Aldi vs Walmart generics

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Aldi vs Walmart generics

Yet another Aldi thread..... sorry

An Aldi just opened in our city yesterday. I went today just to check it out and see what it was all about. I only had a few bucks on me so I just picked up a couple things.

I was wondering if anyone has compared Aldi prices against Walmart generics? I don't keep a price book, although I should and will probably start. I know Walmart matches prices. Will they match Aldi on store brands?

Here is what I bought:

block of cream cheese .89
    8oz block of colby jack 1.49
    Gallon of 2% milk 2.45
    bag of cheese puffs .99
    can of chick noodle soup .43
    loaf of 100% whole wheat bread .79
    Half and Half 1.99
    Spagettios (gen) .69
    ravioli can (gen) .69

total with tax $ 11.40

Just wondering if anyone has compared. I'm going to take my receipt and compare these items next time I go to wal-mart.
    I personally dislike shopping at wal-mart. It is crowded and I feel like I go into a daze when I walk through the door. If Aldi is cheaper, I have found my new store!!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
    Whitney

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me, I have noticed that it depends on the items you are shopping for as to whether Walmart or Aldi is cheaper. All in all, most things are cheaper at Aldi, except on the name brand items. I do know for sure that canned mushrooms are 1 penny cheaper at Aldi. Although I usually buy bonelss skinless chicken breasts at Aldi, this week they are cheaper at the major supermarket chain for the same weight. My guess is that keeping a price book is a good idea, then you have a point of reference for your area. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

personally. i think walmarts generics are cheaper. i'm a walmart freak!!! i ahve been very happy with walmart brand (great value). i buy al the kids snacks the walmart brand. so far.....so good!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have an Aldi, so I can't compare. Does anyone know if Aldi goes by a different name in other parts of the country? Some grocery chains are owned by the same parent company, but have different names.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think that any of the Aldis go by different names.

I personally am another one that can't even walk into Walmart, sends me into a daze and overwhelms me, drives me NUTS! And Walmart is far enough away from me that the few cents I might save here and there would more than be wasted on the fuel to get there.

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm with Kabin on this one. Some of the things are cheaper at Aldi's, some at Wal Mart. Though I have to say the same thing is true for the taste of the store brand products for both. I love the Aldi's EVOO but the Wal Mart is so bad I can't eat anything I use it on. I will say the chicken drummies are always a better price at Aldi's. A price book is helpful but a lot of work to make. I took days to make ones years ago, and got asked to leave at Aldi's. I explained to them what I was doing and they let me continue. The bad thing about the price book was that the prices change so often it wasn't accurate long. It took hours to make. (like 8 for all the pricing, more to put it together)

JM2C on price books

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Slowtypinwoman the reason that Aldis as you to leave is they thought you were working for a competing store I used to work for the warehouse club and the managers would do these reconassiance missions (LOL) to compare prices, they'd try to be sneaky about it and look like every day shoppers but get busted pretty often, lol, kind of funny actually.

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG! I didn't know that Aldi did that...LOL I have been writing prices down on my GL for a while and they never say anything to me, but maybe it's because I shop there so much.
    I did go to our major grocery store, small chain in the area, bought mostly loss leaders, such as chicken breasts, and came out with $80 worth of groceries for $40. I like that savings!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For us Aldi is cheaper on most things. On the things that Wal-Mart is cheaper I usually still get at Aldi. I hate Wal-Mart yet can never seem to get out under $20 or $30, and thats just when I go for one or two things. lol Maybe thats why I hate them. *shrugs*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aldi is cheaper here. Canned goods (generic) at wal-mart run 33-45 a can, and at Aldi I can get them for 19-25 cents. I do have to watch meat prices because Kroger or Super Valu will run better sales than Aldi. But, Wal-mart has never been a better deal than Aldi to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't buy any meat at Aldi and we don't have a super Walmart so I can't really compare prices for you. But I can tell you what I really do and don't like there.
    Their meat I don't like it frozen like that, but my sister in law buys it all the time. I will buy bacon and some lunch meat there. Their produce ,I have to touch everything before I buy it because it's not always that fresh. As far as premixed items and canned I really don't buy them so I can't really comment on the quality. Oh, mayonnaise I can't stand it, tastes terrible.
    I do like all the dairy products and have never had a problem with them, I also like their dishwasher detergent and have found that it works just as well as Cascade, large trash bags cheaper and thicker than anywhere else around here. I also don't mind any of their other paper products. I don't care for their bar soap but wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I needed it. Tums and Tylenol no problem there. Shampoo I don't care for, I have color treated hair and it doesn't work well. Their chips are good, their salsa is good, flour, sugar, spices and oils are also fine. Frozen vegetables all good. Ice cream well quality isn't bad but I still would rather have Ben and Jerry's. I buy frozen strawberries there, they are not uniform in size but they taste just fine. Diet soda there is just terrible but their juices are good. Sorry for rambling on. I think your just going have just do the trial and error test to see what your family likes and dislikes. I really do like Aldi for certain things and it has saved me a ton of money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I rarely shop at Aldi or Walmart. I've found I do better to stick to the grocery store, usually TOPS and follow the unit prices for the best deal. Walmart here doesn't list a unit price, so it drives me nuts! And I don't like the way they treat their employees at this store either, so I try not to support them. Tops actually is a decent place to work in my town, I worked there before.
    I don't relay on alot of premade foods because I try to stick to whole grains, low sugar, low salt, high fiber, low fat, and lots of fresh fruit and veg. So there's not a whole lot I could buy at either store. Our Walmart has grocery, but it's not a full grocery, more just convenience foods.
    I always intend to shop the farmer's markets and got picking in the summer, but then time always runs out on me. I think I get the best prices from the farmer's markets when I actually make it there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pkellyc- Thanks for letting me know what you like and don't like from Aldi. Having never shopped there before I had no idea what to expect. I will say that thier Half and half is good, Dh uses it in his coffee and it was very good he said. The spagetti-o's rocked the kids world. I don't buy that kind of thing often, enough said on that. I'm going to do my major shopping there tomorrow so we shall see what the final verdict is. Thanks again for everyones response.

Whitney

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MOMMYDEAREST View Post
    personally. i think walmarts generics are cheaper. i'm a walmart freak!!! i ahve been very happy with walmart brand (great value). i buy al the kids snacks the walmart brand. so far.....so good!!!
    I'm gonna have to agree. I just looked at the prices of what you got and have seen Walmart's to be comparable and they are the Walmart store KNOWN brand.

We have an Aldi's here to and we've only gone once and that was to shop for my sister after she got into her first apartment and we wanted to drop $100 and knew that Aldi's would do it for her. I asked if she wanted Walmart and she said no Aldi's please. I guess it just depends on what brands you are accustom to. I know that dh and I are learning new budgeting for grocery shopping and I didn't even blink at save-a-lot or aldi's. I went straight to Walmart. My comfort zone. LOL!