Aldi's dumpster - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aldi's dumpster

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My children and I would have to be starving first.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by pkellyc
    My children and I would have to be starving first.
    Yeah, me, too. Too much of an 'ick' factor, I guess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ah well, to each his own!

I will tell you my latest dumpster finds!!!

about 15 peices of Partylite still in their original boxes, beautiful brass and lead crystal. Some collectible christmas ornaments, a bottle of Gesso (I paint), some paint, some candles, a new comforter with pillow shams, a new sleeping bag, a nice dust ruffle, a microwave, some jars of change, some more paint, some nice clothes for some toddlers which will go to a freind of mine, some nice ladies clothes but I don't have anybody that wears that small a size...

I went dumpster shopping the other day and must have gotten over $400 worth of free stuff. Brand new stuff!

There was a beautiful photo chest in there, still had all the bubble packing and stuff taped around it. I thought it was a jewelry box but it is for photos.

You ladies don't know the simple joys that you are missing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those kinds of dumpster finds I think are wonderful. It bothers me that we are such a wasteful nation. I believe that we could support another nation just on what we throw away. I would have picked that type of stuff out myself. But the thought of food still bothers me.

When I worked at Hancock Fabrics, we threw away patterns at the end of the season. The pattern company's didn't want them back, but didn't want them in circulation, either. They actually wanted us to dump water over the patterns after we put them in the dumpster, so nobody could salvage them. We never did, though. We had a gentleman's agreement with them that we would not take them home. I believe some of us lived up to it, and others didn't. Also the Leisure Arts books, some were sent back to the company and others were dumpstered. Some of the reps let us keep them, others preferred we destroy them. I really hate that type of waste. Why not just do mark downs and sell them? Or donate? It drives me nuts!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ah, it's all based on greed. If they can't have it (the money) they sure don't want anybody else to share the wealth.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh! I almost forgot! I woke up and hubby had gone dumpster diving brought me home a 1/2 bushel box of plum tomatoes! Nice big 3-4 inch long ripe red tomatoes!

I'm going to do some canning tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Patches you are a woman after my own heart! You have gotten some great stuff! The dumpsters here are getting slim. To many people doing it I guess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by kymom
    Patches you are a woman after my own heart! You have gotten some great stuff! The dumpsters here are getting slim. To many people doing it I guess.
    Have you tried prayer? LOL! I know that sounds funny but if I need something, part of my frugal regimen is to pray and dive.

God always provides what I need and if it isn't where I usually go to get it, He sends me in the right direction.

I get better stuff out of dumpsters than I was able to afford when I was making $700 a week take home.

There's a passage about God using the base things to confound the wise. I reckon a lot of people consider diving as a base activity but I don't have to go out and spend money I don't have on stuff, all I do is pray and God provides. I go pick it up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Best idea yet, patches! I think prayer should be the first thing we do in every circumstance.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I personally couldn't eat food from a dumpster unless I was literally living on the streets. Dumpster diving for other things, though, sounds fine to me--- I just wish there were some around here without security fences/cameras so I could try it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you aren't doing anything illegal, like picking through people's mail...nobody is going to say anything to you. UNLESS, you are one of those people who dump stuff all over the ground because you are messy. I've seen people like that and they give divers a bad name.

There's a whole crew of us in our town. It took awhile to find out who they were but we share our finds with each other too.

Hubby got a whole bag full of flannel shirts the other night. I got some brand new shoes with tags still on them (It's hard for me to find comfortable shoes at all because I wear 10 WW).

Got a nice overcoat for a freind and some more childrens clothes. We are giving a lot of stuff away...better that than in a land fill.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love to read dumpster diving stories. We live in a very small town and I've said it before.....Gripey would DIE completely off if he thought anyone might see me digging in a dumpster. If we lived in a city near a college though....I'd definetly do the move out day diving......I have dreams of that ....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My hubby went dumpster diving today and found a scuffed but usable antique leather and wood desk chair, as well as a nearly new light green and white girl's office chair. Both of these things will come in handy because we were using a resin chair for a computer chair, and youngest DH has a desk but no chair.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

cool! ain't diving great?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see nothing wrong with it. You can wash the bananas. I'm sure if you saw how the pesticides are put on most food we americans buy, or the chemicals squirted into all our processed food we eat, that might make you squeamish too. Throwing it in a big metal box isn't going to change anything. Waste makes me sick!
    My dad , when he was in Medical school, was very poor, and he would often eat out of the trash cans, he said the Dr's would just throw almost whole sandwhiches away, and when you're hungry, well.......haha
    I don't know if I would recommend that, but food that is unspoiled, unopened ect, I fail to see a problem with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast