is the membership of sams club worth it? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For my family of three, Sams is totally worth it. The "staples" that I purchase when I go (1 or 2x per month):
    Milk--Under or just above $3/gallon
    OJ (2)--$3.50/gallon
    Eggs--18 for $1.15
    Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast--6.5lb/$14
    Sliced American Cheese--5lb/$8
    Ground Beef/Fresh Burger Patties--Under $2/lb
    Lunchmeat--Oscar Mayer Sub Kit ($3/lb) or get a large 'hunk' of meat from the meat section and have Sam's slice it
    Pizza--3-pack Digornio $12
    Easy Mac--18 packets for $5
    Kid's Cereal (name brand) 2 bags (about 2 grocery store boxes) $5
    paper plates (splurge since I hate to wash dishes!)--I think 160 for $8
    bagged chips--LARGE bags (unsure of size) 2/$4.88

Yes, Sam's is expensive--if you bought 5 lbs of cheese at Publix or Kroeger, it would cost a lot. I have to keep telling myself that when I see the receipt.
    Keep in mind also, for those of you who complain that you can't eat all the food before it goes bad: invest in a food vacuum sealer and a chest freezer. Between what you will save at Sam's by buying in bulk and saving will more than make up for your cost (I got a sealer for $60 and and a freezer for $140 at Walmart a few years ago) for the items. If you search online or thrift stores, you may find even better deals!

Anyway, I digress...

If you look at the mathematics: I go through 1 bag of chicken a month, 4 gallons of milk, 2 gallons of oj. This equals: $27 a month ($324/year.)
    If we take retail prices of the same I spend about $42 a month ($204/year). Just with these 3 items, I spend $180 less per year at Sam's ($15/month.)
    In 3 months, I've paid for my membership.
    And besides food, I've purchased contact lenses, auto tires, computer peripherals, office supplies and even a mattress at cheaper prices. I wouldn't say that I'd DIE without my membership, but it sure is a saving godsend!

On a tangent...even if you aren't a member of anywhere, get a food sealer anyway. That way, when chicken or whatever goes on a FAB sale, you can buy oodles and not worry about spoilage. You cna seal and freeze just about EVERYTHING! I've sealed buns, shredded cheese, sliced cheese, meat, seafood, andything I can think of!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since our closest Sam's is in Savannah, It's not worth it for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's worth it for us. We're a family of 5, with one in diapers. We save a bundle by going to Sam's. I have a food saver that I use to break my meat down into smaller meal portions. We usually go at least twice a month if needed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For us, it's worth it:

We only go to Town about once a month. So, I have my frequently-purchased items that I get at Sam's:

• cheeses
    • pesto sauce (in summer)
    • tortillas
    • chicken cordon blue
    • V8 for DH
    • gatoraid for DD
    • Asian veg
    • hummus
    • frozen shrimp
    • cheese sticks
    • onions
    • bananas
    • frozen berries
    • antacids
    • bacon bits

For me, it's a time savings as well as $$$ savings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, it's not worth it for us anymore. Now that I'm a hardcore coupon and sale shopper, I can get nearly ever single thing cheaper by shopping elsewhere (we don't shop at Wal-Mart either)........ the only thing that I've been tempted to go to Sams for lately is sliced cheese! For 8 something you get a HUGE thing of it......... We're almost out so I need to decide if I'll be going there or not. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our closest Sam's is 35min away and we don't have a deep freeze. We don't have the storage space nor the patience for the drive and with the gas prices going wishy washy..I'd prefer to shop at our local stores including Walmart. I think like another mama mentioned. That'd be WAY too much temptation to spend more too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink

I think Sam's Club is worth it. When I go I buy our personal care products in bulk.. such as body wash or soap (with 3 boys we go through a lot!). I also get quite a few of our meats and fresh fruits/veggies there. The chicken and the kielbasa sausage is quite a deal for me. I also buy the big bags of sugar and flour in bulk. I have the "Make A Mix" cookbook and I use mass amounts of these items in the mixes that I put together. Some spices I also buy are Cumin & Dried Onions. The popcorn is also a good deal for us as well. I get my monies worth at Sam's. I do try to only go once a month and I plan carefully before going. I will price-check the local grocery stores (including Walmart) to see if anything that I might possibly buy at Sam's is on sale there, especially if I have a coupon for that particular item. That is the wonderful thing about the internet... you can pull up the local prices at the local stores and compare them right in your own home! Oh yah one more thing.. I get the 5 gallon buckets of laundry detergent and the large bottles of dish washing detergent there also. I do plan on evaluating the laundry detergent aspect and see if I can make my own and if it would be as economical as the detergent I get from Sam's.... I will have to factor in the 5 gallon bucket.... they come in handy around the house!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a membership to Costco and think that it is totally worth it. I realize Sam's is a completely different store, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents anyways. I like it because I buy all my meats there and a lot of bulk items, and then I never shop for these anywhere else. The job is done for a long time, and money is saved. There are only two of us and it is still worth it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123