is the membership of sams club worth it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default is the membership of sams club worth it?

I was wondering what you guys thought about if it's worth it.

I am single but at least 3 other people eat what I buy. My brother, bf, and mom plus myself. I buy the majority of food say about 95 percent. Like I've found I can save like some cents of staples like butter, eggs, and organic milk so I figure right there I save 10 bucks is I save about 10 cents to 20 off walmarts price. Membership cost 40 bucks. I figure I'd need to buy a really big ticket purchase to add up to more savings. But they do have food samples when you come in so it does feed you up a bit. And they also do have things like snapple, etc. stuff you can't buy in selection like that there as well.

Before I joined I used coupons OCCASIONALLY but not enough to make a real dent since I usually forgot to buy the sunday paper. I figure at the least by the end of the year I should end up even hopefully. I of course just made a pricebook as I have noticed certain items being MORE expensive at sams club. It's like you really got to be careful and it can be annoying. What are your experiences on them?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have had a sams membership and currently have a BJs membership which is similar. i think its worth it if you can share it with some others. my mother and i who keep separate households have a family membership which lets you get more than one card, and we've had it so long it doesnt even have a picture so really i could lend it to a friend anytime. this way we split the cost and both get the savings. sams club requires an address verification to share a family card which sucks. We buy our paper products, concentrated cleansers, toiletries, socks, underwear, chicken breasts and that sort of stuff there but we don't go everymonth. So my advise to you is to share a memebership with someone go together and stock up a few times a year on your nonperishables.
    just my opinion
    reba

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a Sam's membership, but luckily it is paid for by my mother & her husband's business. We go roughly every two weeks and it has saved us quite a bit of money. We buy things like cheese, butter, lettuce, oranges, pasta noodles, coffee, hot chocolate, coffee creamers, veggies, tomato sauce, etc.. Since DH, DD and DS eat meat, we get most of their meat from there. On Saturday mornings we go and stock up on meat that has been reduced. (We have the business membership so we get in two hours earlier than regular membership and that is when they have the discounted meat out.) We normally get boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.59 lb (vs $3.89 at the local grocery stores) and 90/10 hamburger meat for $1.29 lb (vs $2.99 at the local grocery stores). For us, the price of pool chemicals is another benefit. I feel like it is worth the price of the membership and if ours was not paid for by the family business, we would pay for it ourselves.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have Costco where we're at. My inlaws have always paid for our membership. Which is a blessing. These are some of the typical things we buy there.

1.Gas
    2. 3lb bag organic coffee..comes out to about 3.66lb.
    3. TP
    4. Milk
    5. Frozen Salmon very rarely
    6. Kirkland Laundry detergent. I'm now back to making my own.
    7. Dishwasher detergent. Still using the stash from Jan06 electrosol deal
    8. Kirkland Jeans. $12 pair.

We haven't been since maybe Oct. except for gas.

There are deals to be had at these stores. I think it really depends on the total number in your household and what you use.
    They also offer a cheap hotdog/soda meal for $1.50 or an iced coffee or smoothie far cheaper than hitting four*bucks...
    We just try and watch the pricing and stay away from the movies/ book section.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a SAM'S membership, but only because it is paid for through DH's employer. That is one of the benefits his employer offers. I only buy certain items there, the rest I buy from WM or the local grocery store.

Some of the items I buy are:
    ~gas
    ~DS#2's protein bars
    ~meat
    ~canned tomatoes
    ~canned tomato sauce
    ~hamburger patties
    ~milk
    ~eggs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it's worth it also, I have a Sam's membership - I try to ask friends before I go to see if they need to go with me -
    One positive is that you can't pay with a credit card - you either have to have cash or a debit - so that helps curb the desire to overspend -

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't want a membership. When we had one I spent lots of money - cause it was a bit cheaper. So I'd leave there and say "oh my God, how did I spend so much??" cause everything is $10 or $20 cause it comes in such quantity. So I'm better off staying away from temptation and keep away from mass quantity of many things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you really have to invest the time with a price book. DH and I had a free membership to BJ's when his brother worked there, and once his brother left we had to decide if it was worth $40 a year to us. Once we took a good look at what we actually eat and started cooking from scratch a lot more, it had really become a good deal for us. But, like other posters have said, somethings are more expensive there so you need to compare the prices. We also don't have a Walmart with a grocery store near us, so we just had to compare BJ's prices to regular grocery store prices.

For us:
    Milk - 2% - BJ's is $2.26, the grocery store is $3.99 (store brand)
    Eggs - BJ's is $1.79 for 18, the grocery store is $1.59 for 12
    Bread - BJ's is $2.99 for two loaves, the grocery store is $2.29 for one loaf (we're picky on what kind of bread we buy - it has to be this kind LOL)
    Yeast - BJ's sells a 32oz package for $3.59, the grocery store sells 3 packets of .25 oz for $2.19
    Diapers - haven't totally done the math, but BJ's charges $30 for three times the amount of diapers Babies R Us sells for $13.
    Hamburger - BJ's charges $1.89/lb for 90/10, the grocery store charges $2.99/lb on sale.

The other thing I found with a price book is that often times BJ's prices are equivalent to sale prices. For example, butter is always $2.00/lb at BJ's. Butter is usually $3.99lb at the grocery store but it will occasionally go on sale for $1.99/lb. BJ's pricing makes a lot of items just "always on sale," which adds a lot to the convenience factor. Dry cereal is the same way, and a bunch of other things that we buy.

In the past we used to only go to BJ's if we were having a party or needed a lot of food, but this year we've really changed our habits so we go shopping at BJ's about once a week and go to the regular grocery store every two months or so, to get the few items that are cheaper there or items that we don't want to buy a huge supply of (like we don't need a gallon jar of mayo - it will go bad before we finish it).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It depends on your buying habits. We have a sam's membership, but I buy very carefully there, since many items are actually cheaper at aldi's. Everyday things that make it worthwhile for us include:

butter (this alone would probably pay for the membership over a year's time)
    cream
    half & half
    milk
    ground beef
    cheese
    dishwasher soap
    cat litter
    yeast
    some seasonings/spices

if you have the freezer space, their case prices on meats are pretty good. For example, you can buy the 90/10 ground beef for $1.57/lb or ground chuck for $1.40/lb. I have not liked some of their cuts of beef, so I usually buy cuts (other than ground) at the regular grocery when they go on sale.

and recently, we replaced old, yucky carpeting in our home with laminate flooring from sam's, that had a lifetime warranty. It was only $1.55/sq ft, which was far less than any other source we found. We saved nearly $1000 on a purchase we were going to make, one way or another, so the membership has more than paid for itself for us. If you are planning on any large ticket purchases of appliances, electronics, etc., then you might find a sam's membership useful. You should check out the prices for yourself at their website. You can even get the grocery pricing if you type in your zip code to get your local club.

beware of overspending there, though. it's really easy to do. only shop from a list, and with a clear idea of what it will cost you when they ring up the total. make sure you comparison shop because many things that seem like they are cheaper are really not, when you do the math. flour and sugar are two that come to mind immediately--aldi's regular prices are less per pound. eggs are cheaper at aldi's too, at least in my area.

and they *do* take CCs now at sam's. they take discover and mastercard, and visa debit (but not visa credit), and also their own store credit accounts. they are planning on adding visa in the near future.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow you guys seem to have much larger stores. Some of you have better meat deals too. Here I think walmarts meat ends up being cheaper or even the higher end store here than at sams club. It's really a pick and choose here. I went again today and ended up spending like 60 for basically 6-7 items lol I like they have some unique items there that I can't get elsewhere. The eggs and milk I think are the best deal that I get often there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't have time to read all of the posts, so please forgive me if I repeat what other people have said. We got a great brand of car battery at Sam's last week. The auto parts store wanted $80.00 for it and we got it at Sam's for $54.27. We also priced there Michelin tires while there and four tires mounted... is $416.00. We couldn't get them at a tire store cheaper.

We shop at Sam's once a month and we buy food, paper and soap products, batteries and vitamins. We always shop with a list and before I go to Sam's, I calculate what we will spend and see if it is within the budget that we have set for the month.

I find that if you stick with your list and calculate as you go and have a set budget then it can really be a money saver.

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it is worth it, in the amount of milk we drink alone! I also always buy yeast, cocoa, lemon juice, cooking oil, lemons, organic salad mix, buns, and chicken breasts. sometimes these items go on sale for cheaper at the grocery store and if they are then I buy them there, but for the most part Sams has the lowest for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by happydog View Post
    and recently, we replaced old, yucky carpeting in our home with laminate flooring from sam's, that had a lifetime warranty. It was only $1.55/sq ft, which was far less than any other source we found. We saved nearly $1000 on a purchase we were going to make, one way or another, so the membership has more than paid for itself for us. If you are planning on any large ticket purchases of appliances, electronics, etc., then you might find a sam's membership useful. You should check out the prices for yourself at their website. You can even get the grocery pricing if you type in your zip code to get your local club.

We purchased our laminate flooring from Sam's too. It saved us a bundle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a Costco membership and it's $40/year. It saves us WAAAAAY more than that annual cost. We use it for food, gas, sometimes clothing...etc, etc. And the samples are a nice "bonus".

Check out what you use...more than likely you'll easily make up the annual cost...and then save, save, save!!
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Can you go with a friend a few times and try it out?

They give one-day passes sometimes. We shop there about once per month and buy all the things other people have said were a good deal (laundry soap, dishwasher soap, mouthwash, shampoo, etc). I like to buy in large quantities because it keeps be from going back to the store so often. The more you go, the more you buy (at least I do anyway). Shopping at Sam's keeps me from spending more at other places. You have to be careful though! Make a list and stick to it.....and stay away from those ladies with food samples! I always seem to buy what they are selling!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast