@ Aldi You DIY & Pay Equal Prices to Walmart - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i wish i had an aldi's near me. the only thing that sounds similar is big lots but its a little out of the way.

Registered User PoorRichardsGirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop at both Wal-Mart and Aldi, for different things, and there are aggravations with both.

I have to say the milk is much cheaper at Aldi than at our particular Wal-Mart. Here it's well over $4 a gallon at W-M.

And the shopping crowd at Aldi is much friendlier, laid-back and more helpful to each other. It's like a little community of people who have discovered something special and want to keep it pleasant. I even saw someone help out with a stranger's bill at Aldi, when they ran a little short. I just can't imagine that happening at Wal-Mart. There's a lot of rushing around, pushing in front of other people, often just plain rudeness. The senior citizens I see at Aldi would never make it at the Wal-Mart! OTOH, there are some name-brand things they don't have equivalents for at Aldi, that I get at Wal-Mart if they're not on sale anywhere else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Deserved to be fired

That cashier/manager deserved to be fired. You should of went to the local newspaper or tv station. I cant think how embarrassed and helpless your husband must of felt. I am so sorry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you Denny. I wish I had approached the media on this one. But I was very tired, worried about dh and not thinking terrible clearly at the time.

Now, Yankee Mom -- This was more than just a "personnel" issue -- it reflects the philosophy of the corporate culture of Aldi, which may also be seen in other areas of the store.

When I said I felt sorry for people who felt trapped into shopping at Aldi I wasn't talking specifically about people here -- my world is much larger than this forum. I was talking about the people in the poorest neighborhood in my city who have no grocery store as well as seniors and others on "fixed incomes." If you want to shop at Aldi, that's your business, but you really do have a choice. Thre are people who feel trapped into eating junk food because they believe they can't afford better. We are now beginning to realize as a nation that it doesn't just matter that we eat, but what we eat is also important. Many people are paying for years of poor nutrition with numerous health problems. You may see Aldi as a solution to eating on a budget, but I see Aldi as part of a much larger social problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I fail to see how One person and One Aldi is indicative of the entire corporate culture of Aldi. Aldi stretches far beyond the US, as they are a German-based company. I see Walmart as more of a problem in our society than Aldi.

But that is where we can agree to disagree

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's not just one person in one store. Since as far as I know nothing was ever done after the incident was reported to corporate, all I can conclude is that the behavior is considered acceptable. The quality (or lack of it) of the food sold in the stores seems to be fairly consistent. Caring about profit more than people is not something Aldi seems to even try to hide. One person running a store by herself consistently seems to me to show that they care even less for their employees than for their customers.

BTW I don't shop at WalMart either.

The cycle of poverty > poor diet > poor health > poverty in this country must be broken. It contributes to many of the social ills we hear about every night on the news and many issues currently before Congress. But to break the cycle we must first admit that it exists.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

genieb, I agree with what you are saying. When an Aldi first opened up in our area I was so excited because I was feeding my family cheaply and had extra money for other stuff. I see that as part of my young uneducated life, because I was filling my family up on overprocessed foods. I do go there a couple times a year now for sugar, flour and some other basic pantry items, but it isn't a store that I can feed my family from because it doesn't have a selection of foods high in nutritional value.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like Walmart's White Cloud diapers (size 4). They seem like the best deal and they don't leak like the Target brand. Does Aldi carry diapers? Any other good substitute? This is really the only thing I NEED from Walmart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you JustPeachy.

Registered User PoorRichardsGirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is not the first time I've come across the Aldi food = junk argument. It's just not true. Good grief, they carry nonfat/lowfat milk, cottage cheese and yogurt. They have real maple syrup, brown rice and soy milk. Whole wheat bread, whole wheat crackers, oatmeal, shredded wheat, fresh produce at good prices, plenty of frozen and canned vegetables and fruits. If someone goes in there and buys nothing but cheap soda and corn chips, it's not Aldi's fault.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

hmm.

I don't shop at either. The Aldi is 1/2 a state away, not cost effective. Walmart ticks me off almost everytime I go in, so I don't.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by PoorRichardsGirl View Post
    This is not the first time I've come across the Aldi food = junk argument. It's just not true. Good grief, they carry nonfat/lowfat milk, cottage cheese and yogurt. They have real maple syrup, brown rice and soy milk. Whole wheat bread, whole wheat crackers, oatmeal, shredded wheat, fresh produce at good prices, plenty of frozen and canned vegetables and fruits. If someone goes in there and buys nothing but cheap soda and corn chips, it's not Aldi's fault.
    I agree. I like them a whole lot better now that they have their "Fit" brands of foods.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by PoorRichardsGirl View Post

I totally agree with this. We don't buy pop, chips, and fatty processed foods. You can buy those foods just about anywhere. We eat plenty of low fat dairy, whole grains, and vegetables. Fresh veggies are good, but frozen are just fine, too. Aldis can be a great place to shop if you choose wisely.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've always found the food quality at Aldi to be great. I'm a very health conscious eater. Aldi's bags of frozen vegetables taste better to me, then those that cost double at Kroger and JayC. Aldi's can vegetables are priced at $0.39 which is about 10 cents cheaper then Walmarts. I don't like buying can vegetables though because I don't like the waste. But it's a good buy.

I have stopped buying dry milk from Aldi. My budget for food is $20 per week. I couldn't spend $12.99 on any given week just for milk, even though it usually lasted two weeks. I'd only had $7.00 left to buy food. So I've had to adapt.

I've began getting a small box of milk that makes 8 quarts from Walmart for $5.10. It should last me a week or week and a half. I've really cut down on my milk consumption. I use to drink about 5 gallons a week. Now by tampering off the amount of dry milk I mix with water. I'm able to consume less milk and a lot more water. Due to this, I've lost about 10 lbs simply by consuming less calories from milk.

I'm sure when less people buy Aldi's powered milk, they'll probably lower the price to get rid of it. I'll make sure to stock up then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default frugalityforgood...

I would love to see a list of your recipes. 20 dollars a week for food. I once again got to assume you have the killed side of beef, 40 chickens, 5 rabbits and a guinea pig in the freezer. stocked pantry and ready for winter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast