Fridge Went Out/Repairman Fixed/DIY Lesson Learned for the Future
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Fridge Went Out/Repairman Fixed/DIY Lesson Learned for the Future

Side by side fridge/freezer was going out. A friend referred me to a great repairman. Called him at 8:15 am Saturday morning, he asked a few questions and said he would be at my house between and 11 & 12. He was there at 10:45 am! He took the cover on the back of the fridge off, unplugged the motherboard, turned it over and you could see the burn mark where one of the little things on the motherboard burned out. He had a new motherboard in his truck, replaced it, and was in and out in less than 20 minutes.

The total price - $270. If we ever have fridge problems in the future we will check the motherboard ourselves. They can be bought locally. And I am sure much cheaper.

I am not complaining! I learned something; so it was worth it.

I didn't lose anything. We took two coolers of frozen food to my brother's house. He has a big freezer. I put as much as possible in our small drink fridge (luckily it was almost empty). I also filled two coolers with food from the fridge, put ice in, and left them closed.

BONUS - I cleaned the freezer while it was empty. I have to go to my brother's today and get my frozen food. I am cleaning the refrigerator shelves two at a time, air drying, putting back and moving on to the next ones.

BONUS #2 - I have the name and phone number of a great repairman for fridge, freezer, washer, dryer, and stove for the future!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In cases like that it is often not the part that costs you money, it is knowing which part needs replacing. And in some cases being willing to spend an afternoon on your back getting absolutely filthy taking it apart to get to it.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

270.00 is sure a lot cheaper than the $$$$$$ that you would spend on a new fridge! Good for you--at least now you know where the problem could be the next time!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The motherboard was on the back of the fridge behind a metal panel that just had screws in it. When he turned the motherboard over it was quite evident that it was the problem!

All you have to do is take the motherboard to a local place that sells fridge parts and they can match it up. The repairman said the motherboard is a VERY common item. He charged me $175 for the motherboard, $70 for coming out and labor, plus tax. So I am sure I could easily have saved $100 or more.

If we wanted to really save some money, hubby said you can buy just the one piece that burned out on the motherboard, replace and resolder. Now that would be going a bit far for me.

I just hate paying somebody for something I could easily do myself. NOW I KNOW at least what to look at.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a great experience. I'm so glad it worked out for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So sorry for that huge bill..Im so glad that I have a Dh that can do. .fix... repair..anything ! He has saved us more money the all the money Ive saved us over the years..
    And Ive saved us $1000's & $1000's of dollars!