Are Wal-Mart's Prices going up or is it just me? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm fortuneate. I have a run-down Zellers in my neighborhood, but they have that much stuff on clearance at any time, it's fantastic! I bought a beautiful solid black queen sized comforter for my double bed for $20. You ladies have NO IDEA how long I have shopped for a solid black comforter. And to find one for $20, well, I was just soaring to the moon, I was so happy!

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No your not losing your mind. There's a book out about Walmart and the way they work. Can't think of the name of it to save my life at the moment. But the book goes into great deal from how Walmart moves into a town and all the dirty little things it does not only to town councils, but to vendors and competitors. One of the final things Wally does is after he has killed off the little guys in a town they raise their prices. Since alot of the smaller mom and pop places or small retailers have died while Wally World took deep price cuts now they can make the money back by raising prices. Also look at a Walmart shopping cart compared to your old store. The Walmart cart is much larger so you buy more not realizing how full your cart has gotten. The book also spoke about that. When I dig up my copy I'll post the tilte and happily mail it off to anyone who'd like to read it.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Laurie, I would love to read that book!! The next town over is the nearest Wal-Mart to us and it isn't even a supercenter, just a regular ol' wally world. That even managed to shut down the local grocery store Elmore's. They had such wonderful sales and while they were higher on certain things, it was a very good store to do your grocery shopping. Now if you want to get groceries you have to drive 35 miles to do so as the wally world here only has milk, lunchmeats, cheese and the likes! It is really so sad!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've heard rumors that WM here has paid off some of the local heads of gov't not to put in a Target or other department store. K-Mart got shut down, Food Lion is even gone. Winn-Dixie sold out to E.W. James. It's ridiculous.

I've also discovered that the WM about 15 miles south of here in another smaller town is cheaper than this one. It even has a better selection on stuff. So what you said Laurie sounds accurate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ive noticed the variety in pricing for each location of Walmart. No two Walmarts have the same pricing. Its always the one smack dabbed in the middle of the bush that has the most current stock, always restocked quickly and lowest prices. Just to draw everyone in and "hook" them.

Basically I get what I need and get out. Sometimes to kill time, I 'window' shop - ha, ha. LOL

They do still have lower priced toiletry items and household goods compared to other local chains/stores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You ladies are right about the different prices. The Walmart on the North end of our town is much higher than my end of town. It has all the well to do people. Plus all the big shops and mall are on the north end.
    Believe or not our insurance company for prescriptions is contracted through the pharmacy, it is the only one we are allowed to have the prescriptions filled. I go to Sav-A-Lot or Pick-n-Save for our main groceries but there are some good food deals at Walmart on Saturday mornings. But I do agree you have to have your price book and know what is a deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have also heard that Walmart has low prices until the mom and pop stores go and then they jack their prices up. I used to love Walmart, until I started really comparing prices. I was spending between 75 cents to a $1 for a dozen eggs when I can get them on sale elsewhere for 30-50 cents a dozen. Milk was the same way. $2.24 for a gallon at Walmart when I can get it on sale for $1.89 a gallon on sale. I've been very careful to watch prices and have started a price book. Walmart does have some really good deals sometimes but you have to be careful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have mentioned this before, but I switched from buying all my groceries at Wal-Mart to Sav-a-Lot and lowered my food bill by at least a third. I buy at Wal-Mart only what I can't find at Sav-a-Lot. I agree with the OP, everything seemed to keep going up in price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't know if the local Walmart prices are rising, but I do know they've always been more expensive than other local stores in the food department.

They also just slightly undercut another local store - Zeller's. But Zeller's etc. was bought out by an American, so I don't worry which one I shop at now. They're all equally bad for us Canadians in the long run. Most all our stores are owned by Americans now.

In the end I comparison shop a lot more than I used to and take advantage of sales.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know here that walmart is lower in most of its prices when the store here has loss leaders they are still cheaper at walmart, but I have noticed that the prices are going up, I have really started watching prices I really need to get my price book done, but everytime I think I have it done i notice prices have changed again. I go to a town about 90 minutes away from me and have even started shopping there to get better deals. last time I paid for my gas up there with my savings, so I really have to get that price book done. I wish we had a sava alot of something like that here but no luck we did just got a price mart but they don't post ads so you have to go in there to find out what is on sale, which i do sometimes but when time is tight i don't it is frustrating sometimes just going to have to really watch the prices and buy carefully.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday I HAD to go to walmart for a few things and bought: a package of newborn diapers, size 1 diapers, ultra charmin, and huggies wipes. Each of these items cost $6.97.

Is it the new mark of the beast? JK!!! To me, the price is cheap for diapers since they are not name brand, but doesn't it just seem expensive? I mean $7.00 is not cheap.

I saw a 6 pack of 24 oz. Mountain Dew for $2.97. Above it was a sign that said "Was $3". Big woopity snot! A whopping .03 difference is REALLY going to make me jump on that one!

I got a little aggravated. But I'm at that point in my pregnancy too where I'm ready to have this baby and feel like it's the pregnancy that never ends. So I'll try not to be too grumpy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stopped shopping WalMart several months ago. Boycott is a strong word, but I guess that's what I'm doing. They have brought in their take-no-prisoners lawyers and they're building 4 new stores in our area. We already have a Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. Believe me when I tell you our popoulation base won't support that...unless they run the stores already here out of business.

Local people tried to fight it and their lawyers immediately threatened our mayor and city council with legal action. They're well-dressed thugs in my estimation. I will not spend a penny in any of their stores.

Ironically, I'm spending less after switching to Target for my monthly stock-up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've noticed Walmart's prices going up slightly, but so have the other grocery stores. I have a sheet of paper with prices of items (price book) so I know how much I'm paying. I dont' seem to get distracted at Walmart, well, not always anyways. The loss leaders around here usually come out to Walmarts every day prices, sometimes it's still cheaper at WAlmart for the exact same items. Just gotta know our prices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the prices at our walmart have definately risen!!...I used to get a generic stain remover there for 87 cents, they stopped selling it and only carry brand names...dog food went up about 2 dollars, but it is still cheaper than the grocery store....I try and go only once a month and I am very careful to get only what I need and get out of there!!!..I still average around 85 dollars...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to Walmart lastnight to do our 2wk shop and I noticed prices were increased. However as long as they stay affordable and fit into our budget I will continue to go. I know it sounds shallow but I can't afford to explore new brands of food and drop all the brands I'm use to. I have an illness that can't have certain amounts of sugar and salt and onion..ect..so I know the labels when I see them at Walmart. I'd just have to start all over again..and I will if Walmart becomes too expensive for us.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast