sams or costco

Thread: sams or costco

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default sams or costco

Our sams membership is up, we were thinking about joining costco instead. Anyone have any suggestions? Have you dropped one for another or just given them up completely?

I do buy cheese, eggs, milk and cat food from sams. ( I use alot of cat food having 10 of them) It seems alot of the other groceries I can find at the grocery store cheaper or the same price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do like Costco better. They often offer one-month-free trial memberships, so maybe you can try it before making a commitment?
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have memberships to both, but definitely use our Costco one much more. We prefer Costco because they carry more organic/healthy foods and more unique products. They just carry MORE- at least here it is a bigger store. That being said- we do like Sam's as well!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I prefer Costco.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a Costco account and we are letting it go when it expires without renewing it. We have only been there 2 or 3 times in the last year. We just don't buy in that kind of bulk . I do enjoy the price on the books and dvd's but our movie store offers all their movies , even new releases for sale for no more than 9.95 after they have been released 14 days and I have been buying them there if the kids want something. Often they are 7.95 or 4.95 and now I have a kindle and use the library so I really rarely pay for a book anymore. My brother got me a gift certificate to the bookstore for Christmas and I went yesterday to look around. I did find a book I liked but still have money on the card. I just kept looking for something awesome to use it on. LOL. So after the 1st when ours expires we will have neither.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used both, based entirely on proximity to my location. If they were both equidistant, I would probably use Costco.

As it is, though, neither store has better prices than the local grocery stores. I just wait for a sale on certain items, and then stock up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
    As it is, though, neither store has better prices than the local grocery stores. I just wait for a sale on certain items, and then stock up.
    I think this is entirely dependent on where you live and what you buy. In my area, some things at Costco (I have no experience with Sam's) are definitely cheaper than local grocery stores, and for those things, Costco is worth the membership fee. But, I am only certain of this because I made and use a price book.

I think a price book is essential to getting one's money's worth from a warehouse store. Before I made one, I was never really sure what I should buy at Costco and what I should wait for a sale at the grocery store for. Now I know and my food budget is considerably lower.

Kara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've used both as well and prefer Costco!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I prefer Costco over Sam's Club but I'm also in Canada where Sam's Club didn't take to the general Costco loving crowd very well. I've shopped at both in both Canada and US and I'm still partial to Costco. But my family knows we only buy certain things at Costco, its not a one stop shop type place for us - we still go to the Asian grocery store and discount grocery stores for the basics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a costco that close but I have a membership to sams and bjs.I like bjs much better. they have a deli and also they give you coupon books every month. they also have a coupon brochure in front of the store.plus you can use manufacturers coupons along with their coupons.I really love bjs.they also don't annoy you to death about upgrading your membership every time you make a purchase

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Costco all of the way here. The crowd that shops at our Sam's tends to be a bit on the rude and obnoxious side. Lines are often very long, with very few registers open. Manners seem to be lacking in many of the associates who work there as well. At our Costco they are very friendly, no long lines and the shoppers, as a whole, are more pleasant. Did I mention the samples? OMGoodness...our Costco always has so many more samples to try than Sam's.

Cost wise, Sam's has a few items slightly cheaper. But as a whole, Costco beats any store around. We buy three to four gallons of milk a week. Costco carries it for a dollar cheaper a gallon than any grocer. Milk alone we save over $150 per year. Eggs, butter, pork loins, salad mix, bottled water, bananas...all much cheaper than the grocers with or without coupons and sales.