Want some Change

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Want some Change

Hi all, As many of you already know, I recently purchased a new home, well it is actually 29 years old. The house is wall to wal carpet. I'd like to change my Livingroom which isn't very large, to Hardwood floors. Eventually the Kitchen as well. Any hints or Ideas for ways to be MOST Frugal about it? I know Hardwoods is not very cheap, but since it's going on the floors shouldn't I put a little bit more into the price?

TIA,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you have a lumber mill anywhere nearby ask them if they can make hardwood flooring strips and how much $ they charge, some lumber mills make flooring at a good price, you install it and stain/varnish yourself. Also check and see if you have a flooring outlet in the area, sometimes they have good deals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw on Trading Spaces one time that they took the carpet out and had wood floors underneath instead of partical board.They ended up painting the floor green which I didn't like but I think something like that would look great finished.But that's just me.

Hardwood can be very expensive so shop around.It cost my friends mom $300 just to do a small entry way.My neighbor went to a factory outlet (Dalton Carpets here in GA) and redid her kitchen,living room and hallway for $400 when it would've cost well over $1000-$2000 to do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was just going to ask you if you knew what was under the carpeting. JALCCLARK you beat me to it. LOL. I would definitely shop around for the hardwood if you need it. Here's hoping you have it underneath.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm hoping it's already there as well!!! unless of course it is severly dammaged oh that gives me a head hurt just thinking about it! DH will check next month when we begin our project. We checked out pergo flooring at Home Depot and I think we figured $600.00 for the livingroom. I think that's a bit much, but he says we can do it,. It's not so much the money being a problem, It's I don't want to spend that money. does that make any scence?

Mommyof2lildivas
    Tourist

Makes sense to me. We are doing our family room in the next month and a half, and we're doing something like Pergo flooring and we estimated about 500.00. The rest of our house is already wood floors, they just need to be resanded and have a coat of polyurethane put over them.