Curious about Aldi's.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Curious about Aldi's.

I've read a lot of places on here where some of you say you shop at Aldis for great deals. I don't have one anywhere near me but last time I was at my parents I asked my mom if she had ever been to the one in the next town from them. She said she had and didn't care for it. She said a lot of the food was stale and that although there were a few bargains they were not much cheaper than the local Save-A-Lot store. She had also discussed it with her sil who had shopped there too and they quit because of the same reasons.

I'm just curious about you all that shop there's take on this and about your experiences at the one's you shop at.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love Aldis. Yes, there is an item or two that my family has turned their noses at (mayo and ketchup) But it's great for dairy, canned, frozen, basically all the basics. Give it a try and see for yourself!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We buy the majority of our groceries at aldies... we only go once a month even though it is in town. We get our sides ( aka noodles to make sides or speggetti, rice a roni type, Lipton noodle type, Scalloped potatoes, instant potatoes, ect) and canned goods from aldies religiously.

For here i don't know about else where it is :

$1.29 for 1lb elbow mac
    $1.29 for 1lb thin Speggetti
    $0.99 for speggetti sauce
    $0.33 for Mac & cheese
    $0.79 for Lipton Noodles
    $0.59 for Rice a Roni
    $0.99 for 2 pouch flavored instant potatoes
    $1.29 for a large box of instant potatoes
    $0.89 Scallopped potatoes
    $1.89 for sugar
    $1.59 for flour ( flour here is cheaper at walmart)
    $0.99 sour cream
    $2.49 cottage cheese
    $1.19 Large can pears
    $1.09 Large can peaches
    $1.89 3 bell peppers
    $0.99 Carrots ( 1 lb )
    $1.29 Celery ( stalk )
    $0.19 lb bananas
    $0.39 canned corn
    $0.39 canned green beans
    $0.39 canned potatoes
    $0.39 canned creamed corn
    $0.39 canned peas
    $0.49 canned tender early peas
    $0.49 canned French Style Green Beans
    $0.49 canned Tomatoe Sauce
    $0.49 canned Diced Tomatoe
    $0.99 Chocolate Chips

Sorry thats as many as i can remember off the top of my head... i do not however buy milk at aldies i have had bad experiences with the milk atleast at our aldies. I get eggs at the salvage store or mexican grocery where they get farm fresh brown eggs for $1.79.

I haven't ever gotten anything that was stale.. the stock at our aldies moves to fast for that to happen. The parking lot is always rotating with people in and out of the store. Lines are usually 4-5 people deep, but usually move fairly quickly.

Be prepared though take either fabric grocery totes or plastic bags from other grocery stores in with you. Since they do not bag groceries there.

It is definately worth taking $20 from your grocery budget and checking out the store as well as buying one of each item you normally would use. You can try them and see if they met your standards. If you do not like any thing then don't go again, if it is to your standards then you can start getting basic items from aldies and saving most likely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am with your mom. Been there, done that won't ever step inside the door again. I had a really bad experience there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm with QTKitty - I buy the bulk of my groceries at Aldi's with the exception of meat, fruits & veggies. I can get a better deal shopping the sales on meat. I buy my fruits & veggies at the local stand. Milk I buy organic.

I've never had any problems at our store. It's almost always packed - as is the other 3 Aldi's within 5 miles of me. They have a return policy, if you're not happy with something you can take it back.

The stores are always clean and bright. I can't say that for some of the other low cost grocery stores I've been in.

I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have Aldi!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Baking supplies = great prices, we like their Corn Flakes and Rasin Bran cereals, but none of the others. Right now with Easter coming up, spiral hams are a great price and VERY good. Same with canned veggies, about 33¢ a can all the time and just fine IMO. I've not had a bad experience with bad dairy at all, my Aldi's has a big turn over and prices are much better than the local groceries, especially the hard cheeses. Produce is another story, bananas are very good priced and nice but watch the other things. Good if you can use them right up. Bagels and english muffins are good too and way below grocery store prices. Their bread is okay but tends to go stale fast, then again it is only DH and I.

Like the last poster said, take $20 and try some things, if you don't like them, don't go back.

BTW, our Save a Lot store, is one of the most dirtiest stores I have EVER been in, so Aldi's it is for me. Just my 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love my Aldi's. Clean, bright and the food is great.

Frankly some of their in-house brand foods are as good or better than a lot of name-brand items. Their Spaghetti sauce is amazing. I try one or two new things each time I go. Their cereals are too sweet for me, but probably kids would like them.

The dairy at my Aldis is great. Have to be careful with produce, some of it is edge, but I've been buying celery and green peppers there for a while and they've been fine.

Sav-A-Lot here is nasty, I won't go there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go almost half and half at Aldi's.
    I buy thier crackers, fruit, pudding, applesauce cups, cereal, string cheese and basic bread. We have 4 eating sandwiches daily in our house, so our bread usually goes fast. I can often find good deals. FOr example, last night I was in there with DD and DS and we bought white bread for 45 cents a loaf. It was marked down because the expiration date is March 11th. I was surprised because that was still days away. We bought a few loaves and I froze them. I agree with the above. I would check it out and see.
    I have also bought their handwashing soap pumps in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't used to like our Aldi. It was nasty dirty, always crowded, took FOREVER and a day to get through the (one) checkout lane.

They remodeled and changed some of their operations. It's a much much MUCH cleaner store, way easier to get in & out of, etc.

I don't do the bulk of my shopping there but I do get a lot of produced and some canned goods. Some of the things I get there are:

lite ranch
    pretzel sticks
    cheese puffs
    romaine lettuce
    cottage cheese
    baby carrots
    potatoes
    bananas
    oranges
    apples
    grapes
    fresh broccoli
    spaghettio's w/ meatballs
    ice cream
    disposable plates
    canola oil
    sugar
    flour
    baking supplies

I don't like their shredded cheeses, they melt funny. Their garlic caesar tastes fishy. The frozen chubs of ground beef squick me out and someone on here warned about the canned tuna, I've never tried it though lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh and sometimes they have name brand stuff cheaper than regular stores. Like Tide or Kellogg's brand stuff.

Registered User XplatinumXpixeyX's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love Aldi's but I only go there for some stuff. The one time I did my whole shopping order there we didn't get as much as I thought we would and it was almost $80. I have been able to get more at Wal-mart for that much. So now I just go there for some stuff. There fresh produce is cheap there. And canned veggies are the best price from there. Everything else I shop at my local grocery store and shop by sales and use coupons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just got a new one here in Lexington....I went a couple of weeks ago and HATED it!!! I don't want to bag my own stuff and really the prices are not cheaper than SAL. I will just stick to my local kroger/meijer and get all my canned foods from save a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the Aldi in my area. I buy baking goods, oatmeal, noodles, canned pumpkin when they have it, canned veggies, ice cream, frozen OJ, sometimes I will find a better deal on a name brand item there. I wonder if they take manufacturer's coupons for those name brand items?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Marie78 View Post
    I wonder if they take manufacturer's coupons for those name brand items?
    Unfortunately, they do not. Probably because they are considered a "discount store".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy so much there. My kids don't like the name brand cheerios or ketchup, they only like Aldi. I buy baking supplies, crackers, pastas, sauces, dairy, sandwich meat,soups, fozen items and meat. Th only thing I really NEED to supplement is the fresh produce. Ours sells out so quickly that if you're not there on delivery day all that's left are some carrots and potatoes (which I buy, lol). I have only been to Sav-A-Lot once in a neighboring town and it was grungy and dirty and not as cheap. I think maybe it's a real individual thing depending on manager maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast