Mint.com

Thread: Mint.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Mint.com

I signed up for Mint.com to help me with figuring out where my money goes. I am also going to make a spreadsheet. I would only use the spreadsheet, but knowing myself - I'm afraid I will get lax in filling in the spreadsheet.
    Does anyone have any tips for using Mint.com? Has it helped you or did you not like it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really like Mint. I use it for a joint credit card that my wife and I use for daycare, groceries, utilities, auto insurance, dining out, travel, and baby supplies, etc. It allows me to analyze how much is going out the door for a given category. I use the "Trends" section the most. You can sort by the recipient or through time. I also use the budget section, and it will tell you if you go over, and you can edit it during the month, but not after. For example, our grocery budget is set at $400 which includes diapers. I could change it to any amount I wish during the month, but not after the month ends. I enjoy categorizing the transactions. There is a way to split a transaction into two categories. For example I could separate diapers from a grocery store purchase, but I don't get that granular.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didn't like it because it didn't work with my employer's 403B plan every single time it changed, but now I have Vanguard for everything so I might like it better if everything can be shown in a snap shot. It also didn't allow a few of my credit cards either, I wanted something that had everything in one place and I didn't have to hand enter stuff. But I have not gone in to try updating accounts in a long time, it may be better now.

I actually prefer putting everything and I mean everything on my Discover card, I only have one MD who does not take it. It separates out into categories roughly and that's good enough for me, I can see where I am over and under, I can see the whole year at year's end. I don't follow a written budget, I just have in my head x amount for this category, y for that category and adjust when the numbers are too high, this seems to work. I pay the bill in full monthly and I really do not think I am someone who spends more because I'm using credit. In fact, I think I spend less than if I had the cash because I know I have to be accountable to those categories.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't get my bank to go in, even though it comes up as a choice. I do everything with my debit card.
    Bernice, I have a Discover card - it's the last cc debt I have to pay off. I would like to do what you do, but I am afraid since this will be the first time (after I pay it off) that I will be cc free in many many years. I worry I wouldn't have the discipline to pay it off each month. Maybe sometime in the future after I get back on my feet. Out of all the cc I have had, I do like the Discover card the best though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used mint for years. The simplicity of its budgeting and tracking helped my wife to understand where all of her money was going, and allows us to keep things in check. It's also helped me to notice charges on my card that neither of us made. Occasionally I have to adjust the categories that mint applies something to, but that's pretty rare. Tracking net worth and spending over time is something I do occasionally to keep an eye on things. While not super important to me, you can also watch your credit score through mint. Getting emailed alerts when going over budget is a nice feature. As Rimlock said, you can get as granular as you want, although I keep things high level at this point.

Cons? Syncrony bank credit cards do not work with mint, which are typically store branded credit cards. My 403b account also does not sync. I'm not entirely sure how budgeting for non-monthly expenses works out. I never really looked into it.