Frugal Village Forums banner

What are your dollar store finds?

31K views 225 replies 178 participants last post by  jacobhue 
#1 ·
What have you found inexpensive there and what do you buy regularly there?
I go mostly to pick up small items for my son, but I have picked up gift bags there too.
I don't go very often because I find that I start adding too much to the ole cart that I don't need.

Sara

#2 ·
Good finds at Dollar Tree over the last several weeks......

- Herbal Essences full-sized moisturizer, astringent, cleanser
- 20ct. packs of jingle bells (for crafts) - they are $3.99 at the JoAnn store here
- Cassette/book combos that ds just loves (Old MacDonald Had Some...... - there are six different ones available... ducks, hens, sheep, cows, pigs, horses)
- World map and USA map
- Full-sized Suave body wash (freesia scent only - didn't buy any because I didn't need it)
- Seventeen brand hair barettes (two and 3 to a pack - very pretty)

#3 ·
Cleaning supplies, small toys and coloring books, things like that. Our dollar stores don't have much of a selection :(

#4 ·
I bought children activities books that were worth 5-6 $. I think they were liquidating them, because there not many of them. I was so suprised and happy to find that!

I found last year, some Noxema Body Wash(at least 300-350 ml) for 1$! I had bought a few since my handicapped aunt uses liquid soap to bath.

I'm very selective with I buy...I make sure it's not just junk or useless.:)

#5 ·
I very seldom go to the dollar stores here. I find most of their stuff cheap in quality and usually within days, most of the stuff is broke.

Many of our dollar stores are no longer in business here and aren't near as popular as when they first came here. Here, most of the items in our dollar stores are now well over a dollar and in fact are now getting closer to $4-5 and up.

I use to purchase their craft paints but now can purchase them for less at a craft store (top quality paint besides) than I can at the dollar store.

#8 ·
I love all the Dollar stores. I get cleaning supplies, paper, pens, clothes, etc at all of them. But, I have to keep myself out of them as much as possible because I try to buy the store when I'm there! lol

The other day I went to the Family Dollar and found great looking men's shirts that had been $15 for $3. I got some for Christmas presents.

#9 ·
This week I found videos of the older John Wayne movies, the black and whites, at our local dollar store. Bought one of each movie for Christmas gifts. I also like to buy tins, books, gift bags and wrap, and candles there. We've found Hanes for Her bras at Dollar Tree for DD, as well as NFL bandages in the appropriate teams for DH and BIL for Christmas gifts. :D

#10 ·
We just finished painting our house. We needed brushes for the trim. We found good quality brushes, drop cloths and paint rollers for $1 each. I usually get cleaning supplies if they are good quality. Some seem like colored water. Some things like muffin mixes you have to watch the price because they are usually cheaper at Wal-Mart or Aldi. I buy all my greeting card there 2/$1 and birthday, or wedding wrap. I buy Christmas paper after Christmas when it's on sale. I also found some nice dressy socks. They are usually 3 for $5 at Walmart.

#11 ·
The dollar tree sometimes has clearance stuff 10/1.00 usually it's junk. Last time I was in I got these animal shaped loofas, Shaped like sea horses, dolphins, sea shells, ect. there are 2 in a pack, that's 20 shapes for $1.00. Bought all they had, 23 pairs. I will use most for gift baskets and some I will pour melted glycerin soap on them, wrap and add to baskets also. I gave the kids a couple and their little necks are spotless clean....:D :D :D My Sister tells me I have an O.C.D. (obsessive, compullsive, disorder) because I buy this way. I usually use everything I buy. Do any of you buy this way ????

#12 ·
I don't bother with the dollar stores very often, but I have picked up a broom, dish pan, small laundry baskets that I fill for housewarming gifts. We are currently doing centerpieces for our family reunion and picked up little lighthouses that are put in a AC Moore floating candle holder with sand and water.

#13 ·
I LOVE my dollar store! I am a plant fanatic and they usually have lots in small 4 in pots. I have bought tons of educational place mats for my kids (letters, math, puzzles) There is a scrubber sponge i always buy there. I get childrens books, sometimes one or two for me, note pad paper, crayons, pencils, large steak knives. one thing i was bummed out about was Ajax scouring powder, i always bought 14 oz for .99$ and at my grocery store i can get 21oz for .71$ But other than that i really like my dollar stores, there are 2 that i go to near me.:D

#15 ·
Some dollar stores are better than others, I tend to like them
as Dollar General (we do not have Dollar Tree here, which I love)
is clean & the store is laid out in easy to find manner, I find I
spend less there than when I go to Walmart.

I buy greeting cards, gift wrap, office supplies (envelopes,
sticky notes), cleaning supplies, toothpaste, birdseed,
some seasonal items, cornbread (Jiffy), noodles.

#16 ·
Yes, Lori...I am like you sometimes. lol If something is on super liquidation sale that it's almost ridiculous...I buy alot or what they have left. Mostly it was for also adding in baskets for gifts or children's parties gifts. A few weeks ago I bought 6 albums for holding 200 pics each at my drugstore...They were high quality albums that were in liquidation for 2.00? instead of 8.00$. They had new designs to sell and these were the last 6. That was great, because I needed albums very badly, because I had so many pics to organize since so many years and I never wanted to but expensive albums.

I also buy food in bulk when the price is ridiculously low. I have 1 kg. kraft peanut butter for the next year to come because I paid 1.99$ each instead of 4.99 $ each.(that's the price here in Quebec)

So, hey, you are not the only O.C.D.! lol:laugh:

#17 ·
I got some cold medicine at the Dollar General yesterday. I was at a chain drug store and couldn't get myself to cough up ;) the $4 + for their generic kids medicine and the $5.99 they wanted for a jar of generic vicks vaporub. I found both at the DG for $1. each. The size, the packaging and the name of the generic brands at DG and the drug store were almost identical. Hmmmm.
They probably get their stuff from the same manufacturer.

Keilley

#18 ·
I like to buy the ziploc baggies at our .99 cent store. I don't buy most of their products cause they are not worth it. We don't have a real dollar store but I did see an add in the paper for managers of "The Dollar Store" and since we don't have one yet I'm betting we will soon. LOL We're still waiting on a Walmart.

#19 ·
The Dollar Tree opened in my area yesterday. It was packed. I went last night. It is bright and clean. I was surprised to see name brand products. We have a dollar store at the mall but it is pretty junky. I bought chip clips, salad dressing, toilet brush with holder, a bill organizer, and brown sugar.
marcimae:)

#20 ·
I love the Dollar Tree. I have bought gameboy game cases where you can carry your games, light and game. I have also gotten a mongoose scooter bag, sweaters (put up for Christmas), boxers for the boys, crafting supplies, secret pal (work) gifts and many other items!

At the Dollar General I get Butler toothbrushes FREE. They are 1.00 and I use the 1.00 off coupons. I also get Rave mouse with a coupon...50 cents.

#22 ·
We have all sorts of dollar stores here. Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, 4 Dollar Generals, $1 Stop and $1 Shop. I think my favorite is the Dollar Tree. I buy cleaning supplies, pens, paper, gift bags and cards there. At our $1 Stop and $1 Shop I buy my daughters hair thingys. Barrettes, clips, bows, etc. I don't generally buy my food there as it's often cheaper elsewhere.

#23 ·
I'm totally hooked on Dollar General and Dollar Tree down here. I recently bought dishes at the Dollar Tree. They are SOOO cute, and match my new "bring the outdoors indoor" decorating theme to a "t". They have little gloves and gardening tool pics all around the edge of the dishes. PLUS they are basically green, which is one of my base colors. I could only find the dishes and bowls, but I found cups to match for $1 apiece at Wal-Mart.

I worked at Dollar General once, but not long. Our local store is not managed well, so the stock is always low, but it's only a mile away, so I go there often.

#24 ·
I enjoy shopping at the Dollar Store, they have great deals on some things that I had never considered buying there before. I have recently bought: body & face soap, greeting cards, flower seeds, flower bulbs, gardening gloves, and wrapping paper. I can usually find food and cleaning supplies cheaper elsewhere. I want to go back this week and buy their potting soil and maybe one or two small plastic rectangular planters for my balcony.

#25 ·
over the past month hubby found a wrestling hard cover book worth $39.99(wed never pay that lol), and 4 bottles of sauve, noxema 2 for dollar, pencils , all kinds of school needs(bristleboard etc), dawn dish det. , n.n. crackers, dainty rices, pure garlic in bottle(minced), 2 for dollar reallemon juice plastic bottle, all my cleaning supplies, almost everything can be found if I go at least1 every week with only so money lol

#26 ·
I love the dollar tree. I get Sara Lee bread there everything from loaves, to bagels to buns. I usually buy about 10 at a time when they have them and freeze them. I get all of my cleaning supplies there as well except dishwasher detergent. All my bath and body stuff comes from their Name Brand shampoos, conditioners, and body washes. Once i got double packs of Softsoap Body washes that was a great day. I get 90% of my spices there and a lot of my dry goods. Ours also is putting in a freezer and fridge section right now so im anxious to see what comes out of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.