'Bout fell over dead! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They may have been doing some stocking/prepping or they may just spend a lot of money on groceries... and I myself can't spend that much on a weekly basis. However, I do believe no matter what I choose to spend on groceries, if someone were to be rude enough to ask me what, why etc I'm doing this, I would have to give them a look like they are NUTS for being so rude as to ask me. Ultimately it's none of my biz what others spend at the grocery store or why, just as it is nobody's business what I spend.

Yesterday I spent well over two hundred doing some stocking up on long term stuff I know we'll be using throughout this winter regardless. I'm sure to others it seemed like I had a wad of cash to blow, but I see stocking up on canned goods, non perishables and such at this point as a hedge against inflation. I don't feel like I need to explain that to some stranger behind me in the checkout line. Just my two cents :-)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A lady in front of me @ Aldi's had a filled to the top cart and spent only 164$. I said to her..I can't believe all the food you got for 164. Aren't we lucky to have an Aldi's store near us. That started a nice conversation between us. She had 4 kids and that was for a week, and sometimes she might have a few jars or cans left over. I saw nothing wrong with my curiousity. Many times I will ask "is that any good?" on a food item I've never tasted, I always say thank you. Maybe it was the tone of voice the person was using..the people just gave her an earful!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WOW

that feeds my entire family of 5 for a couple of months.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to admit I have done this. One time I was shopping for the month and I did have a lot of things. I had hits some sales on canned goods to go in storage. A lady behind me ask if I was shopping just for the week. I said YES, and I didn't do to bad when you know I have a family of 12! She looked at me like I had fallen to earth from a different planet. Then she ask me how I did it? I had to snicker all the way to the car as my parting shot to her was.....oh no I forgot toilet paper! And believe it or not all these groceries will turn to [email protected]*@! She just stood there and watched me leave. I told my husband how badly I hated noisy people. I have even had a family member dig in my grocery cart to see what I was buying! I will continue to make up stories when people are rude, they want to know and I will tell them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

HOLY CRAP!!! And to think, I spend about that in a month for 8 people, 3 of them are teenagers who are going through growth from hell and I think they are eating too much!!

Registered User northernmom2boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Im in Canada and I know our groceries are a bit more expensive and we do a big grocery every two weeks and it comes to between 225 and 275,depending on how much I stock up.I have two boys,so there are 4 of us.My cart is full to the brim.I cannot stand when people comment on my amount of groceries.Some women are like oh my god Im happy I dont have to put that away,or one man said Im guessing you dont live alone.So I know you all dont mean any harm but dont comment on peoples groceries in front of them unless you are going to pay for them lol
    Oh and dont get me started on those people in the grocery isle that have to have reuinions with long lost friends and dont move!!!! lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Holy Crap is right!!! I could feed my family very well for atleast 6 weeks..

Dot
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm cracking up at some of your replies!

When it was just 2 of us I bought my groceries by the month at Aldis...I'm still trying to get back to that. Anyway, a man and woman in front of me said, "You must have a large family." I replied, "No, it's just the 2 of us, but these are for a month." Then I was complimented on how "smart" I am. So I didn't mind at all.

My husband and I buy supplies for our church food pantry. One day he and an elderly, male friend were buying soap products at Dollar Tree. They had 3 carts of shampoo, dish liquid, bar soap, and laundry detergent. The people in line were giving them funny, curious looks. One lady stepped up close and said, "My that's an awful lot of detergent!" Our dry-humored-elderly-male-friend turned to her and said in a serious voice, "The circus is in town and we've been chosen to give the elephants a bath." He turned looking forward and never said another word, but my husband said all the people behind them first gasped and then realization hit and they started to chuckle. The woman who made the comment was very red faced.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm wondering if maybe it was a big family, but they were just having a little fun with you.

My husband and I were planning on having a big family, but it didn't work out that way. But I still read a lot of large family blogs. Sounds like something one of them would say.

In my pre-frugal and pre-cooking days, I could have totally spent that much money on food. And it wouldn't take me three carts to do it. But that would be at our grocery store that is notorious for high prices. I always used to shop there because the lines were shorter. (Yea, I'd like to go back and shake myself...) I don't know if I could have done that at someplace like Aldi's. That would have been tough.

I wonder what that family would think if they knew we were all wondering what their story was.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimeebee View Post
    For 3 people, one week?! No way! They must have been pulling your leg. I hope they have a big pantry and a couple of freezers.

I thought this thread was gonna be about the price increases again. Since I shop a lot of stores loss leaders, I usually only go to Aldi once a month. But if sales are bad then I sometimes end up there more often. Every single time I go there the prices just keep increasing. The ground turkey is now $1.19 per lb!! Up another .20 since the last time I was there...I found one in the way back bottom of my deep freeze dated 12/2007 and it was .69/lb!! I usually try to rotate...LOL but I guess that one got away from me. Geesh...that has to be about a 40% increase in price (guesstimation cause I don't feel like doin' the math.)

You are right on the money with Aldi's. I do most of my shopping there and I used to cut almost all of my ground meat with their turkey (1/2 and 1/2 of whatever the recipe called for). It made my budget go alot further, but I've stopped doing that now, becuase I can get ground beef marked down to .99 per pound at one grocery store the day it is expiring (I know some don't agree with that method...but I take it home and throw it directly into the freezer). So it is actually more expensive to cut it with turkey now, which is crazy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope that they were just pulling someone's leg, cause that is a lot of money for just one week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let this be a lesson to unmarried men everywhere!

Marry a woman who cares how hard you work to support your family and not just throw your money down the drain and not even TRY to do better.

Crazy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think they were messing with the nosey woman. I would have done the same thing! Maybe they donate some of it, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think she was pulling your leg or they all had a tape worm.I don't mind if people ask me when I buy a lot of one thing.They usually aren't being mean just curious. I used to buy at least 3 hamburger helper or lipton noodle sides for one meal. So i would buy lots of them when they are cheap and I would get people asking me how many people I had to feed or why I was buying so many.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sure they were kidding. I would have probably said something silly like that. I could just hear my Dh saying "I think we'll probably have to come back before the week is out, I just don't think we got enough." A few weeks ago I was at CVS, and I had found some good combination deals on deodorant. I decided to get a whole bunch for stockpiling, and that was almost all I had in my cart. I had like 20 sticks of deodorant, and I was just waiting for someone to say something about it. I was going to tell them that my husband stinks really bad!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast