Is it worth $50 to join Costco? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The quality of Costco's stuff is top notch. It's like having loss leader prices anytime you want. I go about twice a month, and I've learned to stick to my shopping list! I also buy non-food stuff there when needed, and end up getting a better quality item for the price of an average item. Some examples of what I've bought there: towels, sheets (a higher thread count than I could normally afford), shrubs, patio furniture, appliances. I saved a BUNDLE on tires.

Also, they don't take credit cards, so there is no temptation to overspend.

Me & a friend share the more expensive membership, and if we spend a certain amount there we don't have any fee because we get a rebate (we manage to spend enough every year between 2 families). We are grandfathered in to sharing a membership, but I've heard that now everyone on one membership must share the same address.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dolores,
    Yes, they accept coupons. They also send out coupon booklets every month to members for both name brand merchandise AND their own generic brand (Kirkland brand) items.

To the OP, I know I mentioned this before, but thought I'd say it again. Costco *can* save you money *if* you shop wisely. There are some things that I've found that seem too expensive to me.
    But there are alot of other items that can save you considerably.

I personally don't shop at Wal-mart or Sam's club, but Costco is another great alternative for me to be able to buy things in bulk-paper products, cleaning products, dog food, dog beds, etc.
    I also have a BJ's membership card and we can't beat their gas prices plus it's about 5 minutes from our house, which makes it super convenient for us.

I also think you have to take into consideration alot of things:
    Do you have to travel a super long way to even get to your local Costco?
    Do you have the space to store alot of things in bulk?
    Do you mind shopping at warehouse type stores?
    Can you stick to a list and only buy what you need? (I think this one is a biggie, 'cause in any type of warehouse type store (or any type of store for that matter) you can easily overspend without going with a list.

After all of this, I would suggest, if you can, to go along with a friend a few times. Check prices and products and *then* decide if it would be worth your money to invest in a membership.

Good luck!
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We definitely think so. We have certain items
    like meat that we specifically like to get from
    Costco. We love their Kirkland brand also.
    The Gala apples are the best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have a membership. We got the executive membership which costs more initially, ($100) but we get 2.5% back on it. So every January we get a coupon for over $200. So it works out that i get my membership free and am paid to shop there.

It's like any other store, some prices are better some the same and some more.

On milk alone I save $.70 per gallon. Detergent, I save a HUGE amount. I love the Ecos, $15 per 210 use for HE. Compared to $25/96 use of tide, or 5.99/32 use Purex. It's a great deal.

I haven't checked the dog food. But i'm going too! That would save me $30/bag if my mutt can tolerate it. Money back guarentee so if she can't I've lost nothing. Next month.

Meat there is great! We love their frozen chickent breasts, savings of $8/ 4kg box. Any cut, all kinds.

Printer ink was a tremendous savings. $72 for 4 HP cartridges, walmart best price I've seen was $42 for 1.

Books, I picked up a cookbook I wanted for $15, book stores was $32. I dont' buy books often, but gifts and things, I do, savings of $5/book on average.

I found a camera I'm saving for, Costco was $359 Future Shop was $549.

Not everything is a deal. They sell Dell computers for $200+ MORE than dell does. DIfference is you can seet hem I guess.

Mattresses are great prices, we're in teh market for next year. Dh will have to hang tough until I deal with some cards here. Then we'll look into another big purchase.

Dh likes the low alcohol beer(0.5%), the brand he likes is $7.99/doz in the grocery. Best price was Walmart at $5.99/doz. Costco has it $11.99/30 cans.

You can get a day pass. You can go with a friend. Check it out to see if there's stuff you'll want to get or not.

I got my girls a huge stamp set, quality stamps $20. Michaels had a set, much smaller for $40. So it depends. Lots of great finds for Christmas. Last year we got dd the huge Dora Castle for $60, TRU was $139.

Bad side, is when these things are gone, they are gone..lol. So make up your mind fast..lol for gift items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i think your best bet is to go there on a "free" (nonmember) day, check and see what they've got & if you'd buy there regularly AND if you'd save money.

we don't have a costco here, but the wholesale club we do have, we save OVER the cost of membership each year there.

so it's really worth it for us.

it just depends on your needs really.

i'd recommend it, but we buy lots of necessities there and some things we can't get elsewhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you happen to need tires this year, it's worth it. They have great tire service at my Costco.
    I also agree with the Kirkland brand. It is top notch. I have never found a better can of tuna than Kirkland brand.
    I just went over the weekend and stocked up on tp. I'm hoping it's better than the deals I get at the grocery store. It always seems to last longer than a "normal" roll.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are only a few things I regularly buy at Costco (we don't pay for our membership), so it's a tossup whether it's worth it for me. You really have to know your prices--lots of things are cheaper at Winco. Too many people assume that it's a good deal just because it's Costco . . . and don't even get me started on all the silly stuff I see people loading in their carts there!

