Walmart observation...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Walmart observation...

First off, my DH works at Walmart and I do like them as much as any other large corporation. They have been good to us. I know that some people here don't like Walmart....but this is just an observation not a rant against Walmart.
    Yesterday I was doing my monthly stock up on non-groceries items. Usually I buy alot of Great Value items (Walmart brand). But looking at the prices I realized that their prices had gone up a lot. It was acutally cheaper to buy brand name yesterday. Great Value cheese had acutally gone from $2.50 per pound to $3.68.
    Just wanted to share my observation. I am sure all the big corporate stores will try and pull the same thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I shop at a grocery store chain that is mostly in the northeast and some of their store brand items are sometimes as much as the name brand now. When I notice this I look through my coupon book for a coupon for a similar name brand item and try to get the item for as cheap as I can by using a coupon.

I'm quite disheartened that so many name brands are now cheaper than most store brand items if you have a coupon. On the other hand, I haven't used name brand items in years and I feel kind of excited about finding Quilted Northern and Angel Soft TP for cheaper than the store brand. I get a kind of thrill out of seeing so many name brand items in my pantry and closets, even though the reason is because prices have climbed to the point that we are hardly saving much at the grocery store anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know about walmart but the prices are going up all over with food. If the brand names were cheaper you may have just gotten lucky and shopped on a day before they raised the prices of the brand names.
    I personally like walmart, I live within 5 miles of supercenters in all directions.
    I find the prices on food better than at my local Kroger store. The bad part about walmart is the long check out lines.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like great value big bag`s shredded cheese great value decafe tea.
    when I`m in town I go to walmart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My daughter shops at Walmart and almost everything she bought her last trip had went up anywhere from 20 cents on up. But, it's not just happening at Walmart, it is happening every where. The price of diesel yesterday near me was $4.09 per gallon & this affects the truckers in a big way. The cost has to be passed on somewhere and unfortunately than means it is passed onto us...the consumer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I actually noticed something similar at BJ's. We buy our diapers there, and the generic box was $19.99, and the Huggies brand was $29.99 (same size, same number of diapers per box). About a month and a half ago, the generic box went up to $23.99 - and the Huggies brand stayed the same. I was really kind of surprised, until we went yesterday and I saw that the Huggies was now up to $37.99 for the same box. I guess it just took the "name brand" a little longer than the generic to catch up with the rising prices!