Do People Really Spend More With Credit Cards?
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Do People Really Spend More With Credit Cards?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billhar.../#5fdd88b01c19

"Those told they could pay by credit card were willing to pay twice as much as those who had to pay in cash."
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it really depends on the situation and individual. In my past I most certainly would, learned from my mistakes now but there were years in the past I splurged on Christmas and things like that just because I had the credit card to support it and would pay it off over time. If I was to purchase things in cash back then I wouldn't have spent nearly as much because I only had a set amount of cash.

Now the only thing I really use my credit card for (currently crawling out of debt) is things like rental cars and such that I want the extra protection on and I pay it back off right away. Everything else I pay cash/debit so I only spend what I can afford

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My father never had a credit card. I had to convince my mother to get one before he died. She never carried a balance and was very frugal with her money.

In my early 30s I struggled with high student loan balances and did have a balance on one credit card. It made me sick to my stomach to think I was paying interest on it and vowed when it was paid off I'd never to it again. So I got a second job and dug myself out of debt. It was hard but I certainly learned my lesson. I was actually a CPA at the time so I needed to be a better manager of my own money.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me, no I don't. But, I am absolutely terrified of credit card debt and literally pay any balance on my credit card weekly.

I do like the double cash rewards!
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also love the cash rewards. I get 6% off groceries with my American Express, 5% off all Amazon orders, and 5% off gas with another card. It really adds up over time. I don't think I spend any more than if I didn't have cards.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do probably spend more with credit cards than with cash, although it's not much more. If I went grocery shopping with $40 because that's all the groceries I need cost, that's all I'm spending. If I see a good deal on something, too bad. With a card, I'll get the good deal, and go over the $40.

That's not really the topic in the article, though. The article discusses people willing to spend $40 on something with cash, while people with cards are willing to spend up to $80 for the same thing. I don't think this aspect applies to me. Cards are essentially cash for me, so I believe I would be willing to spend the same amount either way. Event tickets were discussed in the article. The only way I'll spend more using cards is for convenience. Some event locations are further away than I want to visit in person, so I'm willing to spend an extra $5-$10 in fees to avoid the trip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Before I got serious about budgeting, I spent more with my CC. I just purchased what I needed and also what was on sale and was surprised when I saw how high the grocery bill was. I don't spend on clothing or material things, unless the kids request something.

I use my CC exclusively but am definitely more mindful of how much I spend.