Aldi - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aldi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by she who can not cook View Post
    I WONDER WHAT IT IS WITH THE POTATOES AT ALDI WE GET STINKY ONES OVER HERE i will not buy them its like the bags get very sweating i complained to the cashier there she said it had just been put out
    That's odd!! We bought a 10 lb bag of potatoes there yesterday for our corned beef/cabbage/carrots/potato dinner. The potatoes were smaller, but otherwise ok. We also bought 2# bags of whole carrots there yesterday. They were ok too!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

in the US I never had an Aldi around, so coming back to Germany I had "to learn to go shopping" again, and naturally Aldi was the first one on my list, since it was THE store I grew up with.

But I don't like it. I get some basics there (tp, some juice, some dairy products), but I don't like their produce at all!

Here we don't even have the transportation problem as Germany is the home of Aldi. Their quality has gone down a lot since I was a child.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try not to shop at any major supermarket chain because of the "food miles" that most of the food (canned, produce, drygoods, whatever) has travelled - it all adds to fuel costs, greenhouse gases, and in the end, your pocket costs as well.

I go to Aldi for some canned staples (such as tomatoes) but are hoping to do away with that for a 12 month period shortly. My plan is to go to the city produce market, buy 4 cases of tomatoes, and preserve them in Fowlers Vacola enough to make 60 x 400 gram bottles, which is what a family of 4 would use in a year. If that is a success I will try other types of vegetables, (beans etc), and hopefully cut out using canned goods altogether - they use so much energy in their growth, transport, canning, transport again; it makes me shudder every time I pick up a can of kidney beans!!

As for eating red meat....1200 litres of water makes 500 grams of porterhouse steak - no thanks!! I'll stick to less environmentally damaging forms of nutrition, much as I like meat!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I noticed today at Aldi that milk prices were less there than I have seen in any other store lately. A gallon of any milk was only $1.69, I usually pay $2.09at my regular grocery store. I bought several bags of groceries there today and I only spent $26.28. I bought baking products-sugar, choc. chips, evaporated milk, block of cheese, (4) canned biscuits, noodles, jar of sauce, some canned veggies and soups, kittly litter, kitty food, tp, and bagels. I never do this well at the regular grocery store, even with coupons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My MIL taught me to store potatoes in the fridge. They will last forever(well almost). So, I do buy potatoes at Aldi if they look good and keep them in the fridge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our Aldi's just did a major renovation and I love it. The employees are great too. I'm a big fan of couponing, but I still seem to do much better at Aldi's without the coupons. As to the veggies, for me they are a hit and miss. Sometimes they look great, other days not so great, but all in all I've never had a bad experience with them. Our milk prices here are $1.99 a gallon and Krogers is $2.49.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to have sweet potato tonight, NOPE, I opened the bag I bought yesterday and yuck, 2 totally rotten ones and the rest looked like they were 4 yrs old. so I cut the end off and am rooting to make hanging plants, so I guess it wasnt too big of a waste.I always have luck with their cauliflour though

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pkellyc View Post
    Here is a pet peeve of mine, when buying apples or any produce is to have the baggers or cashiers just throw them into the bag.
    Your Aldi bags the groceries? I thought they were strictly bag your own.

UKBB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love ALDI ...........never had any problems with them with food or products (but we have extremely strict rules regarding food in Australia)
    I've saved hundreds of dollers shopping there . We have a store called NQR. that's great too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have only been in Aldi a few times but I do buy green peppers there, even at our local fruit market store they are going for almost .80 cents a piece and 3 for .79 at Aldi... helps save the cost of stuffed peppers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually buy veggies there, but no fruit. Maybe bananas when we feel like them. I've never had problems with any of the veggies, but then I really inspect them before buying. If they don't look fresh, I won't buy them. I've never had problems with the potatoes or onions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

[/QUOTE]As for Aldi I buy bananas there all the time. If they are green I put them in a paper bag in a dark closet and they ripen beautifully. Bagged salads, carrots, green peppers, and celery are good too, you just have to check everything out throughly before you buy it.[/QUOTE]

Ditto and we've had good luck with watermelons too.

Registered User thriftstorequeen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like ours. I do use it up fast. I'm going to try the potatoes in the fridge. We just don't eat them fast enough where ever I get them.
    Last edited by thriftstorequeen; 09-25-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aldi has a double guarantee: if you're not satisfied, return it and they will replace the item AND give you a refund. I hope everyone that isn't happy with a purchase is doing that. I've had only one problem buying produce, and that was because I didn't thoroughly check out the middle of a bunch of grapes before I bought them. But I did return them, got another bunch and my money back, so it's all good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I mostly get their colored peppers because they are way cheaper there than anywhere else even on sale and I've never got a bad pack. I use them up right away or slice and freeze. Mushrooms and bananas have to be used right away and russet potatoes are good if used within 2 weeks usually. But I agree you have to inspect it very well before buying it or else you'll be sorry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast