Family Dollar and Dollar General
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Family Dollar and Dollar General

I don't see much mention of these 2 stores in here. We have become converts to them! I live in a kind of rural area, we don't have tons of shopping options. The biggest store around is Walmart, although is is NOT a super center. They recently remodeled it, and I saw their prices go up, and selections go down. We have a Save-a-lot, but not Aldis. Other than that, there are a few big chain grocery stores that are very expensive. Walgreen and Rite Aid, but they are also expensive for HBA. The Family Dollar is in the same center as SAL, so we started going in there for some things they didn't have at SAL. I was pleased with the variety of products they carry, and found that they beat Walmart just about every time for price. Just up the road is a Dollar General. We stopped there to explore, and they have an even bigger selection than FD, for around the same prices. So we have now just about eliminated trips to Walmart, as these 2 stores give us much better deals. And, I hardly ever go to Rite Aid or Walgreen anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have both a Dollar General and a Family Dollar in our small town, but Walmart is almost an hour's drive away. I rarely go to Family Dollar, but we do buy some things at Dollar General like batteries, greeting cards, and cleaning supplies. The problem is there are so many things we can get at Walmart that we can't get at either local store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ous are very small very cluttered and have limited parking and i dont feel very welcomed by the people that check you out who act more as if you are an annoyance then someone helping tem retain a job by going there . A hi how are you or a thank you goes a long way with me .

so i rarely go to ours i can find deals just as well through other sources.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use to shop at both when gas prices skyrocketed since they're nearby. However, my shopping habits have changed quite a bit over the past 2 years. Now I shop there maybe once every 2 or 3 months for a few household items (fabric softener, paper products, cleaning items) or personal care items (lotion, hand soap, shower gel) that I haven't found a great deal on from my regular stores.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Family Dollar and Dollar general both just a few blocks from my house. I love them both for different reasons. Was just at the Family Dollar today for some HBA and cleaning stuff. I would definitely say there is many items cheaper than Walmart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have both, but ours isn't very well stocked so I don't go that often, mostly just Christmas time..

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

hello and welcome. I have a Dollar General close by my house and used to have a Family Dollar. Family Dollar up and closed one day. I was just in Dollar General yesterday trying to pick up an ingredient for some laundry soap recipe on the forum. They didn't have it though.

I have a Save-a-lot and Aldi also on the way to the Walmart. I don't stop at Walmart very often anymore. I do get my meds form there as they have the 4.00 price on the ones I use. I had gotten a coupon to transfer a med to Walgreens for a 25.00 dollar coupon so I did it and the meds cost that much at Walgreens [email protected] I switched right back the next month.

I like Aldi better than SAL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Dollar General 2 blocks from my house. I love it. Mine is brand new, and uncluttered. I can use coupons, and get some really good deals there.

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

the family dollar around here is way closer than the dollar general but i've been to both. mostly family dollar. they have these great vegan cookies. but so fattening.

i love dollar tree though. perfect for almost anything. and just for $1. woot woot
    Last edited by thesightofoneself; 08-19-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We had one or the other up the street from us, and it closed, and now the other chain has opened in the same spot. There are several of each within driving distance. I have seen some deals there in the past, but mostly I don't feel they have very good quality items a lot of the time. And they are usually dirty (though not as bad as the Walmart that closed last year!) I get Christmas cards there because they sell small packs, and I can get the 5 or 10 I need.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have Dollar Tree here. I like to go there for birthday cards, gift bags and foil pans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have both. Family Dollar is alot bigger etc but I like Dollar General alot better. I can get a large cannister of Folgers there for $6. 2 litters soda are always $1.25. Lot of $2 snacks. I don't buy a bunch there but still like it.

My favorite is Dollar Tree. Don't have to look at the price. It's $1...no hunting for a price.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We haven't had a family dollar store in our town for over 25 years. We do however have 3 Dollar General Stores. I am not a fan. I am just not impressed with the quality of their products. I believe they are every where now. I traveled from here through Missouri up to Iowa and back by way of IL, KY, TN and I believe I saw at least one in each town I happened to be in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm not crazy about either of them. Dollar General has a few items that are cheaper, but I think Wal-mart has them beat on some items. Even Food Lion has better toilet paper deals. I don't go to Family Dollar. The last time I went to one, someone of a different race than me (who was also a girl somewhere around 8-10) kept walking past me saying "My Mama'll cut you! My Mama'll cut you!" Seriously! I didn't ask her Mom if she would 'cause I didn't have my gun in my purse, but I heard her tell the girl to be quiet finally. I was in there with my Grandma just shopping around. It was enough to turn me off that particular store!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Dollar General about a half mile from my house, so I tend to stop there to pick up last minute things. I'm familiar enough with the store to know what items are cheaper there...and what items are cheaper at Walmart. The price (and the fact they take coupons and Dollar Tree doesn't) are the reasons why I shop there about once a month.

My neighborhood store is also fairly new, but they don't take care of it. It's always dirty looking and cluttered, and for the most part, the employees are horrible. Some honestly just don't know what they're doing, and some just don't care, lol. You ALWAYS have to hunt someone down to ring you up, and when you tell them you're ready, they sigh and roll their eyes.

More than once, they've rung me up, without saying a word, and just walked away after they were done. They didn't even turn the baggie dispenser around so I could REACH my purchases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast