Walmart pulling items from shelves - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is happening at all the stores here, not just WM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our Walmart seems to be doing renovations or something. It looks cleaner and brighter and almost everything has been moved around...what's weird is some departments have been moved back to where they were when Walmart opened originally. They have done away with the fish in aquariums in the pet area, just ripped all of that out. Also they took out almost all of the yarn section which bugs me since I like to knit. The only other place to buy yarn is at a very expensive yarn shop owned by a doctor's wife. The fabric and sewing area was completely removed. I haven't checked brands, but it looks like they have a lot of new stuff. I think the inside of the store looks more like Target now. I don't shop at Walmart a lot anymore...I prefer Target.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't read all the posts, but this article may be helpful or at least explain why some are noticing this.

Product overload: Stores are threatening to dump brands - Feb. 15, 2010

I try to shop at Walmart no more than once a month & haven't really noticed a difference on my last trip over 2 weeks ago. However, a coworker mentioned noticing something was up & I mentioned the article to her. I really prefer to shop at other stores & often can not find certain items at Walmart ever before this. Looks like I'll be spending even less there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's happening at our Walmart but it's the store brand that is disappearing, not the name brands. They no longer carry their brand of ranch dip, hamburger helper in the flavor I've bought for years, taco seasoning packs, family sized containers of yogurt, etc. It's all name brand now which I hate! I want my off brand products!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll try to pay attention when I go to Walmart on Wednesday. I noticed several months ago that they stopped carrying their own brand of chocolate chips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Why would stores stop carrying their own brands? Very strange. Everyone is tightening their belts in the way they know best - definitely at times to our disadvantage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I first read this post, my thoughts were pretty much what was expressed in the article JanieD posted a link to. I really don't blame a store that tries to simplify it's inventory, or cuts products that aren't selling as well. I'm not sure the "deals" in the article are a great idea, but inevitable I suppose.

I've noticed it mostly in my Kroger that dropped lots of things after they remodeled. In Walmart I have mostly noticed how few ordinary plain frozen veggies they have now in the one nearest me. It's nearly all the more expensive steamer bags or seasoned ones.

I was interested in the article to see that companies are rethinking how many variations on the same thing they offer. I admit to thinking for a long time that there are absurdly too many choices for some things.

I'm fortunate to have many places I can shop, so if I can't find something I want, I can always go somewhere else. But it's tough for you who live in small towns with few options.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All of our stores are cutting inventory/choices too. Not just WM.

I don't shop at WM that often.........and buy very few groc. when I do. Often won't even check their groc. dept.

This is all going to be interesting to watch..........but we probably won't benefit in the end.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well,last year Meijers did it in the main store when they remodeled. Now Kroger started last month. I was in Target and the make-up /hygiene area was torn to shreds. They were going a mile a minute w/ a ton of people. They are closing our J.C.penney and the Macy. Last year they closed 1 of the 2 Kohl's. They just can't hang on to all this product if no one is buying it.

I will just keep couponing and squirreling away dry goods. I clipped all day and sorted coupons again. I am rearranging today. (all this Week). Clip,sort,save,pay debt.Repeat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd like to add that the stores may try to put a positive spin on limiting choices, but I'm not "buying" into it. I may try a different brand, but tend to stick w/the ones I know I can rely on. I wouldn't hesitate shopping somewhere else if I'm unable to find the items/brands I'm use to. For some this may not be the an option (limited stores, driving distance & such). Guess, its another reason to increase the stockpile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've noticed this for many months but it seems that they are getting rid of the lower priced items and only focusing on the higher priced items. I shop there less and less.
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
    I noticed this at the end of last year at our WM. In fact, it seems to be worse in the grocery section. Now , on ea. item there will be one or two national brands and the WM brand. Some items only give you WM and one other choice. I have cut my WM shopping way down.

Our WM will not order requested items. They say it is all contolled by Corp. Headquarters.

I think it is WM's way of making you choose their brand.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but when WM went and changed their "Great Value" packaging, they also changed the quality of their products as well.
    I know it's not just my imagination because items that I had always bought in their store brand, I now cannot stand the taste of.

I refuse to buy GV products anymore, everything I've bought has been awful.
    So it's either Aldi's or Kroger's for me when it comes to groceries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This happened to our Walmart over the summer. Our town has a smaller store then most. It was remodeled and after the remodel the selection went down, ALOT. We gained more grocery items, but lost more then half of the craft section and office supplies. The groceries that were added are mostly the generic brand. Its not a super walmart, so the added groceries were nice.

My sister lives in a city and the Walmarts there are not using plastic bags anymore. They have blue mesh type bags that they sell for about $.15. THey are reusable, but not very sturdy. I am sure the WM in my town will do that soon too. They just added the blue reusable bags to the registers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw on the news this morning that Walmart is going to start bringing back products due to numerous customer complaints.

I buy alot of the Walmart brand products and while they no longer carry some things that I buy in that brand I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of what I do buy. I'm hoping they will bring back the family sized yogurt in their brand though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad they're going to bring back some off-brands, WVMom. They took a lot of things I used off the shelves. Something different is gone every time I'm there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast