How I Became a Frugal Convert and Found the True Value of Saving Money
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How I Became a Frugal Convert and Found the True Value of Saving Money

How I Became a Frugal Convert and Found the True Value of Saving Money | Money

"Before converting to frugality, I lived by the motto, “I work hard for my money, I deserve to spend it.” This motto had us living paycheck to paycheck for years."
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am not finding any big problems with this article.

I like that they are teaching their children about how to be frugal as well. I wish my parent had taught me. They were living pay check to pay check and really did not see that as a problem. My mom told me that as long as you could pay the minimum due on bills you were doing okay.

People on the site sometimes look down on people who are not frugal. But I think of my own experience. My parents were not good examples and the schools did not teach anything about being frugal. And the media bombards people with ads encouraging people to buy lots of stuff they don't need. It is actually pretty amazing that so many people stumble on frugality at all.

I like the she states that frugality is not about deprivation. There is a lot out there that talks about making sacrifices to save money. It makes frugality seem pretty unattractive. When I search for things about frugality online, a lot of negative stuff pops up. Of course there is supportive stuff as well. But I also get people talking about how they tried to go a whole year without buying new clothes and it was the worst thing ever.

When I very first started looking into frugality, it seemed like everything was geared toward people who were dirt poor. Since I was dirt poor at the time, it was a good fit. But it also gives the impression that frugality is only for those people who have to be frugal because they do not have much money. That seems to suggest that once you got into a better financial situation it was not necessary to be frugal. I really kept most of my frugal habits out of habit after we started doing better financially. It has only been fairly recently that I became aware of people who were not poor embracing frugality.

There is this expectation by many people that if you are making enough to afford the more expensive brands, you should get them. I think the idea is termed "rising expectations." My personal experience is that many people are mystified as to why I would get a less expensive brand when I could afford the higher priced stuff. That is why it is comforting to me to be here where people get it.
    KathyB
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!