Great ingredients in save-a-lot brand food!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Great ingredients in save-a-lot brand food!

I've been shopping save a lot recently for the meat deals mostly, and a few non perishables. I did a lot of label reading there yesterday, and I noticed that the ingredients in some of their house brand items were better than the "regular" grocery store brands I usually buy. For example, the pasta sauce and mayonnaise were both made with real sugar, not HFCS. It surprised me because I was under the impression that food manufacturers use HFCS to lower costs. We had a roll of their hot pork sausage with breakfast this morning, it was affordable, delicious and preservative free!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Years ago, I worked for save a lot for 5 years. Their "store brand" is actually produced by name brand manufacturers....Their canned veggies are produced by Libby, their boxed cereals are made my Malt O Meal. Their dairy comes from local farmers, and their breads are brought in by Freihoffers. Many people don't realize that. So their "store brand" is just as good as the national brands because they are actually produced by the national brands!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most people don't realize that most things only have a small number of manufactures. The manufacturers produce large batches of an item and ship them out to other places where they are then packaged. So basically the store buys things unpackaged and then package it themselves.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo for the interesting information friends. Most store brands work for me - even though we have little choice here. Savings of any amount works in my budget!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had heard before that the store brands are often from the same manufacturers as the national brands, I just didn't expect to find that the save a lot "off brand" was actually made to a higher standard than some of the conventional products on the shelves. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like Sav-a-Lot's frozen gr turkey. If you read the package-it's by Butterball. Bananas are always cheaper than anywhere else, too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't been to our Save-a-Lot forever and I was thinking about checking them out again. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know this is an older post, but...
    A Save a lot just opened here and we checked it out today. It's a small store here. Smaller than Aldi but Aldi is half an hour away. Milk was $1.99/gallon. Bread $.99. 10 lb bag potatoes $.99. We bought a lot that we usually would buy at other stores because it was cheaper there. I was happy with the prices on many things.

Since the store is new, it's spotless. I do foresee a problem checking out. There's only 4 checkout lines and the place was pretty packed. Our Aldi in the next city over has the same problem. That Aldi is kind of dingy, but there were some good deals. I think this Save a lot has better quality and looks more like a regular store than a warehouse, but we'll see how it goes after they've been open a while.

I wish you could have seen the people buying butter and pork chops. LOL No joke, I saw a man with a cart filled with just butter and pork chops.

I had no problem with the meat or produce quality. Much better than our smaller grocery stores or Walmart for that matter. However, we usually buy our produce at our local fruit/meat market or the major grocery store during cold months. I did notice bananas were cheaper there than anywhere else this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sara, go to the Better Health thread near the bottom of the forum and I posted a link to all of the recipes on the Save-A-Lot website. Also, if you join the free Save-A-Lot Club, you get a coupon for $5 off a $25 order for joining. Our Save-A-Lot is in another town and I have not had the money to stock up on items. I have just been buying the essentials each week, so I have not traveled there to shop in about three weeks.

I hope that the above info helps you.

A2M

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by auntie2many View Post
    Sara, go to the Better Health thread near the bottom of the forum and I posted a link to all of the recipes on the Save-A-Lot website. Also, if you join the free Save-A-Lot Club, you get a coupon for $5 off a $25 order for joining. Our Save-A-Lot is in another town and I have not had the money to stock up on items. I have just been buying the essentials each week, so I have not traveled there to shop in about three weeks.

I hope that the above info helps you.

A2M
    I joined, but didn't get a coupon. Unless it comes at a later date. But that's OK. The recipes are great.

Are the sales circulars the same everywhere? This week, the potatoes were only so low-cost here because they got too many in the shipment. They were limiting 2 bags per customer. They had russet and white potatoes for cheap, but only the russets were in the circular.