any Androids come up you can use them. The non-Android phones use AT&T (mostly).

You may be able to switch your phones to TF service as they have a BYOP now, but I don't know much about it. It depends on what phone you have.

The two best forums I found for TF discussions are
    Tracfone/Net10
    Turk

They both have discussions on the BYOP plans and you can join the forums and ask what would work best for you.

Right now I have the LG Ultimate 2 Android phone. I bought it from shopcelldeals on ebay. I use it a lot for wifi, camera, gps, mp3. Occasionally I make a call or text with it!

Some people save on TF minutes (which carry over forever as long as you have service days left) by using apps to make free calls on wifi, such as Google Voice and the Hangouts app.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a tracfone for many years now. Purchased it mainly for emergencies but have found it useful to keep me occupied when I am at an appointment. If you use wifi I don't think it deducts any minutes. Their website is useful for information and have always found their customer service helpful.

If you are a heavy internet user it may not be worth it. Other than the tracfone website there are many sites that rate tracfone phones which may help you decide if their service will be good for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have you looked into Boost Mobile? It's a charge a month but if you miss a month it's just shut off and you pay it whenever. Also there are various plans and several are the payment goes down $5 a month for every 6 months that you are on time up to 3 times or $15 total. No contract. Worth looking into if you are more than just a very casual user.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you do decide to go with Trac try to find a deal that they triple your minutes for the lifetime of the phone.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Honesty I'm not sure that tracphone is the way to go. There are several pre-paid offers that are available to consumers. One of our favorites at Money Dummyz is Republic Wireless, they offer unlimited talk/text and unlimited wifi internet for just $10. There is even Total Wireless which is offered by trac phone that runs on the Verizon network (so you know you would like the services being offered). Then there is also the monthly no contract plans offered by both Sprint and T-Mobile USA (T-Mobile USA being our favorite of the two).

I hope this gives you some valuable insight on the goals that you are trying to achieve. We love seeing people trying to make the best decisions they can financially. Another thing to consider if you haven't already is dumping your cable bill and picking up a service like Netflix for only $7.99 a month. Get an old school antenna and you will have local channels at a higher quality than cable and then Netflix to supplement all the others!

Good Luck!

--Money Dummyz