Aldi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aldi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Aldi

I broke my own rule about not buying produce at Aldi. I have gotten really bad stuff there before. I do like Aldi for some things, like frozen salmon fillets, chocolate chips, and olive oil. Well, I was in there this morning, and decided to take a chance on a bag of mixed fruit. It was five pounds of apples and oranges for $3.99. I looked the bag over, and thought it looked OK. Well, I was wrong! I got home and opened the bag to put the fruit in the fridge, and two of the oranges had moldy soft spots on them, and the red delicious apples had several soft brown spots. I will NEVER buy produce at Aldi again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I picked up a bag of vine ripened tomatoes there and on closer inspection it had some kind of chrysalis on them. Yuck!

Here is a pet peeve of mine, when buying apples or any produce is to have the baggers or cashiers just throw them into the bag. DH is embarrassed when I make them go back and get me a new bag. But who wants to eat bruised fruit?
    As for Aldi I buy bananas there all the time. If they are green I put them in a paper bag in a dark closet and they ripen beautifully. Bagged salads, carrots, green peppers, and celery are good too, you just have to check everything out throughly before you buy it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our Aldi has some very nice produce, including cucumbers out of season. We like to buy bananas there too because our kids love them and I like to make banana bread.

I have heard many people state that their particular Aldi has bad produce, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The few times I have been in ours, the produce seems fairly good. The only exception would be the potatoes. Oh goodness does that box STINK to walk by. You know how rotten potatoes smell...that's what it smells like!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with Heather on the potatoes, that and the onions. To be honest, I only buy Green Peppers and Tomatoes at Aldi and ONLY if I am going to use them right away

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My mom warned me against the potatoes at Aldi. She said that they tend to have rotten ones in the bag when you get them home. I bought a bag of onions for only 79cents and I only had to toss one of them out. The rest have been fine. I am very weary of the rest of the produce though. I love shopping there for everything else though, I haven't found better prices on canned goods or cereal anywhere else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think their potatoes stink, too! I picked up a bag of Yukon Gold potatoes in there today, but I put them right back! They were cheap, only $1.39 for five pounds, but no bargain if they are rotten. I have purchased head lettuce at Aldi that looked perfectly green and fresh on the outside, but got it home and peeled a few leaves off to wash it, and it was all brown inside. I will say that the baby carrots are usually safe. I have purchased them several times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't like the produce their either.
    I haven't found a problem with anything else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just bought some apples there, and boy are they nasty! I have bought the baby carrots = ok, and green peppers, and bananas without any problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If it were me I would bring them back to the store and get my money back...I would also tell them why you dislike their produce..

I buy my potatoes,onions,garlic,lettuce,carrots,mushrooms and bananas from Aldi's and knock on wood I have been very fortunate so far not to have anything damaged or rotten..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will not buy produce at Aldi's, either, because of the poor quality.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I WONDER WHAT IT IS WITH THE POTATOES AT ALDI WE GET STINKY ONES OVER HERE i will not buy them its like the bags get very sweating i complained to the cashier there she said it had just been put out

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have bad experience with produce at Aldi but I don't get to buy there that often, either.

I had the experience to find a rotten apple in a bag which was on sale. The next day I told the produce manager about it, he asked me if I wanted a refund but I have to produce my receipt which I have thrown away. So he asked if I would be appeased with 2 bags and I gladly took it. The replacements had no issue.

I think its always worth to ask, you don't even have to bring the rotten proof, they usually take your word for it. Hopefully you encounter people who aim to please their customers. BTW, its good practice to write feedback to the store, they usually take it seriously. I have always received replies from the COO/president and a few times, there were giftcards enclosed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to Aldi today to get some other things. I looked at the produce, and the strawberries were all moldy. The blueberries were shriveled and had mold, too. I did buy baby carrots. I have never had any issues with the baby carrots. I also got some frozen strawberry fruit bars. We love these bars! They are so good!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't had much trouble with the produce there either, but I do think you have to really inspect what you are buying. I buy the baby carrots, celery, green peppers, onions, poatoes and bananas quite often. I also buy avacados and tomatoes when their price is good. Our store is only a few years old and many of the same people have been there since it opened, so I know them. I also like to get many things there that aren't produce, especially the cinnamon danishes....yum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast