My first trip to Aldi :-(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My first trip to Aldi :-(

and I was underwhelmed. I just don't get what the big deal is. I had looked at the online ad before I went and wanted a rising crust pizza for $3.29 and 16 ounce frozen broccoli cuts for $.89 as advertised.

I had to fight the cashier to get the right price on the pizza, she wanted to charge $3.99 so I showed her the paper ad. The broccoli wound up being a 12 ounce package for $.99, did not catch this til I got home, as it was not in the paper circular, just online.

Left a comment with their customer service thru Facebook, we will see what their response is. As of I right now I have no desire to ever shop there again.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry your first experience was not a good one. I have always gotten the advertised prices at the stores I shop. I would like to see what their response is to your comments.

Their regular prices on dairy (cheese, yogurt), eggs, and produce are lower than any other supermarkets here and I regularly buy them.

I think you should give them a second chance.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think they had large eggs for $1.85 a dozen, not a great deal in our area, just average.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wait until you see how bad everything tastes!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Their eggs are 99c to 1.39 here, while the big grocery store are typically $2 or more.

We like many of their products, some DH prefers to the brand name version. I think it is a matter of personal taste in many cases, and you won't know unless you try it.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    and I was underwhelmed. I just don't get what the big deal is. I had looked at the online ad before I went and wanted a rising crust pizza for $3.29 and 16 ounce frozen broccoli cuts for $.89 as advertised.

I had to fight the cashier to get the right price on the pizza, she wanted to charge $3.99 so I showed her the paper ad. The broccoli wound up being a 12 ounce package for $.99, did not catch this til I got home, as it was not in the paper circular, just online.

Left a comment with their customer service thru Facebook, we will see what their response is. As of I right now I have no desire to ever shop there again.
    I don't use Aldi much. I hit their milk occasionally because it tends to lean towards the cheaper end. If I can't get produce cheaper ANYWHERE else, I will stop by there for what might be on sale. But most weeks I don't bother. I find that their bananas and their berries in particular go bad really fast. I once went to get some oranges on sale and every bag in the big box/bin had moldy oranges in it.

And everything else, cheese, yogurt, cereal, peanut butter, etc, I can get cheaper at other stores by combining coupons and sales.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been there a couple of times and I don't care for it either. I was unimpressed by the prices on everything except the milk. The meat was certainly no cheaper and I still always had a list of things I had to go to my regular store for after I shopped at Aldi's. We have a Sav a lot much closer to us and the deals there are significantly better. I do shop there a few times a month for the sale stuff but I still have to go to the regular grocery store for most things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well here is their response in part.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your shopping experience at your local ALDI store. Please accept our apology regarding an overcharge you experienced. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please retain your receipt and present it to the store manager on your next visit to your local store. They will be happy to review it and address your concern.

Your comments and contact information have been forwarded on to the Divisional office and the District Manager who oversee that store location. They may be in contact with you should more information be required for them to research the incident."

I don't intend to go to that store again, it is out of my way and not worth it for a dollar or two. I called their TF number and got the same story. If they are advertising 16 ounce broccoli and selling 12 ounce bags, I am not the only one who got ripped off.

I had a problem with Price Chopper once that was similar, they sent me a $5 gift certificate AND I got a phone call from the store manager.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are bigger savings at Aldi's in my area. Milk in any of the store chains is $4 and Aldi's is $2.79. I've never had a problem with getting the advertized prices either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Interesting. At mine they bend over backwards to be friendly incl. running to the back to get any item I request. Dmom wanted a few things so I went today.
    I got her the special-A beautiful huge stalk of celery for .49.
    I got her the 3 strainers/$5.99
    the apt sized dish drainer,.96 Haribo gummy bears
    DD the cola ones
    The gallon plastic bags are 30/$1.99 and the sandwich 100/$1.99
    We get the graham crackers $1.89 I think
    They are what they are. I like them for produce and spec. buys. I've gotten a foldaway cane for Dh he used for years until he lost it at the airport $6.99 and Garden troughs and rakes for .99 I used for years.
    Some things are awful. But I pick and choose and found some good stuff in the lemons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well, I was not impressed with their CS response. When I have a problem with a company, I want to hear "Let us make it right for you." Not "Here is what you have to do to make it right." Big difference.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's no way I could go there exclusively to do my grocery shopping but I've gotten great deals on strawberries/blueberries/pineapples, boneless chicken breasts, milk, eggs. I like their Fit & Active salad dressings, granola bars, Burman's ketchup (I hate fake tasting ketchup and this is a good brand in my taste comparable to Heinz), I like their BBQ sauce, grilling envelope of marinade mixes. DS likes their millville brown sugar poptarts better than pop tart brand. He also likes their guava juice. I didn't care for their bread/bagel products. I don't buy canned veggies so I don't know how they are I like frozen. I did buy their version of stove top stuffing mix and got it 10 cents a box before - tasted good to me. I gotten great deals on cake and quick bread mixes there and they were good. I really think it's hit or miss. They've always been super friendly and have checked out back for things for me. Our Aldi is out of my way so I limit my trips to 1x every couple of months and stock up on what I like. BUT I'm from New England and nothing compares to my Market Basket

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find their produce prices too be really good. Ours also has a lot of gluten free items. The few things I thought were terrible were Turkey lunch meat (super super salty) and tuna ( texture). of the items we do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have generally been pleased with Aldis, have never had any issues with pricing or sizes of packages not being as advertised. We love their potato chips better than national brands, they are very thin. Also like the tortilla chips. Mine sells the same brand flour and corn tortillas as the Mexican market, but cheaper. Several of the wines I've bought are really quite good. Love their fresh pizzas, and the frozen goat cheese pizza is outstanding. Frozen ground turkey very good, cheaper than any market. They have a raspberry vinaigrette that I love and that is very low sodium -lower than any except homemade. I don't have any issues with produce there, although it's not my main source for veggies. I like their canned clam chowder better than national brands - I did a comparison test of that and it really surprised us. Coca-Cola is always $3 a 12 pack, cheaper than elsewhere, and I have to pick up some for my husband from time to time. Eggs and milk are generally cheaper than at other stores, except for special sales. They sometimes have artisinal cheeses, we like the goat cheese also. Mine sells fresh daily sourdough bread that is great.

Like everything, it comes down to your personal preferences, on the store brands v national brands. I imagine there may be some differences among stores, but I go to four different ones in my area (depending where I am) and have never been disappointed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At my Aldi's this week it is the FRESH broccoli that is on sale and it is 16 oz. It is listed in the paper flyer that arrives at our house as well as the same ad online.

The frozen broccoli in my freezer is 12 oz. and is always 99 cents at my Aldi's

Edited to add
    I just looked at the special buy sales ad for the week of 9/14 or 9/17 depending on the day your sales start in your area.
    It has all natural 16 oz broccoli cuts of 89 cents. This bag is not the same bag of broccoli cuts that I normally buy there 12 oz for 99 cents. I think I will pick up the special buy broccoli then I shop on the 19th of this month.
    Last edited by imagine; 09-11-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: edited to add

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast