Does anyone else find that couponing is tougher than it used to be? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebush3 View Post
    . After I realized this I told her I couldn't honor the coupons for items she hadn't purchased and she lit into me about how she didn't have to buy THOSE items, someone else already had and had not used coupons. .

That is the funniest coupon story I have heard in a long time.

I still use a ton of coupons every single time I shop. There are stores that double (just not in my area) and there are stores that take internet coupons ( I can use them at all the stores in my area ).
    And some stores even let you combined coupons like Target and Walgreens.
    I admit it is a lot of work and the last couple of months the deals have been strinking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shellyrporter View Post
    I coupon like a mad woman. When I first started seriously about 2.5 years ago my store would double up to $1. Now they have changed it and only double to .50 and that is for 2-like coupons only. BUT I shop the stockpile method. I am usually so well stocked on groceries that I only buy what is super cheap with coupons and since I pass that grocery store every day on my way to work I will run in a couple of times a week. I usually get 4 sets of coupons. I buy 2 papers, my mother gives my hers and a guy at work gives me his. So I am still doing pretty good with coupons. My budget for groceries and HBA is $50 per week and I am about to cut that down to $35 per week due to my son having some medical issues and I think co-pays are gonna kill me.
    Are you by chance a grocery gamer? I am and I can't imagine doing it anyother way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I find fewer and fewer coupons for the things I buy. I probably wouldn't bother at all, but I have a deal with the director at the library. I have to work all the Sunday shifts (the only full time staff member here) so she said I could have the coupons from the library's two papers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did have a pretty good coupon day today--I just did my monthly-or-so Wal-Mart stockup (mostly personal care and cleaning/laundry/paper products) and was able to use $6 in coupons without buying anything I wouldn't have bought anyway. *\o/*

That's my thing with most coupons: they tend to be for overpriced convenience items I don't normally buy, so using them doesn't actually save money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

she didn't have to buy THOSE items, someone else already had and had not used coupons.
    When I was a cashier I had a lady and her husband come through and the lady did the same thing. Even the husband tried to explain to her that she couldn't do it, and she flipped on him. Some people's children....lol

I Used to cut coupons for my gramma when I was a kid, she always got good deals, but when I try it, they're not worth it. Like those new frozen crockpot things. I found a $4.00 coupon for them, but they cost almost $10. I wouldn't buy it anyway because its way cheaper to just cut everything up yourself. It's always convenience food. I usually only use coupons (if and when I can find them) on toiletries, shampoo, deoderant etc. That's where I see the most savings with them, but that is hardly ever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my area, there is one grocery chain and one Super Wal-mart. I hate using coupons at Wal-mart because of the hassle the cashiers always give. I usually only use them at the grocery store, but don't use as many as I used to because I have noticed most coupons aren't for what we use, I can buy generic cheaper, and you have to buy 2 items to use the coupon which doesn't make it a very good deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My gripes with couponing is that the expiration dates aren't long enough. also iin my area of the country we don't get the coupons the rest of the country gets. I get all excited when I see the preview at Taylortown and disappointed when I open the paper and the coupons aren't there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by rachelMcK View Post

I found a $4.00 coupon for them, but they cost almost $10. I wouldn't buy it anyway because its way cheaper to just cut everything up yourself. .

Correct 6 bucks is still too much. But if you hold on the coupon until the item is buy1 get1 sale and you got your hands on two of the coupons then it would only be 1 dollar each. A bucks isn't too much. Thats how I buy 90% of my groceries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just starting to get back into couponing. We have a super Wal-Mart here and one small local store who's prices are much higher than the Wal-Mart. So I don't have much choice. I have noticed that the Wal-mart store brands aren't that much lower than the brand name on many items. So will start using the brand coupons when I can.

My problem is most of the coupons I find are for items I don't buy. Processed foods, swiffer mops, glade candles etc... I'm concentrating on finding coupons for health products like our vitamins, tylenol and such. I've only been saving a couple of dollars on each trip but it adds up over time so will keep trying.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember the days when we used to come home with bags of free groceries.
    Expiration dates are too short, and despite food prices going through the roof I find that the coupons are worth less than they used to be. Our lifestyle has also changed we now eat less prepared foods and more fresh food. For instance I used to buy juice on a weekly basis I now buy more fresh fruit.
    There was a time when I had coupons for all kinds of free items for example I remember always having rice a roni, I would get it free with a coupon so we ate a lot of rice a roni.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All but one grocery store doubles to .50 where I live. I am very well-stocked (read huge stockpiles of everything) so I only shop for two or three things weekly combining sales with doubled coupons. Otherwise, I only have to pick up milk, bread and eggs. I have coupons that will double on the eggs and I buy bread at the bread thrift store, fresh not stale. Milk I usually have to pay full price and it's not cheap.

I guess because I only have to shop for sales now, I haven't noticed much change in finding good deals. What I have noticed is a decrease in good refund offers. The best refunds are at Publix, buy $15 in certain products and get a $10 gift card. I have a hard time finding good manufacturers' refund offers and I love doing them because it can mean a free plus extra grocery month for me when I do.

Kathy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ann K

YES!!!! I am a grocery gamer. It has truly been a blessing!!! I went from not knowing how I was going to buy enough to eat to last the week to not knowing how I was going to find one other spot in my house to store something. I have been doing it for about 3 years and it is truly a lifesaver!!!!!!

Michelle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to be a gamer too! I wouldn't get anytihing from the store unless it was free or close to it and it would be lots and lots of the same item. I would come home with 20 boxes of waffles, 30 packages of tp, peanut butter, etc...and not have paid a thing at the store. Now the deals are hard to come by and the coupons are not nearly as good. I am getting back into cpning again though after taking about a 2 year break so I'll just have to look harder..................

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Christa View Post
    When they still had doubles around here it was up to .50, too, but they'd "double" a $1 coupon to 1.50--will yours do that?
    Nope. It stays at a dollar. A 75 cent coupon doubles to a dollar - that's as high as it goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Clipping Coupons Will Become A Thing of the Past

A grad student at the University of MS has developed at way for customers to scan the choice of coupons. He created this because his own mother, a coupon clipper, has arthritis. This should prove to be more timely and provide cost savings. This was recently covered in our local paper. I will attempt to find and send the link to others. It places coupon clipping in the current times......nurseliz
    I am exercising daily.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12