Are Wal-Mart's Prices going up or is it just me? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know about in other areas, but here in Central Illinois, Walmart is way cheeper than the other grocery stores in town with the exception of Aldi. There are some areas where Aldi's is cheaper, but not that many. I normally do a 1/2 and 1/2 run. I do shop some of the other stores' sales and make note of what they want for staples. Never are they cheaper than Walmart, and are normally significantly more expensive. It may depend on where you live, but I couldn't afford to shop at Cub, Kroger or Schnuks for our family of five.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie in Bradenton View Post
    No your not losing your mind. There's a book out about Walmart and the way they work. Can't think of the name of it to save my life at the moment. But the book goes into great deal from how Walmart moves into a town and all the dirty little things it does not only to town councils, but to vendors and competitors. One of the final things Wally does is after he has killed off the little guys in a town they raise their prices. Since alot of the smaller mom and pop places or small retailers have died while Wally World took deep price cuts now they can make the money back by raising prices. Also look at a Walmart shopping cart compared to your old store. The Walmart cart is much larger so you buy more not realizing how full your cart has gotten. The book also spoke about that. When I dig up my copy I'll post the tilte and happily mail it off to anyone who'd like to read it.

Laurie in Bradenton
    Laurie,

Are any of these the book you were mentioning. Sounded like it could have been a couple of them so I just posted all of them.AddAll Book Searching and Price Comparison - submit

Pam

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

they are going up. I just called about a box fan that last year we got for 10 this year they want 18. Never mind. but all the stores locally want about that price this year. Insane. I will wait for a killer sale and used ones thank you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't shop at WM that much......and don't like shopping there. (call it the store I love to hate)

Was there a week or so ago and other than my Rx I bought very little due to the high prices. I can usually beat most of their prices at sales.......one exception would be vitamins and can sometimes beat those online.

Their meat is horrible, the produce is usually high $ so that leaves some boxed/canned items that I might buy.

We are being SATURATED with WM. Will be interesting to see what happens. We have 3 all within a 10 mile drive. Extend the drive to 20-25 miles and the number goes to six!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not a huge WM fan, the one close to me is awful. It's always dirty, the customer service is non existent, and the quality of their meat and produce is terrible. I know not all WM are the same, there's one about 10 miles from me that is really nice but it's just not convenient for me to shop there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have no choice but to shop at walmart. There is only one other grocery store and the dollar store here in town. I only buy things there that are cheaper than the grocery store or if things are REALLY clearance priced. Otherwise, nope, won't buy anything else there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Personally, I absolutely HATE to shop at Wal Mart! I don't even go there to have them 'comp ad' loss leaders at other stores...Although, I DO have to go about 2-3 months just to pick up certain things that can't be gotten anywhere else cheaper...And...DH has his Rx's filled there since they are cheaper...

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now that this thread is going again....can't remember the last I gave money to Sam Walton and I'm glad I have choices in this area.

I think the last time I went to the super center and they are doing another one here, was.....4 months ago.

I have no clue if their prices are higher but they really have cute clothes. So does K-mart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post

We are being SATURATED with WM. Will be interesting to see what happens. We have 3 all within a 10 mile drive. Extend the drive to 20-25 miles and the number goes to six!
    That is very interesting.
    I wonder if how many you have nearby makes a difference.

In a 50 mile radius of where I live we have 1. Yes one in 50 miles.

As far was Wal-marts prices they were up but now the seem to be coming down. It was like they were trying to bait the other grocery and home stores to raise their prices to but the others didn't take the bait.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    That is very interesting.
    I wonder if how many you have nearby makes a difference.

In a 50 mile radius of where I live we have 1. Yes one in 50 miles.

As far was Wal-marts prices they were up but now the seem to be coming down. It was like they were trying to bait the other grocery and home stores to raise their prices to but the others didn't take the bait.
    Well, that's definitely a possibility...but I still don't like shopping there...but that's just a personal preference...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Well, that's definitely a possibility...but I still don't like shopping there...but that's just a personal preference...
    It is great to have the choice isn't it.

Our local farm and ranch supply store has about as many shoppers as our local Wal-mart. It is a very busy popular place.

Choice is good. Competition is good for price

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567