Walmart pulling items from shelves - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I noticed today while shopping at Walmart that they aren't carrying as many different sizes of the same item. It seems to be the itty bitty size or the major big size. Well except on the ones that I want the very big size. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default New MSN article

I found this on MSN today

Retailers feel backlash as brands vanish- Top Stocks - MSN Money

You better believe they're gonna feel backlash. It's not going to go over well when a product that has been on the shelf for 10 or more years is just suddenly MIA.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did notice Walmart did a major re-branding when the financial crisis hit - they needed to stay afloat as well and by trying to remain competitive, they needed to still make a product but find a way to reduce their costs - ie better or worst tasting generic. They monkey'ed with a great thing and thus the uproar.

The ploy or removing brand names from shelves only to bring them back - I think that was intentional to force the national brands into manufacturing their store brand for them. Walmart does have a very large distribution audience vs local & regional chain stores. Perhaps some may see the as bullying?

What really irks me is this - example: diced tomatoes: 4 brands on the shelf. 1 national brand, 1 Great Value brand 2 unfamiliar (we think small company) brands. Upon reading the labels - the two smaller brands are ALSO Walmart brands just priced higher then the GV. All the ingredients and nutritional info are the same. Do you honestly think I'm going to pay an additional $0.62 more for the pretty label that will go into my recycling bin? Pfft!

So is this a case of savvy marketing geared towards woo'ing and duping the uneducated shopper or more time wasting for the frugal label readers?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I did notice Walmart did a major re-branding when the financial crisis hit - they needed to stay afloat as well and by trying to remain competitive, they needed to still make a product but find a way to reduce their costs - ie better or worst tasting generic. They monkey'ed with a great thing and thus the uproar.

The ploy or removing brand names from shelves only to bring them back - I think that was intentional to force the national brands into manufacturing their store brand for them. Walmart does have a very large distribution audience vs local & regional chain stores. Perhaps some may see the as bullying?

What really irks me is this - example: diced tomatoes: 4 brands on the shelf. 1 national brand, 1 Great Value brand 2 unfamiliar (we think small company) brands. Upon reading the labels - the two smaller brands are ALSO Walmart brands just priced higher then the GV. All the ingredients and nutritional info are the same. Do you honestly think I'm going to pay an additional $0.62 more for the pretty label that will go into my recycling bin? Pfft!

So is this a case of savvy marketing geared towards woo'ing and duping the uneducated shopper or more time wasting for the frugal label readers?
    I've never done my grocery shopping there but very observant that you noticed the 4 "different" brands being....not so different after all. How irritating. I've never cared for the GV brand products and perhaps those who noticed they now taste different and also no longer care for them may be swayed into buying the "other" brand, which as you noted, is really just a more expensive WM brand in disguise. I wonder if the GV brand now not tasting as good is no accident.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not a big grocery shopper for Wally World I do Kroger and use the points to get my gas afterwards. I have been getting the Kroger brand items and I havent noticed a difference in some of the items. I will try them once if I dont have a coupon on the normal item I use and so far only a few I have found are not up to par. My daughter likes only one kind of bread and my dh is the same with his tea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by georgiamom View Post
    I am not a big grocery shopper for Wally World I do Kroger and use the points to get my gas afterwards. I have been getting the Kroger brand items and I havent noticed a difference in some of the items. I will try them once if I dont have a coupon on the normal item I use and so far only a few I have found are not up to par. My daughter likes only one kind of bread and my dh is the same with his tea.
    I loved Krogers back in Indiana. I don't think there was a single store brand item I did not care for. In fact, their cream cheese I always thought was better than Philly. I don't have a Kroger anymore, but I do have a Publix and so far it's been the same way with store brand items. We did go to Winn Dixie once, there were some store brand items I did not care for, and they seem to have a poor selection of most products. I'll stick with Publix. The only store brands I've ever REALLY hated have been Wal-Mart (their yogurt is a joke...) and AL's, they carry Our Family (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called.) Knowing now that WM is dropping some national brands I sure won't be shopping there; they really sealed their fate with me now! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

And just when I thought my opinion of WM couldn't get worse...

do they think people really are that stupid? I guess so. I'm sorry, but shopping at a store where they sucker people in every sneaky way possible isn't my cup of tea.

