Aldi's dumpster - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aldi's dumpster

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I would. My dad dumpster dives at the grocery next to the optical he works at. I think my mom is embarrassed about it, but I don't think it's that shameful. We live in a very wasteful society.

I work at Bath and Body works, and you would not believe the amount of stuff that we destroy instead of donating it to a woman's shelter or something. If something doesn't look perfect, or if we just don't carry it anymore, or if someone returned it and maybe ripped a sticker off, we destroy it. This stuff isn't perishable, or consumable, it's just bath and body items. I really hate throwing it away. Sometimes I hope that someone will take these items from the dumpster, but I highly doubt they do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dont think I would have either, fruit in the garbage with all that other stuff would be a no-no to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have gotten peppers several times from Aldis. They are packed in cellophane and completely wrapped and come in a package of 3. Usually they pitch them if one is slightly going bad. I have no problem with it. I throw the bad one out and saute the rest.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalMomof3 View Post
    I dont think I would have either, fruit in the garbage with all that other stuff would be a no-no to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmm...I'm straddling the fence on this one. I don't know. I guess I'd have to be there. I'v only been dumpster diving once. I went with a friend, years ago, who always went looking for labels and register tapes to do refunding. She had a pair of overalls, rubber gloves, a hat, and a mission. She actually proceeded like a pro. I wonder what it would be like to go to a fancy shmancy place and try this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Aldi's I used to shop at used to give that sort of stuff away free with any purchase. As much as you wanted. One time I got 6 packs of multicolored peppers, another time frozen sausage and once 10 loaves of wheat bread. The one I shop at now marks it down quite a bit unless it is just too spoiled.

I used to manage a chain pizza place, and we were not allowed to give the leftovers to the homeless or to shelters. Someone in the fast food industry got sued for food poisoning. The shelters wouldn't even take them because of that even if we could give them away. Needless to say, Dh and I and all our friends ate a LOT of pizza in those days.

I would and do dumpster dive. Last year we were able to mulch our whole garden for free (broken bags of mulch). We also got bags of grass seed, manure, peat moss and packettes seeds. When Dh used to work at the college, we got book cases, office chairs, potted plants and other stuff when the college kids moved out. I have gotten cross stitch supplies, art supplies, kid's books and other stuff from dumpsters. I would take food if it was not expired or rotten. Why not? I am with so many of you, there is so much waste it is shameful.
    Last edited by TomsMom; 06-02-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: silly spelling error

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would not do this, but more power to those of you that do. I find it sad that grocery stores still put usable produce and other good food items in dumpsters, when Second Harvest or most soup kitchens would gladly take the stuff from them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love that this topic was bumped back up!

I didn't realize that there were ddivers here in the village!

hmmm.... maybe we should start a whole new thread on diving?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

where are all the freegans when we need them. This thread has freeganism written all over it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh and for crying out loud don't read the wiki on dumpster diving. if you dont know how to do it. then reading about it is not going to teach you. Just stay out of the dumpster before you ruin it for the serious divers..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think I would take fruit or food from a dumpster.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Honestly I'm not sure about what I'd do with the food. Probably it would depend on a lot of different things such as need, placement, packageing, ect. That said dad had gotten into diving for awhile. He had some good stops on Long Island where factories would dump seconds. He'd yardsale and get some pretty good money for the stuff. I've went with him a few times after he relocated but the stores/factories here don't seem to pitch as much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by itsahumanzoo View Post
    I think I would. My dad dumpster dives at the grocery next to the optical he works at. I think my mom is embarrassed about it, but I don't think it's that shameful. We live in a very wasteful society.

I work at Bath and Body works, and you would not believe the amount of stuff that we destroy instead of donating it to a woman's shelter or something. If something doesn't look perfect, or if we just don't carry it anymore, or if someone returned it and maybe ripped a sticker off, we destroy it. This stuff isn't perishable, or consumable, it's just bath and body items. I really hate throwing it away. Sometimes I hope that someone will take these items from the dumpster, but I highly doubt they do.
    Really? Theres a Bath and Body works in my town. I'm going to have to start checking out their dumpsters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know a lady who is on ssi and she goes to her local grocery stores and tells them could I please take your food you are going to dump and give it to my kids pet rodents?? they do give it to here whatever she can handle and this is before it hits the dumpster...she has no rodents... what ever works..She has gotton alot of friut and vegies,bread,bagels,donuts etc..She passes them out to her friends and family that are struggling $. I have no problem with certain things in the dumpster..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast