Aldi Alternatives?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Aldi Alternatives?

I have to admit I wish we had an Aldi's here, I hear the stories on here of their prices and can only dream of what it must be like. I have even checked in the bigger cities around here and it is a store that just hasn't made it to our area yet.

What do you find as a good alternative for Aldi's, your second favorite store for savings?

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I personally have never heard of some of the stores that people are talking about on here ie: Save-a-lot or Krogers. We have Fareway here which is pretty reasonable next to Aldi. I don't know if this helps or not?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Krogers= ralphs on the west coast./ we have save a lot and aldis. Im in the midwest. When i lived in C. there was costco-saveway-ralphs-albertsons-vons. cant remember what else.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went to an Aldi's for the first time today. Got carrots (buy one get one) for $1.19. I have to say I wasn't too impressed with anything else there. I guess you have to hit them on a specific day???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Gardengal18 View Post
    Went to an Aldi's for the first time today. Got carrots (buy one get one) for $1.19. I have to say I wasn't too impressed with anything else there. I guess you have to hit them on a specific day???
    Canned goods are half the price at Aldi than they are elsewhere...as well as the frozen hamburger meat and chicken breasts...milk and cereal is so much cheaper there....I buy 95% of my groceries there....the only thing that I don't buy is their sliced cheese, because my kids prefer the store brand at BiLo.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aldi's is great for stocking up. You just have to try a few things & see if they are OK with you. I find most things are as good as other brands I am familiar with & if they are a little different, I decide if the cost savings is good enough to go with it. Milk, eggs, cheeses, flour , sugar etc have always been good buys there. Our Aldi's has quite a lot of good produce reasonably priced. Personally, I'm not fond of their hot dogs & sandwich meats, but I don't eat a lot of those anyway. I just visited my DS in PA & was surprized to see his cupboard stocked with Aldi's canned food. He can eat the Aldi's version of spaghetio's & they are cheap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Patty A View Post
    I have to admit I wish we had an Aldi's here, I hear the stories on here of their prices and can only dream of what it must be like. I have even checked in the bigger cities around here and it is a store that just hasn't made it to our area yet.

What do you find as a good alternative for Aldi's, your second favorite store for savings?
    We have Aldi's & also Save- a- Lot, which is similar. Limited selection of brands, use your own bags etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The closest for us is Sam's Club and it is about a 2 hr drive. So, we use angel food ministries. Even using the sales angel food is cheaper.

It is hard to get food coupons around here. When I do get some coupons it is for eating out, furniture polish, name brand stuff or other stuff we don't use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh to have an Aldis here in Canada. The closest we can get would have to be Superstore. Even then our prices are way higher than you get in the States.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used to have Aldi's here in Canada way back when....I wont age myself now lol. But b/c of the name issue and laws it was called Valdi's. Since I joined the village I kept hearing the speak of Aldi's and its bargains so on one of my cross border trips I saw an Aldi. Since I was driving, I hi-jacked the tourbus (van) and hauled tail into Aldi's to check it out. Not bad....not great. Maybe the location I was at was older and not as modern/pretty? It was dingy, dark, old and smelly - spoiled something through the whole store.

As others have said the canned goods have great prices. The processed packaged foods have great prices as well. The dairy/produce - well to me (back then) it was higher then what we'd be paying in Canada.

I can see the attraction of Aldi but I guess its preference. I may not like to shop at Aldi's b/c its 'dingy' (the one I went to) but I have no problem going to downtown Toronto to Chinatown where its utterly gross and disgusting. Aldi would be like like a Superstore next to Chinatown. For the love of life - I can not tell you why I am like that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    We used to have Aldi's here in Canada way back when....I wont age myself now lol. But b/c of the name issue and laws it was called Valdi's.
    Maybe I am "dating" myself, but I remember Valdis and it had some great deals. We didn't have one in our town so I used to go to the next town over to shop there. Now I shop at No-Frills. It seems to have the lowest prices overall.