Dollar Store - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dollar Store

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ditto what Jinx said. Ideally I would love to only buy items made in America by people earning a fair wage..however...it is a global economy. Just about every store has something for sale "made in China" so I doubt the people heckling you can be totally guilt free, I am sure there homes are filled with items made overseas. There is a book for sale called " A Year Without made in China". I have not read it, but read the reviews and interviews with the author & sounds like it is pretty humorous and entertaining and the point is most of use do not realize how much of what we consume is made overseas.
    Most of us go to Dollar type stores for a reason: we are on a budget. With the price of gas & groceries going up, well, we all try to do the best we can. Where we shop is a personal decision and for most of us trying to stretch a dollar, I would love someone out there try to tell me where I can find the items I need (and yes, need) in the same price range without driving all over the place wasting gas....which brings up a whole other set of issues!
    I recycle, I shop at the farmers market in the summer, heck, I watch PBS. I know most people on this board are just trying to do they best they can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by autumnlynn View Post
    Recently I was attacked for going there. I was told that I was supporting cheap labor from under-developed countries and China and that I was causing much humanitarian suffering by choosing to patronize these stores.
    I happen to be an importer from a third world nation, and I know, first hand, that I'm helping workers there. Yes, my workers over there make unbelievably low wages, but without my dollars and the dollars of other buyers, they'd have no income. Not all imported goods come from sweat shops. Before I chose my company in India, I went there to check it out myself, and though some of my guys only make $20 per month, they're not starving, have decent homes, work no more than 60 hours per week, have their children in school, no child labor, etc. They live differently there...families sharing a home that their ancestors have owned for generations, so with their combined incomes, they do manage to raise their circumstances. It's cooperative living, and it works. Not all cases are so rosy, but I can prove that it's not all bad either. Besides, who did that creature think they were attacking your shopping choice? That's some nerve.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Moontidearts View Post
    I happen to be an importer from a third world nation, and I know, first hand, that I'm helping workers there. Yes, my workers over there make unbelievably low wages, but without my dollars and the dollars of other buyers, they'd have no income. Not all imported goods come from sweat shops. Before I chose my company in India, I went there to check it out myself, and though some of my guys only make $20 per month, they're not starving, have decent homes, work no more than 60 hours per week, have their children in school, no child labor, etc. They live differently there...families sharing a home that their ancestors have owned for generations, so with their combined incomes, they do manage to raise their circumstances. It's cooperative living, and it works. Not all cases are so rosy, but I can prove that it's not all bad either. Besides, who did that creature think they were attacking your shopping choice? That's some nerve.
    This is very informative. Thank you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All I can say is that 70% of what Wal-Mart sells comes from China or other underdeveloped countries like India. The same people who blast you for this probably buy a lot of what they have at Wal-Mart.

Keep in mind that if you are buying fruit out of season, it's probably from another country. ALL bananas are from another country....wanna stop eating bananas? BTW, banana pickers have the highest death rate of any worker because of the deadly brown banana spider, so our obsession with cheap bananas is killing people in central and south america every day.

Even buying American grown produce, you're supporting illegal aliens.

Unless you're going to become a pioneer, and make all your own stuff and grow all your own food, you're going to buy something from another less developed country.

I will continue to buy things from the dollar stores. I see no harm in it. It's not most of what I buy. You can't get around global trade completely, so you might as well just do what feels right to you.

I will not buy packaged edibles (including pet food) made in another country after all the scares. I buy fruits and veggies in season, mostly at a local stand where I know I'm getting American produce (except bananas, of course). If I buy produce from another country, it's tree grown and peelable like mangos or avocados (remember the Mexican spinach scare?).

There is plenty of stuff made in the U.S. or Canada that I can buy frugally. I don't feel guilty that maybe 2% of what I buy is from other countries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by annymoll View Post
    Well hell, honey, Wallace World does the same crap. And I'd rather see a Dollar spent at Dollar Store than one red cent in the pocket of the Walton's.That ,to me, is a true crime.

I totally agree.....no matter what store you shop at, I'm sure that they do the same thing to some degree.I shop where the best deals are-no regrets here either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My opinion is that most of the stuff in all the stores is from a foriegn country and made by cheap labor, so why not only pay a dollar for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pqb57 View Post
    My opinion is that most of the stuff in all the stores is from a foriegn country and made by cheap labor, so why not only pay a dollar for it.
    Amen to that! A lot of stuff that is "made in America" is made with ingredients/parts from other countries. All American made cars are mostly mexican made parts. Only the bodies are made here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think we all just have to deal with our homes and familys the best we can and pick and choose our fights.

I myself have decided to stop shopping AMazon.com because they sell books and vidoes on how to breed, train and fight dogs and cocks.

I don't expect other people to stop shopping there because I do.

Freedom to choose and shop your conscience is important.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think we will continue to have such attitudes as long as there are so few people in the US willing to work "cheap" enough to compete - and our standard of living does not easily permit people to work that cheap and try to sustain any normal life in our society. So, who is being hurt by your buying what you want where you can afford it? If you did not buy things there, would you necessarily buy the same amount from some higher-priced store that only has union-made goods? probably not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It just bugs me when someone tries to force their shopping views on someone else. I'll stop buying at Walmart (or insert any other name of a store) when someone else starts buying my families groceries and household products. I have no regrets whatsoever on where I choose to shop. Sorry, but the needs of my family come first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Missourimom View Post
    It just bugs me when someone tries to force their shopping views on someone else. I'll stop buying at Walmart (or insert any other name of a store) when someone else starts buying my families groceries and household products. I have no regrets whatsoever on where I choose to shop. Sorry, but the needs of my family come first.

Exactly! I shop where I can get the most bang for my buck! When the bleeding hearts pay my bills they can tell me where to shop. I know lot's of people who work at Walmart-and they aren't complaining.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop at Dollar Stores simply because I can afford it.
    It doesn't cross my mind that by doing so I am supporting cheap labor and I don't honestly care too much. I just shop where I can afford to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Someone I knew long ago said, unless they are paying my bills they don't have any say in what I do, and even if they do, I question their authority.

Too, many people think they have the right to get into other people's business. I had a young lady in my house once who told me I had to do something, I sent her home. I am not above using sign language on grown people who think they have the idea they are going to tell me what to do or where to go.

I dunno, depending on my mood, I probably would have had a few choice words for a stranger telling me that I shouldn't shop somewhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default sorry i shop at walmart except meat.

I do a lot of shopping at walmart, not because they close all the mom and pop shops, just because they offer the lowest prices for me. i guess is selfish. my son works at a walmart distribution center in Opelika, al. he is 21 years old and makes 15 dollars a hour. he works in a freezer area and moves frozen food items to the trucks for shipping. IF we use the walmart theory about how they move into our cities and close all the mom and pop groceries. then we need to apply the same reasoning on the toyoto, honda. nissian, madza, etc.. they have came from overseas and are slowly shutting down american cars. cause they do it cheaper and better and non union mostly. I wonder. what winn dixie or pulblix, mom and pop grocery or dollar store pays thier brand new no experience trainie compared to what walmart pays thier brand new no experience trainie. I hear a lot of conflict about thier pay scale and insurance. Most of thier problem spotlights is done by unions. i am not campaigning for all of you to run to walmart but i wonder how much of this public debate is unions wanting more members to further elevate thier position and not nessarily the walmart workers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i have to agree with gentledenny. walmart isnt as bad as people make them out to be. i know plenty of people, who work for walmart that agrees that they get paid good for their job title. you will always find people bashing mass retailers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12