@ Aldi You DIY & Pay Equal Prices to Walmart
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default @ Aldi You DIY & Pay Equal Prices to Walmart

I went to Aldi today to get a few things. I discovered they had raised the price on dry milk again! 3 or 4 months ago it was $8.99 then they raised it to $9.99 and now they've raised it to $12.99 which is only $0.66 cents less then Wal-mart (Wal-mart has it for $13.65). Aldi's regular gallon of skim milk is $3.59, which Wal-mart has for the same price.

The frozen vegetables like frozen corn, medley blend, and stir fry is the same price of around $0.99. The bread at Wal-Mart is $1.17 per loaf for the cheap generic, Aldi's is $0.89. I however expect Aldi to raise the bread price soon.

The prices at Aldi are ridiculous. Aldi use to be the cheapest place in town but now they aren't. They aren't even that competitive in their prices anymore. When I have to bring my own bags, sack my own groceries, and rent a cart, and pay prices equal to those at Wal-Mart, where am I going to do my grocery shopping? It's a matter of principal, I don't like to be ripped off. I feel like I'm getting the shaft when I goto Aldi anymore.

What really sucks is I like the people who work there. Hopefully Aldi will get the hint when they start losing customers. There's a lot of people who will continue to go there but I won't be one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Prices seem to be going up everywhere. I've noticed that Aldi prices fluctuate quite a bit. What's $1.59 this month could easily be .99 next month. Even with rising prices I would STILL shop at Aldi on principal because, who suffers if you take your business to Walmart? Not only the Aldi employees(who, around here, start at $11.50 an hour) but also the Walmart employees, who watch Walmart execs get the financial benefit of squeezing out the competition while labor's stuck working for $7 hour. I LIKE bringing my own bags because I sewed them myself, I LIKE putting a quarter deposit in the cart because they're always up in front of the store neat and tidy and not blowing around the parking lot and I'd rather see a cashier make 11.50 an hour and bag my own groceries than to see 40 year old women humiliated into bagging my stuff at Walmart for $7 an hour(I know this because they wanted to hire me and I wouldn't take such low pay). Ok, I'm done ranting. (And TOTALLY not ranting at you. Walmart's hiring practices make me sooooo mad!)Just thought I'd put a different perspective out there.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am with nuisance. I will do the extra work than give Walmart my hard earned $$$. Plus less chance of IMPULSE buys at Aldi's. I only shop walmart if I can get it for free or pennies otherwise they are not getting my $$$.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too was at Aldi today and noticed the price of powdered milk! In all fairness, a lot of other items prices have not gone up. For instance, jars of applesauce .89, chips .99, cashew halves 2.29, cheddar crackers .99 to name a few items I buy on a regular basis. Bread and dairy price are going to fluctuate with the market. Aldi and all other grocery stores have a right to make a profit. Check out this thread that was posted earlier this month about the prices of powdered milk. https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...light=powdered

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just say that I am surprised that an Aldis employee makes so much!

I plan to shop there on Friday so hopefully I will find some good deals!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've noticed Aldi price going up. Sometimes, I can get things cheaper at the regular grocery store on sale. I still by most of my can goods at aldi.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh & I actually went to Aldi today for the first time in months. I didn't used to shop there because they only take cash or debit...we only recently got a debit card and I never carry cash.

Milk was $3.08 for a gallon of skim. It's $2.89 at the commissary... and I know I use more than 20c worth of gas driving all the way out there lol. But I did notice the staples, stuff I used to shop Aldi for all the time...flour, cooking oil, sugar, etc. They are all the same or more than I pay at the commissary.

I know I can get chicken quarters cheaper at Aldi (59c/lb) than I can anywhere else. Canned veggies/potatoes...even the commissary can't beat 39c/can. There are a few things I wouldn't buy there, like Dog food. Their produce section has gotten A LOT better than it used to be. They have a lot more variety in some things than they used to.

I do not shop at Walmart, so I don't know how their prices compare. I don't like them, I don't like their business practices, I don't like how they treat their employees, the staff is usually unhelpful/untrained, and the regular WM (not so much the new super WMs) are dark, overcrowded with displays, and not a very pleasant experience for the shopper.

Nope. I'll bring my bags & my quarter and shop at Aldi over Walmart any day of the week

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Honestly the prices are up everywhere, but Aldis IS still the best deal. Milk is up and will continue to go up, regular and powdered, it's a combination of the rise in feed prices (ethanol corn contracts put the price WAY UP THERE), higher fuel prices AND the fact that China is becoming much more of a consumer of dairy, a lot of our whey products are being shipped there (along with a LARGE amount of hay which they're willing to pay to package and ship overseas, which is DEVASTATING the livestock producers and owners).

I won't shop at Walmart for different reasons that others (you're in AMERICA, read the signs in ENGLISH!)

And at our Aldis I always find someone coming out with a cart and give them my quarter for it just to have the positive human contact and tell them to have a nice day

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will always get produce cheaper at Aldi's, like green peppers and potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, fruit, etc and they just started getting black beans for 39c a can! Can't beat their prices around here except for when I go get bread at the day old bread store.

I'm glad I have many more choices than walmart but even if they were the only store nearby I wouldn't shop there. Ours hired illegals to work at night and got a write-up in the newspaper because they were caught.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aldi is still the cheapest here. I buy their milk, eggs, butter, canned goods, cottage cheese, regular block cheese if I need to, (I still rather have Cabot) baking supplies, kitty litter, trash bags all kinds of things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One more thing Aldi is only 1 mile away from my house. It is also very clean compared to a discount food outlet that we have across town. I don't care how cheap they are dirty is just not right in a food store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Walmart stock

Now i know why my walmart stock has never moved for the 6 years i have owned it. As a matter of fact last week it was lower. But seems to have recovered a little thank god some of you are still shopping there. I dont really know much about how much walmart pays employees. I know most seem very courteious and seem happy to be at work. I would think the lady you described humilated by being 40 and working at the cashier. why dont she move to ALDI. They dont have a contract on her. Some of them must enjoy the 7 bucks a hour or at least the job. I have thought about a job as a greeter at walmart but never went ahead with it. I also dont have much experience with ALDI. I am going to look at directions on how far out of my way the store is , since i know on a trip to birmingham in next week or so i will go past the street it is on. Someone mentioned FRozen salmon steaks. that might be a great find for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shopped at Aldi for awhile when I thought we were too poor to afford better, but I decided I'll never be that poor. I put up with the junk food, processed meat, dented cans, and produce just sitting out on a table and a less than clean store -- because I thought we were too poor to afford better.

Then my husband had a stroke. I was told I couldn't leave him at home alone, but I needed to go to the store. So I took him with me. He was standing at the end of the checkout stand with the cart. The checker was throwing cans down the conveyer belt and they were missing the cart and hitting my husband. He became upset and the checker said it was his fault for not having the cart in the right place. She then told me to take my husband and leave or she would call the police. I'm not sure why -- he wasn't doing anything wrong. She was the one throwing cans at a man who had just come home from the hospital. I demanded to speak to the manager -- she said she was the manager. She had been the only person in the store every time I had gone in. My concern was for my husband so we just left. I wrote a letter to corporate -- no response.

So I have never darkened the door of Aldi since. I will never be that poor and I feel sorry for people who feel that because they are poor they have no other choice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow what an awful experience! I have been lucky that my Aldi has friendly employees. I don't shop there because I'm poor, I shop there so I don't become poor. The money I save from not shopping at Kroger or Biggs has really added up. Granted the prices on some things did go up but many of the other items are still very cheap. When I did grocery shopping at Kroger it would cost me $200. At Aldi I have never spent more that $90.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by genieb View Post
    I shopped at Aldi for awhile when I thought we were too poor to afford better, but I decided I'll never be that poor. I put up with the junk food, processed meat, dented cans, and produce just sitting out on a table and a less than clean store -- because I thought we were too poor to afford better.

Then my husband had a stroke. I was told I couldn't leave him at home alone, but I needed to go to the store. So I took him with me. He was standing at the end of the checkout stand with the cart. The checker was throwing cans down the conveyer belt and they were missing the cart and hitting my husband. He became upset and the checker said it was his fault for not having the cart in the right place. She then told me to take my husband and leave or she would call the police. I'm not sure why -- he wasn't doing anything wrong. She was the one throwing cans at a man who had just come home from the hospital. I demanded to speak to the manager -- she said she was the manager. She had been the only person in the store every time I had gone in. My concern was for my husband so we just left. I wrote a letter to corporate -- no response.

So I have never darkened the door of Aldi since. I will never be that poor and I feel sorry for people who feel that because they are poor they have no other choice.
    Wow, I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience. It sounds like a personnel issue more than an Aldi one. I used to avoid Aldi too, but ours recently got a major overhaul. Now it's clean, neat, and well-lit. They also have a greater variety of products to offer.

So no need to feel sorry for anyone here. I don't shop there because I have no other choice. It's just one of many stops in my quest to get more for less

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast