1st Trip to Save a Lot
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 1st Trip to Save a Lot

I went to Save A Lot today for the first time. I was very nervous. But I went to that part of town the Save A Lot is in and I parked the car and I went inside.

I was not really impressed with the store or its contents. I do not think I really saved that much money - at least not enough to warrant the heart palpatations I had while going to the store and shopping. There were some things in there that I know were definitely cheaper than anywhere else, but I found that I could get most items that I purchased at the SAL at the Dollar General Store.

The one thing that did make me smile with glee is that the bread crumbs were RIGHT UNDER THE SPICES! I don't know why, but everytime I am looking for bread crumbs at my usual grocery store, I always have a hard time finding them. I can't remember right now where they are kept, but I know it isn't by the spices. Anyway, it made me smile and I thought to myself, "That makes sense!" At least it does to me.

All in all, I do not think that I will be shopping at the SAL very often, if at all. At least I tried it once. That is a step in some direction for a person who is so regimented in routine and familiarity that even waking up 5 minutes later than planned is a cause for stress.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats for trying it! I know it's weird sometimes venturing into unfamiliar territory. The first time I ever went to Aldi's I was weirded out by the lady who insisted she needed to sell me her cart for a quarter in the parking lot and I almost left... but I figured out what was going on (they're refunded by returning carts) and went in.

Save A Lot for me has better prices and nicer produce & meat than Aldi's. Aldi's is close to my house, and Save A Lot is in the next city, and I make the drive. But that's just in my area- I'm sure it's different everywhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used to have a Save A Lot right around here but it went out of business so now I'd have to drive about an hr- hr and half to get to one which is the same distance as Aldis which I prefer. They are both pretty good though. I never have cared for Save A Lot's meats.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to Save a Lot about 3 months ago, just to check prices. The prices were comparable to the grocery store in the town I live in, even higher on some things, so I haven't been back. Not worth the trip for me, but I am sure it depends on what you have close to you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop at savealot some times I see where they have gone up on some of there prices.
    I`m sure some states may be different.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We don't get a lot at SAL, but they have really good prices on baby food and baby cereal. Baby food is 39 cents each and cereal is $1.19. I usually order coupons from ebay and the baby food ends up costing me 25 cents each and the cereal 19 cents each. We bought american cheese there and it was awful - it was wet. yuck. Haven't bought too much else there. We prefer Aldi's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's been a long time since I've been in a Sav-a-lot store. It's just not my cup of tea to shop there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a SAL in almost every town here, it seems. I used to shop there pretty much exclusively, except for produce (theirs is usually old). But over the years, I've noticed that the quality of their canned goods has gone way down.

We bought veggies there on a shopping trip about a month ago, and the green beans tasted WEIRD...like the can they came in. Freaked me out a little bit, so we didn't eat the rest of them and tossed the other cans I had bought (the frugal fairy inside me was howling with rage!). I've also noticed their store brand of cheese isn't all that great - it has a gummy texture.

For the most part, I've stopped shopping there now, because I've found other local stores are lowering their prices to compete - so I'm hitting the sales and loss leaders where ever I can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We go to SAL occasionally. We went yesterday and spent $42. We bought some canned goods. They had Dr Pepper 2ltr .69 after coupon that was ON them. We also got some spices and a little bit of meat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a SAL, but I don't usually go there. I may have to go there next week.