Target/Walmart Question
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Target/Walmart Question

Okay ladies...I have a serious question here. Is shopping at Target or Walmart for your groceries really worth it? I don't have a Walmart anywhere around at all, but there is a Target 1/2 hour away. I see people talking about how they really stocked up shopping at these stores (so I expect they do take coupons there) but am never really sure if it's worth the trip, or if I'm better off at ShopRite which is 2 minutes away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know about Target for groceries, but I can tell you the Wal Mart "stupid center" isn't worth a crap!

Their produce isn't all that great, and they're not really any cheaper than the "bargain" supermarkets. Another thing I hate about Wal Mart supercenter, the checkout lines are the worst! We went there Christmas eve (busy shopping day) and they only had 4 registers open (2 were express lines, 20 item max HA!). Plus they don't have separate baggers, so the cashier is scanning and bagging all at once, so that takes forever. Plus it's annoying to go in there for a couple things and have to wait in line for 1/2 hr or so because the 4 people in front of you has their carts overflowing with groceries. They should have separate registers for the supermarket part and the regular part. JMHO!!!

Laura

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally agree. I have a Super Walmart here and I never go there unless its for something I can't find anywhere else. The meats are the worst I have seen and the produce is not much better. I think they are poorly organized and I agree that the checkout lines are long and slow. Probably if you were able to go at 2 in the morning it would be okay. However, I do have to admit that their bakery is very nice and reasonable. I have found that just watching for sales and saving coupons works best for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a SuperTarget here and honestly I don't think the prices on groceries there are anything to write home about. The bulk of our shopping is done at Super Saver.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree if you have a fairly large supermarket close to you don't waste your time with WM. Ours has to be the worst about carrying meats in varity and the prices on meat at our WM is outrageous. Seriously to the point that we just had a beef and pork slaughtered. I purchase my chicken on sale right now our little grocery store has whole chickens on for .49 cents a pound for TYSON, you'll never see WM sell chicken at that price. Highly over rated place to shop for groceries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Of course I have to be different, lol Where I live in Florida no one doubles coupons or has really great sales. So our Wal Mart is really the best for us. I think our situation is unique though. We do have a Save A Lot but it is very small. Otherwise our Winn Dixie, Kash n Karry, Albertsons and Publix are more expensive than our Super Wal Mart. The meats & produce at ours is consistant to the grocery stores in our area. Plus all Wal Marts price match any advertised price. So I can basically get any loss leaders all in one spot. We have recently taken to shopping at Sam's Club and found that we save a ton of money that way. We are a family of 5 (with an infant in formula & diapers) and we now have our bill down to $220 a month. That includes all cleaning and HBA supplies.
    As for Target their grocery prices here are outrageous. Kmart is the same way. But both have a very small selection of groceries. I dont shop for food at either one.
    I think it might depend on what region of the country you live in. I think if we had a Krogers. Shop Rite, HyVee or Aldi's I would probably shop those stores instead but we dont.
    ~Michele~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

walmart is not my favorite place to shop, but is on my list of stops. Like was mentioned before, they take ads from the other stores and price match, so I can stop once there vs several other stores to get all the deals. My husband like Blue Bunney Icecream and Lenders Bagels.. both are cheaper at Walmart. Overall the prices are as good or lower than anywhere else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We rarely buy groceries at Wal-mart (we do go there for the things we can't get at Kroger, after checking Dollar General, Fred's and Family Dollar first). We've found we do much better if we plan our meals around the loss leaders at Kroger.

And if you have coupons and there's a good sale, you can get killer deals. Our Kroger is having Super Double Coupons this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate to shop at WalMart here. For groceries or otherwise. the super Walmart here is so crowded, they are always out of stuff, the staff is rude, it is dirty. Oh you know on and on. I will drive out of my way and pay more money just to avoid shopping there. There is a Walmart over where I work that I have run into a couple of times and it seems to be much better.
    I do think it is one of those hit or miss kind of things dependent upon the local management.

In general, I do not like the concept of the "super center" anyway.
    I have a real problem with my child's toys going down the same conveyor belt someone else's raw chicken was just sitting on. Just me I guess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As a loyal ShopRiter , I would say, stick to ShopRite! I do so well there with coupons, I'm averaging a 50% savings or more with coupons every time I go there. Their meat and produce is of excellent quality as well. It all depends on who owns your ShopRite, they are all independently owned I think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find that if I shop at Super Wal-Mart I tend to spend more money and kick myself all the way home. I like to shop at Kroger and use my coupons or H.E.B. (here in Texas) which has great produce and good prices...but they don't always carry all brands. Super Wal-Mart is just too tempting to overspend!

Only thing I heard good about Super Wal-Mart is to hit their after Christmas sale because they have more items left over. There again it is too tempting to overspend! Ouch!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Y'all are making me wish we had a Kroger and ShopRite .
    ~Michele~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL Laura, dh calls it "Stupid Center, too".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I glad I'm not the only one!

in 95, I had a seizure, and walked out of wal-mart here in Alabama unintentionally with $7.00 of groceries> I didn't come to till they was reviewing everything in my bag, I even offered to pay them for it, but they were more eager to press charges against me. needless to say, the judge threw it out of court.

Since then, I been boycotting wal-mart everywhere I go, and just thought I would see if any others hate walmart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I worked at Wal-Mart not once, but twice, and I did not walk into one for four years. I didn't miss it. I bought all my food at Sav-a-lot, Winn Dixie, Publix, and some canned goods and miscellaneous things at Dollar General. That way I never had to drive over two miles (Wal-Mart was 7 miles away at the time), and I could pretty much get anything I wanted. We also have a Beall's Outlet, where I bought most of my clothes. Once a month, we went to the next town and went "big shopping", got all our bulk stuff, and hit the thrift stores. I didn't spend any more than I do now, because I don't buy a whole lot at Wal-Mart. I get bird food and occasionally some groceries, but seriously, I haven't found them to be much cheaper if you shop the loss leaders and stockpile. In fact, if I stockpile only BOGOS and sales with coupons, I come out much better than at Wal-Mart. I don't have time to go through the line with all those competitor's ads.

You might not know it, but all of Wal-Mart's meat comes in frozen, and is defrosted and put out. It all has salt in it. Read the labels.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast