Walmart VS Grocery Stores
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Walmart VS Grocery Stores

Wow!! Since I have been starting to really watch the grocery bill, and study all the sale flyers, I am SHOCKED at how much better I do when I shop at Piggly Wiggly or Festival Foods over Walmart. Even when they have the same things on sale, Walmarts are higher. For instance this last week Bush's Baked Beans were on sale for .99 at both PW and FF and on sale at WM for 4/5.00 Guess I got the mentality that Walmart ALWAYS has the lower price, but I am realizing that just aint true!! So glad I found this forum, so many great ideas!! THANKS!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes if i shop outta the grocery fliers i save alot. i do know alot of people that will price match to walmart just so they can get it done in one stop.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've found great deals at Wal-Mart, but I also find those great deals overshadowed by the temptation to buy buy buy - way too much stuff - because it's THERE.

If I go to the grocery store, circular and coupons in hand, I buy what I need and come out with just that. If I go to Wal-Mart, coupons in hand, I still come out with more than I need or intended to buy. I've been to Wal-Mart a grand total of twice so far this year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't buy grocery items at Walmart because I can always get them cheaper at ShopRite. However, if I am at Walmart for other things (I really don't go there more than once every few months) and I see a great deal in the aisle, (like one time they had regular sized packages of Oreo's on sale for $0.99 each), I will pick them up because I KNOW they are cheaper than ShopRite.

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are a few things that WM has a better price on than Kroger but when I factor in the cost of driving all the way out to the edge of town, fighting the crowd at WM, lugging my stuff out to the car (potentially more stuff than I initially went in for), driving all the way back to my house, etc., it just makes sense to go to Kroger which is less than a mile from my house. The beauty of the plan is in the menu planning...this helps me immensly!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

As for myself, compared to Quality [Bi-lo]'s prices for groceries, for me - Walmart is definitely cheaper for me.

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Walmart here is rarely much cheaper than our grocery flyer prices. And we dont have the huge big super centers....just walmarts with a grocery section. I do however buy the *aisle* specials when I see them. I work as a sales rep/merchandiser so I HAVE to go in these stores. Sometimes I tend to buy more....but other times its great to be in so often so you do see the sales when they are there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think grocery store prices are cheaper especially if goods are on sale but if I need something right away, I get the walmart brand. In my area, Walmart's 2% milk is more expensive than Giant. My husband drinks a ton of soda so I get Sam's for 58 cents.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Where I live WM is much cheaper than anywhere else for groceries, H & B and household cleaning supplies. We do 95% of our grocery shopping at WM and Sam's.

Most of the local stores "sales" are the same price as WM's normal price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBoz View Post
    I don't buy grocery items at Walmart because I can always get them cheaper at ShopRite. However, if I am at Walmart for other things (I really don't go there more than once every few months) and I see a great deal in the aisle, (like one time they had regular sized packages of Oreo's on sale for $0.99 each), I will pick them up because I KNOW they are cheaper than ShopRite.

FYI...you can price match at Walmart I do it all the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Walmart is always cheaper than our lowest priced grocery store so I will go there first. I don't care how cheap their meat is, I won't buy it there.

Then I go to my regular grocery and get meat and whatever I couldn't get at Walmart.

The stores (even the mall, etc.,) are all basically across the street from each other and only about 5 miles from my house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do not food shop at Walmart. It isn't really about the prices for me, either. It is about the stress level I feel when I walk into the store.

I can be in the best mood ever.... put me in a Walmart and the mood quickly drops to horrific. I don't even know why it is, maybe it is the amount of people EVERYWHERE you turn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by treeluva View Post
    I do not food shop at Walmart. It isn't really about the prices for me, either. It is about the stress level I feel when I walk into the store.

I can be in the best mood ever.... put me in a Walmart and the mood quickly drops to horrific. I don't even know why it is, maybe it is the amount of people EVERYWHERE you turn.
    I kwym. I hate going there on the weekends, so when I HAVE to (not very often), I'll go first thing in the morning on like a Sunday before most people are up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meanestmom View Post
    Wow!! Since I have been starting to really watch the grocery bill, and study all the sale flyers, I am SHOCKED at how much better I do when I shop at Piggly Wiggly or Festival Foods over Walmart. Even when they have the same things on sale, Walmarts are higher. For instance this last week Bush's Baked Beans were on sale for .99 at both PW and FF and on sale at WM for 4/5.00 Guess I got the mentality that Walmart ALWAYS has the lower price, but I am realizing that just aint true!! So glad I found this forum, so many great ideas!! THANKS!!
    :yes:

This is one of the best reasons why using a price book is a great idea. Walmart isn't always cheaper for me either, but most of the time they are.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my area, WM is cheaper in general, except for the loss leader sales. Those I either go to the other store to get (ex: Harris Teeter, since they'll double coupons) or make WM price match the ad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast