@ Aldi You DIY & Pay Equal Prices to Walmart - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You know, it gets really old to keep seeing the same doubting Thomas posts over & over again.

One thing, never ASSUME anything.
    Two, the previous poster is ONE person. It is not unbelievable that one person can live on $20/week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

aldi shopper here as well.... our store is neat, clean and the employees are very friendly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just have to add my two cents here. As the wife of a grocery store manager, believe me when I say that the stores are paying more for the items they are selling to us. They are in business to make a profit and to satisfy their owners and shareholders. Unfortunately, that means rising prices to all of us. I personally shop at Save a Lot, Aldis, Walmart and Giant Eagle depending on the prices of items, sales, coupons and sometimes convenience. At times I have been treated poorly in each of these stores and other times have had a wonderful shopping experience. Managers and store resources are only human and they have good and bad days just like the rest of us. While I agree there is no excuse for rudeness or ill treatment, unfortunately it does happen and many times the managers hands are tied as to what they can and can not do. I have seen my hubby called every name in the book, physically threatened and harrassed by customers who do not like the prices of items or who try to bring back meat that they purchased a year ago. I have seen him go to the mat to try to fire a poor employee, only to be told by upper management that it is not possible due to labor laws, etc. It really is a double edge sword. The best I can offer is to watch your prices, keep a price book and shop the coupons, loss leaders and the like to keep your costs as low as possible. If you are treated badly in a store, let the manager know but also write a letter to the corporate office and clearly state your expectations to resolve the issue. dont think that an employee will be fired for an infraction but do let management know about the issue. With enough complaints, action can often be taken. OK, I am off the soapbox now. This is just my humble opinion so thanks for listening. Happy shopping everybody

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default AGain i am sorry

I am sorry if my post seem to be considered doubting. i would wish you would characterize them as amazed. ANd a request for knowledge for recipes that i might then apply to my life. I am very new and just trying to absorb so much knowledge. Up until this month. I normally tried to set a budget for 10 dollar a day and found that challengeing. It is just a search for new information. i am sorry for my ignorant questions and poorly worded posts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have an Aldi store near me and it's lovely and clean and they carry a lot of good healthy food too, my favourite store though is Netto (i don't know if you have them in the USA) but you can buy branded goods at low prices. I haven't got a Walmart near me but they bought out ASDA which i also shop at as they are slighty cheaper then most other supermarkets.

MM

xx

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi guys, great thread!!! We have both here...I've shopped both...yup rising times as well as prices at both!!! As for the nutritional value of it all....well that depends on the person throwing it in the cart hahaha!!! Denny, I can tell you are new to this and your astonishment certainly is appreciated!!! Keep on reading for super ideas as we all have so much to share!!! Our Aldi's here is fair, the 2 employees (hehe) are very nice....the store isn't too bad overall ....if anything the way it is merchandised gives the idea of low budget but then again isn't that what we go in there for ....as far as the products I'd rate them on par for the money you are spending!!!! So all in all it is a give and take.....as for Walmart, well Walmarrt is Walmart hahaha!! You win some you lose some!!!!!!!!!!!! You all have some super points, take care, Katy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by gentledenny View Post
    I am sorry if my post seem to be considered doubting. i would wish you would characterize them as amazed. ANd a request for knowledge for recipes that i might then apply to my life. I am very new and just trying to absorb so much knowledge. Up until this month. I normally tried to set a budget for 10 dollar a day and found that challengeing. It is just a search for new information. i am sorry for my ignorant questions and poorly worded posts.
    Check out my blog posts this summer. I kept a detailed list of what I bought as well as my menus. http://www.villageblogger.com/YankeeMom/

You may have to register to be able to view the posts though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by PoorRichardsGirl View Post
    This is not the first time I've come across the Aldi food = junk argument. It's just not true. Good grief, they carry nonfat/lowfat milk, cottage cheese and yogurt. They have real maple syrup, brown rice and soy milk. Whole wheat bread, whole wheat crackers, oatmeal, shredded wheat, fresh produce at good prices, plenty of frozen and canned vegetables and fruits. If someone goes in there and buys nothing but cheap soda and corn chips, it's not Aldi's fault.
    Ditto Ditto Ditto

genieb, I think your experience is atypical of Aldi's philosophy and I'm sorry corporate hasn't acknowledged your letter. Maybe you should send another one. I've shopped at Aldi's for over 15 years in various locations and never encountered such rude behavior.

As to why the stores have been receiving overhauls and the quality of food has improved, they are applying more of their German philosophies to the US market. They are also using what's been successful with Trader Joe's (which they own) and applying it to their US business practices. Bagging your own groceries, paying for carts, store size and having limited access in and out of the store are practices they've followed in Germany since day one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default yankee mom

thanks for allowing me to read up on your blogs. I enjoyed the reading. is your DH still in the military, get hurt, or did he retire? I know it aint really any of my business.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by gentledenny View Post
    I once again got to assume you have the killed side of beef, 40 chickens, 5 rabbits and a guinea pig in the freezer stocked pantry and ready for winter.
    ... LOL, Denny ... guinea pig? Does that taste like chicken? Sorry ... just got me chucklin !!!

~ ~ ~

I'm sorry, "Genie", that you had a bad experience at Aldi's. I live less than 1 mile from an Aldi store and have NEVER had a problem even remotely similar, nor have I ever encountered anything similar in any store I've ever been in. I'm such a witch (or something that rhymes with witch), that I would have DARED the rude cashier to call the police, because I would have made such a loud stink in the store, the cops would have heard me from the donut shop where they were sitting when they got the call from dispatch about the 'disturbance' at the Aldi's store.

Our Aldi store is clean, well stocked, personnel is more than helpful. In fact, we were shopping there this evening picking up a few things for next week's lunches and stuff. I'm going to miss it when we move to Alabama because then we'll have a 50-mile drive to Aldi.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess we are lucky, we have a clean Aldi with polite and smiling workers.... it might be that they are paid more than the average grocery worker. I notice once they are working there they tend to stay. Actually, truth be told, I have seldom had a rude check out person no matter what store I have gone to.

I live about a mile from Aldi, less than a mile from the big chain groceries, and a mile from Walmart(let's hear it for living in town! ) I tend to shop at Aldi for basics for my family. I shop at the upscale chain for some of the extras (like my favored Greek yogurt) and the loss leaders. Walmart gets a tiny bit of my business, but mostly because they carry tall size jeans in my size . I am also about 10 miles from Save a Lot, which I shop at occasionally when I am in the area. I love the meat at this particular Save a Lot. It seems to be very reasonably priced.

The basics from Aldi for me are Potatoes, Rice, Cheese, veggies, hotdogs, butter, and some meats. I tend to buy their Fit and Active brand and prefer to spend a little more and buy their Brown Rice or healthier alternatives. I do find some of their prepared meals to be a nice alternative and still very frugal. I try to not get caught up in too many of the prepared foods and instead buy the basics. I do find some of their prepared foods to be good. Since I have teenage children who are picky, having a few alternatives on hand for meals they don't like is good for everyone. I buy the Spaghetti O's, Ravioli, Frozen Burritos, Frozen Pizza, and canned soups. We usually try one of a new product and see if we like them. If we like them, we buy more. I don't tend to buy the name brands of these products it was only since shopping at Aldi that I needed to accomodate a teenager's palate.

I noticed the prices went up, but I have noticed that EVERYWHERE. I appreciate Aldi prices when I go else where and see their prices. Sometimes the grocery store is even 2X the price I get at Aldi. I recently got a membership for Sam's Club and was surprised to see that the cost of many items bulk was more than buying them at Aldi.

I am sorry some folks have bad experiences. I have almost always had good experiences, when I have had bad experiences the worker has made them right.

Barb C

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

I love our Aldis the prices are cheaper than other stores for the most part. I shop there because I want to not because I have to. The employees are very friendly and the store is always clean. It also helps us save money so our kids can go to private school that we pay out of pocket for and I see a lot of other parents who do the same. It cost a lot to feed a family these days and Aldis lets us do it for a fraction of the price!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will always choose Aldi over Wal Mart. Their prices are still lower here, not to mention I love being able to complete a big shop in less than half an hour! With 2 kids, that's invaluable.

Not to mention our closest WM is not a Super, so there's limited grocery selection.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by PoorRichardsGirl View Post
    This is not the first time I've come across the Aldi food = junk argument. It's just not true. Good grief, they carry nonfat/lowfat milk, cottage cheese and yogurt. They have real maple syrup, brown rice and soy milk. Whole wheat bread, whole wheat crackers, oatmeal, shredded wheat, fresh produce at good prices, plenty of frozen and canned vegetables and fruits. If someone goes in there and buys nothing but cheap soda and corn chips, it's not Aldi's fault.
    I agree. I shop there mostly for the dairy items, as they are priced less than the regular grocery stores. I also love the fact that it is smaller, so less time spent shopping and less impulse buying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123