The quality is generally good, prices OK, but it can be a pretty tempting store and an easy place to waste money. All in all, if I had to pay for my own membership I don't think I would.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I work for BJ's so I may be a little biased.

I used to have a membership to Costco and I really like their store, but our store didn't sell gas and they didn't take coupons. So I didn't really end up going there enough to get my moneys worth. The quality of their products and their store brand is excellent, though.

BJ's (if you have one near you) has been great for me too. The selection is smaller, but you can also buy smaller packaged products. Also you can use multiple coupons. The membership is currently $45 a year, but you can still shop there without being a member, you just have to pay a 15% surcharge.

I hope this helps

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't been in a Costco lately, but I really had to double check the prices,and compare them to Winco. I could usually, especially on canned food, get a better deal at Winco. Some other things like pharmacy OTC items are good in price. I also like some of the bakery items. Just check and double check your prices, to make sure you are getting the BEST deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unfortunately I have a Sam's membership. My dad wanted chairs that only Sam's sold. The savings on the chairs alone made up for the membership on its first purchase. I am doing a lil study - I am seeing how much I spend in a year and how much I truly do save. I renewed the membership and so far have saved $15 from one purchase. Thats only $35 more to go and its only early February.

On the flipside, my boss has a membership at Costco and the meat and produce is MUCH better there then Sam's. Also its more crowded but I find the products to be better priced and quality - both name and store brands. I have gone with my boss twice since November - once for Christmas gifts and once for vitamins. I think I've saved more at Costco simply b/c they offer what "I" need/use/want.

As others have said - take the freebie one day non member pass and take a tour. I know when I tried to do that here, when it came time to actually BUY anything you had to BUY a membership before being able to buy anything so be sure to look into that BEFORE you go in.

I prefer Costco over Sam's. I think the memberships are interchangeable between Canada and USA. I know the Sam's in the US is better then here in Canada.

Registered User Iwant2BDebtfree's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I may be partial to warehouse type clubs, since I am a manager with BJ's but I think for the most part it is a good value to get the membership. I am unsure of Costco since I obviously don't shop there, but with BJ's we accept our own coupons stacked with manufacturer coupons--and if you get REALLY lucky the item has an instant rebate (I take high advantage of those deals).

I agree with other posters here....See if you can go in and take a look around...then make note of prices and come home and compare. You need to be a savvy shopper to get the good deals, but there are MANY to be had at the warehouse clubs.

Registered User Iwant2BDebtfree's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by erinny1983 View Post
    I work for BJ's so I may be a little biased.

I used to have a membership to Costco and I really like their store, but our store didn't sell gas and they didn't take coupons. So I didn't really end up going there enough to get my moneys worth. The quality of their products and their store brand is excellent, though.

BJ's (if you have one near you) has been great for me too. The selection is smaller, but you can also buy smaller packaged products. Also you can use multiple coupons. The membership is currently $45 a year, but you can still shop there without being a member, you just have to pay a 15% surcharge.

I hope this helps
    Hello fellow BJ's employee!!! I am the CSM manager at my club and have been there for almost 5 years (since we opened here). Unfortunately I am about to make the dreaded sick call into an overnight manager tonight...I really enjoy my job, but there is no way to function the way I am feeling

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a membership to SAMS club and it is great!! I always purchase my flour, sugar, spices in large quantities. Also they have the meats, (sandwich ham, bacon, kielbasa and such) in larger quantities. Not to mention I get the large bags of onions, potatoes, carrots and fruit when they look good. I think for our family it is well worth it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default yes worth it for me

I feel its worth it just for dog food and paper products ( tiolet paper, paper towels)... you can also have 2 people on a membership and may consider spiltting the membership with a neighbor or friend.

The negative issue about this is storage as buying in bulk means storing things and if you don't store them right ( they get wet or damaged) or the stock is invading your living space and overtaking it.. it may not be for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I actually just went with a friend to see if it would save me money. I didn't buy anything, I just took my price book and looked at everything. We went to both Costco & Sam's Club. We found that Sam's Club here had the better deals. However, the closest of either is about 45 miles away, so we can't shop there weekly.

But I calculated everything and found that if I shop there 4 times a year, and just buy my basics, like flour, sugar, coffee, creamer, etc. I will save over $400 there (that is the cost savings after paying for the membership, too). Plus, I talked to a couple of other neighbors and 4 of us are going to all go up together. We all have vans or trucks, so we will each only have to drive once, therefore saving the gas. So for us, it will be worth it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast