What's your favorite food(s) from Aldi's? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We get all our main shopping done at Aldi, we discovered it's existence about three years ago when we moved, my BF and I got a place and my brother rented a room from us. Between rent and all the other living expenses that we did not depend on our parents for anymore we were in heaven when we saw those prices and to this day we have never spent more than a couple hundred for the month there. Really you have to just try out what they offer, I stay away from their meats because they just have never looked that appealing and sort of skimped also. I did buy a frozen chicken one time but the last time I went they were pathetically small. Once you see the prices on canned food, pasta, lunch meats, dairy products you will be able to compare and know whether or not it is better than your chain store brand. Also their cheese that is .99 it's called Lenders, its not real cheese, I found out it was imitation cheese when I was reading the receipt once. They have real cheese but it is a little bit more expensive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you all so VERY much! I dabbled in the dairy products a couple weeks ago, went back for basic milk and a couple canned goods after that, but today my Mister and I went fully ARMED with a list and completely restocked our baking goods and pantry.

So thank you to everyone for your good advice and suggestions about what you like and do not like. This has been very helpful. We left the store $150 lighter but that is a FAR cry from what we would have spent on the same load of stuff at our regular supermarket. That I know for sure!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now Sumacaoni Your turn

Tell us what you liked and didn't. My ds bought the cheese slices and I thought they were awful too. I have bought alot of their other cheeses and they were good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, yeah, of course! Well the canned veggies are just fine, we're not picky about those. We made the frozen tillapia fish filets tonight for dinner as well as the frozen scallops. They were pretty decent pan fried in olive oil and served with some lemon and seasoning.

My kids do like the boxed cereals (1.99 for 11 oz.) and the fruit filling pies (.49). The yogurt (.39) was good except my DD13 did not like the peach flavored one - raspberry and strawberry were good.

Milk 2% is 2.49 so that is a good price. The sour cream and cream cheese is good for dips and recipes. We haven't gotten any of the shredded or sliced cheeses, was a bit leery on those.

I got the bagged salad mix (.99) and I take that to work, 4 servings/bag gets me thru an entire week. We just bought some of their ranch and french salad dressing so I'll see how those are at work next week.

I bought frozen chicken breasts last week and we baked them for salad night at home, tasted same as any other brands we've gotten.

Daughter said the cookie dough ice cream is good - she's having a dish right now

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy lots of Aldi products - milk, butter, eggs, cheese, yogurt, olive oil.

My son loves Aldi's tartar sauce... but it is seasonal [winter, spring.]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Molemommy View Post
    There Frozen green beans are wonderfull.... The only ones I will buy... I just fry them in olive oil, onions, and garlic yummy
    Yep! They are delicous...these are our favs. too. I sautee mine in a cast iron skillet on med. high heat in a little water until they are cooked through & start to brown just a touch, then I'll add a touch of coconut oil & a tsp. of garlic, stir well and turn heat down to medium low until the garlic has had time to get warmed through.
    Sooo....good.

Now I want some of their green beans.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have gone back again in an attempt to cut the bill.
    NO to
    -cereals
    -milk
    -cheese slices
    -chips/cheeze its/dried nuts/canned nuts
    -meats they normally have
    -yogurt
    -frozen hash browns
    -most of their choc.
    -pop looks so toxic!

yes to
    -choc. donuts
    -bagels
    -wide pan breads
    -christmas hams
    -frozen juices
    -soups
    -red plastic cups
    -kidney beans-canned
    -tortillas
    -apples
    -kiwi-sometimes
    -oranges
    -bananas
    -cucumbers
    -pretzels
    -gummy bears
    -flour,sugar,salt,spices,brown sugar,conf. sugar
    -pickles
    -strawberry/kiwi and guava/melon? carton juices
    -ubake cookies
    -pie filling
    -burritos
    -cherry and reg. tomatoes
    -frozen cheesecake or cream puffs
    -paper towels

Registered User MakeADollarHollar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They are hit and miss for us.

Frozen turkey chub is do-able for the price but not the best quality. Ribs - never again. We actually returned them and got out money back (with no hassle which I really appreciated!). They were slimy and stinky right out of the package. After Christmas Sale I purchased a ham. Once cooked it was wicked salty, almost inedible. Their bacon is good...as good as the name brand stuff and several cents cheaper.

Seafood - all the labels I looked at originates from China. Sorry, can't do it, regardless of price. If they will poison our pets and children I'd rather purchase more expensive seafood that originates from US or Canadian waters that practice (somewhat) sustainable practices.

Haven't found a single lunch meat we could eat and enjoy. Always way too salty.

Shells and Cheese - looks like orange toxic waste and tastes almost the same.

Canned soups are really salty for us so I stick with Campbell's.

Their stew is good, better than Dinty Moore. Spam-like meat, not so much. We also like their Ravioli's as much as Chef Boy R Dee.

Most frozen foods (dinners, pizza's, etc.) are also too salty for us although I do like their Egg Rolls on occasion.

Their canned vegetables are fine for the price. Green beans often have a few stems in them, often I'll find some brown kernels in the corn but the peas and sweet potatoes seem to be fine.

Most of their canned fruits are fine, especially their pineapple. Fruit Cocktail has several pieces of bruised fruit but is still edible.

I recently discovered their Sweetened Condensed Milk is No-Where-Near as sweet as Carnation. Bummer because I just bought a full case of the stuff because I make my own Iced Coffee and use it as a sweetener.

Milk is fine although not as good tasting as area groceries. Sour Cream whether full-fat or reduced is thin and watery but do-able for most applications. Cheeses are fine, I actually like their selection but the "deli" slices don't freeze well at all. They dry out and crumble. Cream Cheese is good. Cottage Cheese is good.

Orange Juice in the carafe is good but the stuff from the box container (not from concentrate) tastes like soap (I'm not kidding!).

Fresh produce...it's always hit and miss. It can look good the day of shopping and turn bad two days later. I always inspect carefully but I've been burned plenty of times so I'm always wary.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aldis is about 10 minutes from me . I have purchased and enjoy their vanilla wafer cookies (nothing artificial in them), produce specials, salsa, corn chips, baggies, trash bags, kleenex, TP, peanuts, canned fruits (especially mandarin oranges).
    I do not like their brand of M+M's.
    I have to watch their prices very carefully as frequently I can get better buys at my local Mexican Supermarket.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MakeADollarHollar View Post
    . Sour Cream whether full-fat or reduced is thin and watery but do-able for most applications.
    Fresh produce...it's always hit and miss. It can look good the day of shopping and turn bad two days later. I always inspect carefully but I've been burned plenty of times so I'm always wary.
    Our scour cream from their is the opposite. It is very thick the thickest I have ever seen and we have to stir it a bunch to make it to dollop.

My Aldi's produce lasts at least a week many times more. We do have a high turn over of fruits and veggies at Aldi's. There are lots of people buying them. Always a busy section in the store. We also live very close to where the many of the produce says it is distributed from. I am sure both of those play into our fresh lang lasting produce from our Aldi's

I am feeling very lucky.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a standard list of what I get at Aldi every month. Some things I don't have to get every month, but when I do need them, Aldi is where I get them.

Vegetable/Canola oil
    Graham crackers
    Peanut butter
    Eggs
    Skim milk
    Butter sticks
    Margarine sticks
    Bottled water
    Canned veggies, tomatoes, fruit
    Hot dog chili
    Mac & cheese
    Foam plates
    Fresh fruits & veggies
    Crescent rolls, cinnamon rolls (their brand doesn't have Red 40)
    Frozen boneless chicken breast
    Frozen stir fry veggies
    Bread, english muffins, hot dog buns/hamburger buns

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh and brown sugar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can't edit my posts for some reason <. romaine lettuce hearts for and cottage cheese.>

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

forgot about the canola and veg oils
    cinnamon and reg. graham crackers
    I used to love their vanilla wafer but the box was diff last time and I am not sure if its a diff manuf.

As far as produce goes I find our downtown store awful but the new store a totally diff animal. The staff is much better too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never purchased anything there that we would not eat. I shop there first and then go to Save_a _lot to finish up. I only shop once a month so i am glad to just have to go to 2 places.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast