Aldi and quality - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They have a fruit juice bar as a seasonal special right now - strawberry, summerberries and black cherry are the three flavors I saw - yummy - like eating pureed fruit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I live on the west coast - no Aldi's out here. I think what I find most interesting about Aldi's is that it's a international chain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My first trip to Aldi's was a disappointment because they refused to take checks or credit cards. I would shop their regularly, but it's a two-hour drive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pemberleyan View Post
    My first trip to Aldi's was a disappointment because they refused to take checks or credit cards. I would shop their regularly, but it's a two-hour drive.
    If I'm going to drive two hours to get somewhere, they better be willing to take checks, credit cards, and maybe even my first born!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
    We talked about this more tonight. We have a Walmart superstore right in our backyard, just about while the Aldi is two towns away. My wife already does most of our groceries at Walmart instead of the local regional grocery chain. Compared to Walmart, there's not a lot of saving at Aldi from what we saw. Compared to the regional grocery chains, though, there is a big price difference.
    I love Aldi, and so I do most of my shopping there....the town my daughter lives in doesn't have an Aldi, so she shops Walmart....they price match, so she takes in other grocery store's sale papers and saves the same money without having to hit up the other stores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only thing I didn't like from Aldi's~~ the liquid Dishwasher detergent. It wasn't taken the stains out of glasses, pitchers, inside of dishwasher, etc & I thot my dishwasher was on the decline. On a whim, I bought a bottle of name brand & poof-in 1 use-the stains were gone.
    I've been pleased with everything else.... Shop there about once every 2 wks.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have an Aldis about a 1/2 hour from us, BAD neighborhood. I shop there when I'm out that way. I like most of their products, Their fresh meat prices are just priced way too high, and I find the produce hit or miss like others here. That said, their ketchup, mustard, pickles etc. are great quality. I buy their seasonal items and those can't be beat, and those are things you'd just never find anywhere else.

The closest Wal-Mart is 45 minutes away, deep in Amish country. Very pricey, but then there is no competition. There are nothing but Mom & Pop Mennonite run stores, Mom & Pop butchers & dairies. Oh, and roadside stands for produce in season.

I find I do better at our scratch and dent stores. There are 3 around these parts. The closest one in in the town over, but they are worth the drive if I've saved up some money to stock up. The best deals are products that never made it to market. You can really clean up on those. There's a link floating around on the FV somewhere where you can click on your state to see what ones are near you. Maybe someone here knows where it's at and can post it for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At my Aldi's on Monday's they have some meat marked down - $1 or $2 off a package, which generally makes it a good buy. A week or so after big holidays they will usually have their spiral cut hams $5 off and that is a great deal.

I just saw that the Walmart in my neighborhood will be turned into a super walmart, which will provide some competition. I don't think there is one of those in 20 miles, maybe more. I'm not quite sure where they will find space for expansion, it seems pretty tight in there already.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aldi's are popping up all over the place here in CT.

I have one about 10 minutes from work, heading there today matter of fact.

I shop at Aldi's every couple of weeks for staples like canned beans, tomatoes, cereal, baking goods, snacks, etc. I don't buy much of their meat, so far the ground turkey and bacon are the only meat products I have bought and so far so good.

I have never seen "good" produce so I just don't buy it.

The only thing I bought from Aldi's that I didn't like is their body lotion. Felt sticking/tacky afterwards, like I needed to wash my hands, ended up throwing it out after just two uses. But other than that, I haven't bought anything I didn't like.

I visit chowhound.com alot, a bit of a food snobish site. The all hate Aldis. They are used to shopping at Whole Foods so in comparision, yeah I would say Aldi's wouldn't stand up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Polly I wish there was a scratch and dent store near me. The one near my mother shut down a long time ago. I tried to see if there are any in Maryland but no luck. When I was first married I used to shop there. It was fun to stop in and see what they had.

I have not been to Costco yet but when I do go, I'll be stopping at Aldi's to do some looking and maybe some buying. I have my price book ready.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find that Aldi's prices can go either way, really cheap or not worth it. So I really keep an eye on prices. I love the fit and active brand, everything I have tried is amazing.
    Soymilk
    string cheese is really cheap
    pasta sauce
    pasta
    soups
    they have a fit and active brand take on the skinny cow ice cream sammies that are a good price and are really good too

I didn't like their coffee

But if it is an Aldi's brand product and you don't like it you can take it back with no problems. They have a double promise something or other, so they will refund your money and I think buy you your favorite brand of that product. Ask next time your there. This makes it much easier to try new things, knowing they guarentee it.

I really like Aldi's and wish I had one closer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like most of the Fit and Active stuff, but couldn't handle the canned apricot version.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like most of Aldi's food with the rare exception of their white bread and cream of mushroom soup. My DD LOVES their 9 grain bread and won't eat any other. I recently tried their bath tissue paper that is 1,000 sheets and it was comparable to scotts as far as quality but cheaper. Their Fit and Active brand foods are very good - beer and wine - no so much :p

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go to Aldi's about once a week. I like everything except their large can of coffee.

They have a double back guarantee. Recently I had box of brownie mix that was way too dry. Tasted good, but the texture was just not there. Took the empty box back, and got a replacement box of same product. AND my money back. This is for their regular products they carry all the time.

I tell people....buy one box, or one can of something. Try it. If you like it, then go back and buy more. With the way the economy is, it is a good idea to check different stores and products out for better bargains.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123