Is it hard to change a tap?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Is it hard to change a tap?

My hot water tap is leaking...I think it may need to be replaced...is it hard to do? Can anyone walk me through it? TIA! Janine

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On what? A faucet, or the water heater itself?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh sorry...on a bathroom facet

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Can you send pic of what it looks like? Is it hot/cold - 2 handles or 1. It might just be a washer in the handle itself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It could be it just needs a new O ring or washer. Talk to someone at the hardware store. See if you can find out what brand it is before you go.

YouTube is a great source for info on doing stuff like that. That way, you can actually see how something is done while someone explains it.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

They're not hard to replace, but depending on the leak, it might just need to be tightened somewhere or (as mentioned) just a new washer.

I replaced all the faucets at the last house, the hardest part was crawling and twisting myself into position under the sink. I watched videos on youtube to see how to do it, and I took photos of the connections with me to Home Depot and got advice from the guy in the plumbing department. I'm sure all stores are different, but that particular one hired all retired tradespeople to work in the various departments, so the guy in plumbing was actually a plumber. He talked me through the entire thing, and picked out the parts and tools that I needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone...it is a 2 tap facet...it is old and rusting at bit on the edge where the counter and tap join. Definately checking out youtube...had no idea they posted this stuff...feeling good about it now lol.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's extremely easy. As someone said check Youtube. You can easily do this.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiasmama View Post
    Thanks everyone...it is a 2 tap facet...it is old and rusting at bit on the edge where the counter and tap join. Definately checking out youtube...had no idea they posted this stuff...feeling good about it now lol.
    Imagine how good you'll feel after you do it

I know this sounds totally lame, but changing a faucet myself was one of the most empowering things I've ever done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Faucets are one of those things where you tend to get what you pay for. The cheap ones aren't as cost effective over time as spending more money to get a good one. It's also of the few times where brand names matter. My personal favorite is Moen. American Standard is also good. But my advice is, if you are planning to live where you are for quite a while yet, go for the more expensive faucet. If you're moving soon, just use a cheapy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I have been spelling faucet wrong and thats embarrassing lol...I'll go to the HW store tomorrow...and take before and after pic's to share...thanks again!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Faucets are one of those things where you tend to get what you pay for. The cheap ones aren't as cost effective over time as spending more money to get a good one. It's also of the few times where brand names matter. My personal favorite is Moen. American Standard is also good. But my advice is, if you are planning to live where you are for quite a while yet, go for the more expensive faucet. If you're moving soon, just use a cheapy.
    Completely agree!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the other posters.........would go for the "O" rings first........

And take the OLD ONE with you to the hardware store.

I also like Moen........won't use any other. Still have some originals in my house and my house is getting up there in age!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sophie.

If you do need a buy a need to buy a new faucet, measure the distance between the handles, if it is a 2 handle faucet. If it has 1 lever, then it is better to remove the faucet, and take it with you to get the replacement.
    Faucets have hot and cold connections which protrude through holes in the sink basin, and their are different spacings.

To remove the faucet, check and locate the service valves for the faucet. MOst are below the sink basin. Hopefully you will find 2, 1/2" valves which can be turned off to isolate the faucet. If these valves are not provided, you will have to turn off the entire household water supply either at the meter, or a service valve that hopefully you can fine.

Get a pair of channelock pliers, and disconnect the 1 1/2" drain pipe and trap. Keep a plastic bowl under the trap because water will dump out when you disconnect this pipe.

Now, get a flashlight and lay on your back, and stick your head up under the sink. You will see 2 fairly large nuts on the 2 connection posts of the faucet. These nuts are what holds the faucet base to the sink basin. You have to disconnect the service lines before these can be removed.

With the water supply shut off, disconnect the hot and cold water service lines, probably 3/8" ferrel nuts. Some water will leak out when you disconnect these lines, but if the water is properly shut off, not much.

Now the fun part, getting the faucet hold down nuts off. I would get a special wrench because it makes it a lot easier. It is called a faucet wrench. This tool helps because it is very hard to get pliers or any other kind of wrench into the area where the faucet hold down nuts are located.

Remove the faucet hold down nuts, and remove the faucet.

Remember that when you install the new faucet, you may need plumbers putty to seal the new faucet to the sink basin. If the new faucet has a rubber gasket that goes between the faucet and sink, you probably dont need putty. If it has a hard plastic piece, then I would use the putty.

Simply roll up a peice of putty about a 1/4" in diameter, and long enough to go all around the base of the new faucet. Stick it between the faucet base and the sink before installing the faucet hold down nuts. This will keep the water from leaking into the cabunet below an entering between the faucet base, and the sink top.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone...Once I do it,going to post a before and after. Was too busy playing outside this past week lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast