what foods are good from Aldis? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like going to Aldis and have liked pretty much everything I have tried there. I've bought most of the things people have listed. I wasn't crazy about the ground beef, though, and some of the fresh produce is hit or miss. The dairy is great and I like the frozen chicken quarters and drum sticks. I've saved a ton of money by shopping there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We buy mostly canned and boxed items

canned veggies
    soup
    chicken stock
    spaghetti sauce
    oatmeal
    their version of breakfast bars
    juice boxes
    pasta
    cereal
    hamburger helper knock off
    tuna
    sometimes the family size banquet type meals

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

cau
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We buy most of the canned veggies, fruit,pickles. Bags of chips, pretzels and dh loves the jars of nuts and cheese crackers. Their frozen shrimp and tipila, & salmon is great. Boxes of mac & cheese , stuffing mix and baking mix(2lbs for .99). I don't like their kleenex & t paper but am fussy on that. The syrup and chocolate and baking stuff has been great. I agree on the canned coffee , it was bad but we use the tea bags and they are fine. I am willing to try most things just don't buy again if we don't like. It is funny everyone wants to go with me when I shop their since things are soo cheap I am more likely to say yes to their request for junk food. cau

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have a Aldi's around here that I know of,but you buy a cart for 25¢ and when you're finished you get the 25¢ back?? I've never heard of paying to get a cart LOL
    Is it to make people return the carts to the rightful place..?

cau
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, you pay to get the cart. When done either someone going into the store asks if they can have your cart and gives you a quarter or you return it to the front of the store for your quarter back. Sounds like a pain but you on't have carts left all over running into your car. cau

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by Peaches
    Are the Aldi stores in the U.S. like the Aldi in the U.K. - carrying lots of continental and european foods? I personally love Aldi and I only go to my local supermarket or Costco for things I can't get at Aldi, or for things which they do cheaper than Aldi, which isn't much.

I've never been to an Aldi in the U.S. (there's one near my mom's house, but we didn't go the last time I visited), but in the U.K. they have some of the best cheeses and continental meats (like salami, pepperoni, chorizo) around. I agree their fruit and veg can be a bit hit and miss. If it's nonseasonal, it's not very good - but then it's not very frugal to buy nonseasonal fruit and veg anyway!
    i like aldi in the uk there is one in the town i live in..i dont go much but they always put leaflets throu the door.. there ice cream is yum! even got hubby some new sandles that were for cheap but are high quailty!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by Peaches
    Are the Aldi stores in the U.S. like the Aldi in the U.K. - carrying lots of continental and european foods? I personally love Aldi and I only go to my local supermarket or Costco for things I can't get at Aldi, or for things which they do cheaper than Aldi, which isn't much.

I've never been to an Aldi in the U.S. (there's one near my mom's house, but we didn't go the last time I visited), but in the U.K. they have some of the best cheeses and continental meats (like salami, pepperoni, chorizo) around. I agree their fruit and veg can be a bit hit and miss. If it's nonseasonal, it's not very good - but then it's not very frugal to buy nonseasonal fruit and veg anyway!
    We just tried Chorizo for the first time, and LOVE IT!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just wnt to Aldi's again for the first toime in quite a while- there isn't one very close and I had to have a good reason to drive all the way into Schenectady to go there. So I visited DH for lunch then went. It is the first time I have been to that locaion as i is relatively new.

Their selection has gotten much better. They have a lot of healthier foods now than they used to, and more "gourmet" foods. The milk was 1/2 the price of the local competition. The eggs were .69 a dozen. They had a mango chai granola which is REALLY good. I know it doesn't sound all that great, but it really was. They ven have a product gianduja product that is similar to Nutella.

The last time I was there (different location) I got pineapple lime frozen all-fruit bars. They are really good, and I have had the strawberry ones, also. They have mini-rice cakes- cheese or caramel- the DD likes. They have baked nacho chips. And I don't really buy the canned veggies, but we like the canned beans. They also had a nice big bag of masa harina really cheap. (Yum, yum- we had homemade mini quesadillas tonight!)

Anyway, if you haven't been there in a long time, you should check it out- they have a lot better selection now and there are a lot of great foods there. I got a whole cart load, including milk, cheese, eggs, turkey, and fresh produce, for only $92.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gotta love Aldis!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just got an Aldi's here last year and I am so happy we did.
    The canned veggies and fruit are better than brand name.
    I have never had any problem with the fresh fruits and veggies. They are always much fresher than WM's.
    There are a couple things I personally do not care for. The sliced swiss cheese and the graham crackers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't really care for their graham crackers, either, though I will use them for piecrust. I only like Nabisco grahams, but DD doesn't mind other brands.

I also don't care for their saltines. They always have a off taste to me. Only Premium saltines for me, thank you, so I don't buy them too often.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12