DIY for Under $20
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default DIY for Under $20

No specific project type in mind but what are some DIY projects for your home or car that you've done for under $20?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I recycled an old quilted bedspread into covers for my lawn chair cushions - basically made large fitted pillowcases and used safety pins to close at the bottom. I made my own car "air freshener" by putting laundry scent booster pieces in a small mesh bag in the car.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can do a lot of little projects for $20 or less. For example, buy a can of paint. Sunlight light bulbs. Replace broken or cracked wall switch plates or outlet covers. (or just clean the ones you have). Floor mats near doors to collect tracked in dirt. Put down a pretty area rug. Upgrade drawer and cabinet pulls. Put shelf paper in cabinet drawers and under sinks. Replace the caulking in your shower/tub area. Buy a few small house plants and watch them grow. Put bulbs or perennials (the ones that come back every year) into your garden. If your windows have a lot of layered paint on the glass, get a scraper and clean them up. Use scented candles or air freshener (or just open a window). Get a throw for the couch to add some color. Replace pillow covers with new ones. Use a table cloth. Change the filter in your ventilation system.

But really, nothing improves a home like a good thorough cleaning.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    You can do a lot of little projects for $20 or less. For example, buy a can of paint. Sunlight light bulbs. Replace broken or cracked wall switch plates or outlet covers. (or just clean the ones you have). Floor mats near doors to collect tracked in dirt. Put down a pretty area rug. Upgrade drawer and cabinet pulls. Put shelf paper in cabinet drawers and under sinks. Replace the caulking in your shower/tub area. Buy a few small house plants and watch them grow. Put bulbs or perennials (the ones that come back every year) into your garden. If your windows have a lot of layered paint on the glass, get a scraper and clean them up. Use scented candles or air freshener (or just open a window). Get a throw for the couch to add some color. Replace pillow covers with new ones. Use a table cloth. Change the filter in your ventilation system.

But really, nothing improves a home like a good thorough cleaning.
    I agree a good clean and declutter helps a lot. end of season clearance pillow covers update looks for a little money or redo picture frames update. repurpose.. I found a woven piece that one kid did in a class that was like a scarf but thicker ..now is a runner on my coffee table. the colours match the couch and give the room a little pop of colour.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I want to add, for your car, the best thing you can do is maintenance. Put $20 a month aside for oil changes, filters, wipers, fluids etc. and the smaller repairs as needed. Nobody cares what your car looks like or how old it is. Someone will always have a newer car than you. You know that in the big city a new car never stays nice for long. Maintain it so it is reliable, that is what counts.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy a small $5 can of paint and do touch-ups- doors/walls/steps/window sills.....It makes it look like new.

I have gotten a grout tube/pen that is squeezed over the grout in the shower. Let it dry. It seals itself and makes the shower look new.

I have replaced cabinet hardware for a few bucks.

I have gotten a plastic runner and used finishing nails to cover the carpeted stairs and protect it in the basement. It has done its job well for many years.