Does anyone else find that couponing is tougher than it used to be?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy Does anyone else find that couponing is tougher than it used to be?

I've been a diehard couponer forever--my mom clipped them and shopped several stores for loss leaders weekly, so in my mind that was the "normal" way to shop--but in the last couple of years there has been less and less of a payoff to it. No stores in my area have double coupons any more, and even the loss leaders are less of a "deal" than they used to be. I can't imagine giving up totally on coupons, but lately I'm questioning whether my big old coupon file is worth the space it takes up in my purse.

Anyone else relate?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm not ready to give it up either, it's kinda a part of my identity. BUT the the deals are not what they once were, that's for sure. Cereal c/os used to be 1.00 for one box, now they always seem to be for 2 boxes.....it;s things like this that make it less profitable than it once was........well, that and the insanely high grocery prices!
    *sigh*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The deals aren't nearly as good in many parts of the country. My stores double coupons up to 50 cents. So, instead of putting out coupons for 50 cents off of one thing, the companies put out coupons for $1 off of two. No doubling for me

It's rare to find a good coupon deal that combines with a sale around here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

see, where i live, unless you get the weekly paper, you don't get coupons.
    the ones that come in the mail (like the ValPak) are for services (ok, so those can be helpful). But no restaurant coupons, no shopping/grocery coupons. And most of the places around here won't take the printable kind either.
    Oh & there was some complaining a few yrs ago about the loss leader section at the store i used to go to, so they got rid of that.

otherwise, the main grocer i go to has good prices on most anything and always has good weekly specials on produce - so i buy what is on special there and work my weekly cooking around that.

so for the most part, it just isnt around here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amykhar View Post
    The deals aren't nearly as good in many parts of the country. My stores double coupons up to 50 cents. So, instead of putting out coupons for 50 cents off of one thing, the companies put out coupons for $1 off of two. No doubling for me

I have the same problem. What I have noticed though, with rising prices, the store brand prices have gone up higher at my grocery store than the name brand. I'm noticing at times where the store brand is more expensive than the name brand. If this trend continues, I will clip more coupons and apply them to the name brand items and save more than I would buying the store brand. Just an idea, that's what seems to be happening here. All grocery prices seem to be higher though

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by amykhar View Post

When they still had doubles around here it was up to .50, too, but they'd "double" a $1 coupon to 1.50--will yours do that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by perSue View Post
    otherwise, the main grocer i go to has good prices on most anything and always has good weekly specials on produce - so i buy what is on special there and work my weekly cooking around that.

so for the most part, it just isnt around here!
    That's mostly what I do these days, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only store that would double coupons (up to 50 cents) closed several months ago. The drive time to the closest double-coupon store doesn't make it worth my while as gas costs would exceed any savings.

I still use some coupons if I can match them to a good sale, but it's nothing like it used to be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to cut coupons for my mom when I was living with my dad. But that was when the days that stores would double coupons up to and including $1.00. But to me personally that there is no coupons that I would use. Or that you have to buy so many before the coupon will work. Here I don't think that stores even double coupons anymore. I know when I worked at one that they would double up to including .50 cents. But I don't know if they are still even doing that. The stores around here won't even take the printable coupons eaither. One of my fellow co-workers will purchase 2 Sunday papers. He said that he may spend about $3.00 on both. But the savings in the end out weight what he spends on the papers.He saids that he and his girlefriend save atleast $10 if not more on the coupons they clip. To I guess that to some people that cliping coupons are worth it. But not to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only started couponing about 8 months ago, so I can't really compare. I did notice that I had to spend more and more time to get any decent deals, it probably would have been much more profitable for me to find a pt job with all the time I was spending! I've decided to take a break this month, and I'm sure I'll go back to it on a smaller scale, but without the burn out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are 3 grocery stores in town... all the same chain *sigh*

They don't double, won't take printed, don't have store coupons, look at you as if you have a second head if you hand them coupons.

The other stores (in other towns) are more expensive, don't double or take printed either.

I don't understand why they won't take ones off the printer, they are from the manufacturers themselves!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm just starting to get into couponing, been reading a lot about it. If I even save a few dollars, I will be happy, its is a few dollars I wouldn't have had otherwise.
    Many years ago I worked in a supermarket as a cashier, one day a woman comes through with her grocieries, I ring her up. She hands me a very large envelope of coupons, I open it and start entering.. very soon I realize this woman hadn't bought the items she had coupons for, just brought in a set $ worth of coupons and figured she would pay for her whole purchase that way. It was a very large envelope. After I realized this I told her I couldn't honor the coupons for items she hadn't purchased and she lit into me about how she didn't have to buy THOSE items, someone else already had and had not used coupons. I ended up having to call the manager over, she was sooo mad. She left without her groceries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebush3 View Post
    she didn't have to buy THOSE items, someone else already had and had not used coupons.
    Okay, I had to read that twice. The first time I thought I had read it wrong.

You've gotta admit, that's pretty darn funny . . . even if she was a little

Julie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can barely use coupons anymore, it seems like all of them are for things I don't buy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I coupon like a mad woman. When I first started seriously about 2.5 years ago my store would double up to $1. Now they have changed it and only double to .50 and that is for 2-like coupons only. BUT I shop the stockpile method. I am usually so well stocked on groceries that I only buy what is super cheap with coupons and since I pass that grocery store every day on my way to work I will run in a couple of times a week. I usually get 4 sets of coupons. I buy 2 papers, my mother gives my hers and a guy at work gives me his. So I am still doing pretty good with coupons. My budget for groceries and HBA is $50 per week and I am about to cut that down to $35 per week due to my son having some medical issues and I think co-pays are gonna kill me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast