Not sure where to put a question about finding a new line of work..?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Not sure where to put a question about finding a new line of work..?

So I'm going to put it here anyway!
    If you were to seriously be looking for a new line of work to make your living at (or in our case for dh as he's our main breadwinner), what would you seriously consider doing?
    Things seem to be changing with dh's company and it looks like we may be needing to look around a bit is my reason for asking.
    There are opportunities everywhere but we're at the age that we don't want to start a huge undertaking and have to work like merchant marines for a long time. I'd love to hear ideas if you have any.
    Dh has been in ag related sales and farming forever but we're open to a complete change.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm right where you are, Lisa. DH hasn't worked a full week all year! He wants to start his own business, but we don't have the money to finance a truck, trailer, and machine. The work is everywhere, but his boss refuses to leave the town where they are based. He won't take any work outside that town! How dumb is that?

DH has had a job offer from an old business acquaintance, but this guy is a workaholic and DH would be back to 12 hour days 6 days a week, like when he worked for his parents.

DH is a heavy equipment operator, but can also drive a dump truck. He can't really go into any other line of work. It's all he knows, he's been doing this since he was a kid.

I've decided to stop harping on him about it. It's his decision.

I have to say, if it wasn't for eBay, we'd be in huge trouble.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in the process of changing my career too. Just because of burn out- I'm a critical care RN.

I'm going back to school to be an ASL interpreter (sign for the deaf). I have a nephew that is deaf, although he lives in NY and I don't see him much, I do know how to sign. Plus, I decided that because as a nurse, I see how difficult it is for the hospital to find someone who signs and is willing to come to the hospital to interpret (and we live near the state school for the deaf! I can only imagine how hard it must be in other areas of the state). I checked into the going pay rate for interpreters and discovered that is comparable to my wages as an RN, and I will need a few years of classes at the local community college (I already have a degree, I just need to take the specialized classes).

So. . . . . think long and hard about what skills you already have, what are the needs of your area, what are your interests and passions? Then check into what you need to do education wise or certification wise, to do the job.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Master Dollar Stretcher dz_blonde_girl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Something you LOVE!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does your DH have any transferrable skills that could be used in another field? Like for us, my DH does cable TV and he's been doing it since 1987. He can easily take his skills and transfer them and work at a TV station or radio station as a technical whatever. He can maintain transmitters, antennas, towers, dishes, A/V equipment. Pretty much if a wire goes into it or comes out of it- he can fix it, operate it, set it up and maintain it. It's all the same technology as cable TV, except he probably wouldn't have to travel all over the countryside.

Or does he have any hobbies he can turn into a career- like welding, woodworking or whatnot? You can make some serious money doing custom cabinetry or wrought iron work.

Just some ideas to get the wheels turning...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the input girls. He has lots of skills and is very smart. We just haven't found the "right" thing yet. But we're still looking and who knows? Things could work out just fine where we are. I appreciate the suggestions.