If any of you living in Canada are tired of the WM brand name stuff, especially after some have mentioned that the taste of the GV products is worse, I'd really suggest Superstore's No Name line. I don't notice a difference at all between major labels and the NN brand line. I bought a box of NN stuffing (because I had this massive craving for stuffing) and tried it. It was the same as Stove Top but about $2.50 cheaper.

Their organic corn puff cereal (which is what we give DS11 since it's organic and gluten free) is exactly like the Envirokids corn puff cereal. The difference is that I can get more cereal for less price by buying the Envirokids cereal than the organic President's Choice cereal. Superstore is the only store I know of that carries two versions of an item before you even get close to the name brand stuff... which is No Name (the generic) and President's Choice (which is their brand name, so to say).

It's a shame that a national and international store is the only option for some people and with their tactics, someone's getting screwed in the end. I'd uproar too if I was in the position where WM was my only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate WM's tactics of how they bully us consumers around. I try my best not to shop there. It's like they don't want you to use coupons on name brand products and they want to make you do what they say. I am glad that they got busted. I wish that they had more products that are made in the USA too. Sam Walton was for products made in the USA and since his death, the sons running walmart are doing a crappy job. Yeah....more money for them but I am praying for some other place to take them DOWN with better and moral business practices. So I limit my shopping to WM as much as I can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cheles2kids View Post

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but when WM went and changed their "Great Value" packaging, they also changed the quality of their products as well.
    I know it's not just my imagination because items that I had always bought in their store brand, I now cannot stand the taste of.

I refuse to buy GV products anymore, everything I've bought has been awful.
    So it's either Aldi's or Kroger's for me when it comes to groceries.
    Not much matter to me because I don't regularly shop there anymore. But I have to say that their generic brand is horrible! From waxy chocolate chips, to oatmeal that tastes like sand!

I ran in over the weekend with my hubby, and I couldn't believe how over-priced they were. So glad for my Publix and their BOGOs

Intersting responses!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You know how usually there is a section in the produce department with tofu, spring roll wrappers, vegetarian deli meats, etc? Ours totally got rid of that area. I assume it is only because things weren't moving quickly enough but I was bummed out. It was much cheaper there than stop and shop.

Dang it, Walmart has to control everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do not shop for groceries there- usually just brand name cat food and certain HBA items. I may try walgreens for the HBA items and get the cat food at Kroger. Most of my grocery shop is Kroger or Aldi, and maybe Publix if they have good BOGOs. I will shop even less at WM now that I am aware of this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now that it's been mentioned, I noticed it, too. I usually buy the largest size of their generic Centrum multi-vitamins. All that's been available is the Mature Complex of same. Good thing we're mature .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For nonperishable items, you can get good deals at Amazon, delivered to your door for free.

As far as Walmart, or anywhere else, changing their inventory, I have no problem with it. Stores have to keep up with what people are buying. If people aren't purchasing a particular brand as much as others, that brand will get axed. It also makes more sense for a store to push store brands, as they will get to keep more money from that sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I noticed that they took away the Kashi Sweet N Salty granola bars we used to buy them there every week. We get them now at Krogers only when they are on sale. I noticed that they don't carry sprouts either I love sprouts.

Registered User jenloveschip2001's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For stuff I can't find at Walmart I will check Alice.com and have it shipped to my door for free. If you can't find it you can send them a message and they will try to find it for you. They have fast shipping to. I just ordered some laundry soap from them that is way cheaper than what I normally buy. It had great reviews on there website. I can't wait to try it out. You do have to order atleast 6 items but if it is something that is hard to find I order several of them to stock up so that is not a big problem for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast