Dollar Store
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dollar Store

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Dollar Store

I never really shopped at the Dollar Store because I felt the quality would be really bad. Well, after I got over myself, I started going there and have found some awesome bargains.

Recently I was attacked for going there. I was told that I was supporting cheap labor from under-developed countries and China and that I was causing much humanitarian suffering by choosing to patronize these stores.

I never really thought about that. I just figured it was over-stock from other stores that didn't sell.

Am I in the wrong here, in your opinion? I was wondering what your views are.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm, now I'm wondering!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When you think of it, a good portion of us support these countries when buying products from other stores as well so it just isn't the dollar stores. Next time I'm in my local dollar store I'm going to try and look around at where things were made. I've always thought of the items as being the items from other stores going out of business? Now this is making me wonder and concerning me as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A lot of the Dollar Stores here carry over stock from other stores. The "Real Deals" store I go to has stuff from Target, Sears, Linen's N' Things, etc.

That said, I don't think anyone should attack you for where you shop. It's your choice. Besides, I can just about guarantee there's *something* they buy *somewhere* that was made in China or some other similar country

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMom View Post
    A lot of the Dollar Stores here carry over stock from other stores. The "Real Deals" store I go to has stuff from Target, Sears, Linen's N' Things, etc.

That said, I don't think anyone should attack you for where you shop. It's your choice. Besides, I can just about guarantee there's *something* they buy *somewhere* that was made in China or some other similar country
    my thoughts exactly.

I shop where i can afford the best bang for my buck. No regrets.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I shop where I can afford what I need. Most of the stuff at the dollar store here is just leftovers from department stores.

I refuse to feel guilty over where I spend my hard earned dollars. I hear this stuff all of the time about Walmart.

You make your own decision!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

some of it is made for them, some of it is overstock from other stores. manufacturers will make deals with the higher end stores that they will buy back all inventory of an item if it doesn't sell in a certain amount of time. when they get it back they then sell it to stores like the dollar store or tuesday morning, big lots, etc. it just depends on where they will get the best deal. unfortunalty it is getting harder and harder to find things that are only made in the us without going totally broke. if you can find everything you need and it's not made in 3rd world countries, that's great for you. but gosh that could be a full time job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well hell, honey, Wallace World does the same crap. And I'd rather see a Dollar spent at Dollar Store than one red cent in the pocket of the Walton's.That ,to me, is a true crime.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by annymoll View Post
    Well hell, honey, Wallace World does the same crap. And I'd rather see a Dollar spent at Dollar Store than one red cent in the pocket of the Walton's.That ,to me, is a true crime.

I have to agree 100% with you. I cannot bring myself to spend money at Walmart. I was very happy to be able to get every bit of my school shopping done without setting food in one

While we're on the subject.... is there such a thing as underwear (panties) that are not made in some place like Bangladesh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the Dollar Store, I can't find a better price on soap or cards anywhere else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The bigger chains of dollar/off price/discount stores carry merchandise that is overstock from other retailers. Although there are so many of these off price stores now and currently being opened I cannot see how there is enough overstock to supply them. The merchandise has to come from somewhere and be inexpensive enough for the stores. So of course some of the merchandise is coming from China and other areas of the world where it is cheap to produce goods. I would think there are factories in China and elsewhere that are producing good just for these dollar stores, which is why some of them carry brands we never heard of with varying degrees of quality. The clothing designers have been doing this for years because there isnt enough backstock to fill all the outlets that have opened in the last 10 years. Liz Claiborne, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Coach all have lines that are produced exclusivly for their outlets. The styles may be the same but the quality is often less than if a garment is purchased at a regular retail store because the price has to be lower to be sold at an outlet. The same is true for Mikasa, Corning, and Lenox, they too produce products exclusivly for their outlets at reduced prices.

I only buy names I know for H&B or items for the yard, garden, school supplies, etc. I am wary of buying food products at these stores. Buy what you can afford and dont feel guilty. Believe me I would buy American if I could.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i dont trust the milk from our $ store b/c the last time i got it from there it went bad within a couple of days. ive knowticed that the fisher price clothes they sell (or atleast the store here) fits better on merrick than the clothes we get at target, meijers, jc pennys or kouls. they are kinda on the small side and that maybe why. merrick is a picky eater and he is still in sizes 24 months to 2 t for toddler clothes. like a few weeks ago i made scrambled eggs with all kinds of cut up veggies and he loved it but yesterday i made some scrambled eggs with sausage and a green pepper from mom's garden and he didnt eat it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You all are really informed buyers. I never really gave thought to these things. The person angry with me acted like children were being forced to work in sweat shops, etc., and I got to feeling guilty.

If you don't mind my asking, why are so many people against Wal-Mart? I'm asking because I'd like to be as informed as possible before I decide where to shop.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

YankeeMom has a link on her signature. Wake up Walmart. Walmart has been in the news for it's low pay, so low that the workers there cant afford the health insurance they offer, discrimination against women becoming managers, and the way they come into a town and destroy all the competition. I read that they were building a new Superwalmart accross the road from the old one. They didnt want any new business in the area so they left the old building empty and wouldnt rent it to anyone. Just to keep the competition out. One friend whose brother used to work at a regional office as a buyer a few years ago described Walmart as a locust. Coming in and destroying everything in it's path.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love dollar stores and appreciate that I can find some good values at them. Plus, they provide jobs and a chance for those who have limited budgets to buy the necessities at a reasonable price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast